• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Suddenly tempted to restart

I can relate to how you feel quite a lot! Back in May I made a thread asking about people's thoughts on if I should restart. I was apprehensive because I had a lot things in the museum and DIYs, but didn't feel all that connected to my Island. I hadn't unlocked terraforming yet so people recommend I wait to do that.

Now it's nearing towards the end of July and restarting my Island is still something I think often about. I'm having a very hard time terraforming which is starting to wear down my motivation to play. I don't view restarting as a waste of time. It's more like a new adventure! You don't lose anything you cannot get back and would likely have more fun starting fresh. That is how I see it and is why I'm thinking I might restart. Especially since I have a theme in mind that doesn't really fit my current Island!

So honestly, I would say go for it! You have a plan of what you want, a theme. You have the urge to start fresh. You are able to get the villagers back easily and can drop bells/items in your friends game so you will have a comfy start. If I was in your shoes I would definitely restart. Hope this helps!

That'd be so cute! ^_^ It's ultimately up to whatever is the most fulfilling for you out of the two ways to go about it... What's the current name of your town? Maybe you can merge that theme a little with the Winnie the Pooh aspects. It's too bad you can't just change the name any time >_<

I'm getting closer, but never completely happy with my island and constantly redoing things. I personally would rather put the extra effort in to terraform everything than have to recollect all my diys, items, and pay off my houses and everything again... But I also had my main theme in mind when I started and am still happy with that and able to work around it... I think the only time I'd consider starting fresh is after not playing for a long time, that's how it always was with the previous games for me... But since release until now I don't think I've missed a day, so -- that's not happening for a while, lol

And also kanga and roo!!
Post automatically merged:

And then the person would be Christopher Robin

Then ofcourse blather is the owl!!

Also need one to be the rabbit and eeyore the donkey!!
This subject deserves a thread lol

It's okay if you want to restart... But you don't have to: You could just take all of what you have right now, and 'restart' your town with a total makeover of furniture, placements, etc.

The only practical reasons to completely start anew are:

1. You really dislike the beach layout - Like the river outlet and rock locations - Or the placement of permanent places, like the Plaza and Dodo Airlines.
2. You dislike your town's name and native fruit.
3. You overextended getting recipes and such via trades, and want to try getting everything on your own for a sense of accomplishment.
4. You just want to relive the sense of getting all the upgrades and such from day one - The nostalgic feel that games give you when you start a fresh new save file.

But otherwise, the customization options you have can pretty much spare any town from being a disaster. You just need to put some effort and planning into it.

It's okay if you want to restart... But you don't have to: You could just take all of what you have right now, and 'restart' your town with a total makeover of furniture, placements, etc.

The only practical reasons to completely start anew are:

1. You really dislike the beach layout - Like the river outlet and rock locations - Or the placement of permanent places, like the Plaza and Dodo Airlines.
2. You dislike your town's name and native fruit.
3. You overextended getting recipes and such via trades, and want to try getting everything on your own for a sense of accomplishment.
4. You just want to relive the sense of getting all the upgrades and such from day one - The nostalgic feel that games give you when you start a fresh new save file.

But otherwise, the customization options you have can pretty much spare any town from being a disaster. You just need to put some effort and planning into it.
I definitely would like to relive the early moments of the game, and sort of miss how simple it felt (I definitely went over board with the terraforming and it feels super cramped), wish my airport was a different color, and wouldn't mind resident services being farther from the airport. My island name also doesn't match the theme I'd like to go for, and tearing down all of the bridges and inclines along with all of the hills would take forever... I might just start to re-terraform parts of it and see how difficult it is!

Reading this thread makes me think about restarting as well lol. Still something holds me back.

I don't like the placement of resident services and my airport colour. I didn't even know about different airport colours until far into the game.

Reading this thread makes me think about restarting as well lol. Still something holds me back.

I don't like the placement of resident services and my airport colour. I didn't even know about different airport colours until far into the game.
Haha I feel the same way! I want to restart, and yet... I don't. I'm just worried I'll do it, and regret it.

Do what feels right to you, but starting over is also a chore. I personally wouldn't restart unless you want to change something you can't otherwise: shape, rocks, airport color, town hall placement, name and all that. I think that would be reasonable.

Replaying with more knowledge is definitely a better experience, but the game also drags on. You either don't time travel and wait a month to catch up or you go back in time and have things out of order because of the updates (for example, Leif shows up from the beginning and Redd shows up pretty soon too). It'll either be a slow or disgenuine experience from a game standpoint. I did the latter and just avoided things that weren't officially available then. It's just difficult to keep an island once you started resetting, so if you do it take your time with choosing.

I think (as of writing this right now) that I would only ever reset if that is only way to fix a problem I have with my island. I don't do a lot of online trading and I don't time travel, so most of the things I have achieved on my island are through 4 months of regular play. By resetting I would lose all that progress. Worse, my poor villagers! What will happen to them!

I'd rather tear down my island, however tedious that may be, and keep all that progress.

Personally I wouldn’t have the time or energy to restart now. I’ve collected way too many DIYs, clothes, insects, fish etc and the thought of going back and harvesting all those balloons for cherry blossom DIYs gives me nightmares. :LOL: Flattening my entire island and terraforming from scratch seems much less daunting. I don’t think I could be bothered unlocking all the buildings and the KK concert all over again either. If you have that willpower though then go for it.

I feel this, but for me, I am just bored of it. I feel like I have done everything. And by that I mean that each month I get all the fish/bugs/critters etc I need for the month and there is nothing left to do. I have been playing since launch, and have been out of work since two weeks after launch and playing 14 hours a day pretty much daily up until the last several weeks where I haven't bothered.

I have redone my island so many times and still not happy with it (and I am not very creative, I love seeing other peoples islands, but most of the fancy ones, while they look nice are just so "busy" and I don't want that for my own island) I think I want to start fresh just to have the thrill of something to work towards again. I was like this with PG, WW and NL as well though. I get everything to a certain point and I want to start all over again. With those games I could just buy a new cartridge, not so with this game :(

If you ain’t having fun, do what you must so you can have fun again!<:
Maybe you’ll regret resetting, maybe you won’t. Who knows! It’s good to get a fresh start though. I personally would just tear everything thing down but that’s just me! I used to reset a lot in NL and I was just never satisfied and was in a endless resetting loop hole. Be careful of that if you do reset. Good luck!

I feel like I am in the same boat as you... but I put in 500 hours. This is my first animal crossing game and wasn't sure what to expect or how to get a "good start". I am trying to redo my island bit by bit... but all the stuff is a hassle to move around like flowers and bushes that i actually want to use. I don't have a theme either because I didn't know what kinds of things were in the game. (or what existed in animal crossing prior to this game that could come in an update later)
I miss being able to just hop on and catch bugs and fish instead of the endless task of moving things around and terraforming forever.
But the thought of having to start over blank is discouraging to me.

I feel like I am in the same boat as you... but I put in 500 hours. This is my first animal crossing game and wasn't sure what to expect or how to get a "good start". I am trying to redo my island bit by bit... but all the stuff is a hassle to move around like flowers and bushes that i actually want to use. I don't have a theme either because I didn't know what kinds of things were in the game. (or what existed in animal crossing prior to this game that could come in an update later)
I miss being able to just hop on and catch bugs and fish instead of the endless task of moving things around and terraforming forever.
But the thought of having to start over blank is discouraging to me.
I feel the same way! I was to re-do everything so that the game is simpler once again, however getting to that point is a huge and tedious task. I wish we were able to have more than one island on a switch -- however I wonder if that was possible if I would ever really go back to this island if I started a new one? If I do decide to reset, I'll most likely take photos of every location and villager on this island so it's saved and that all of the hours put into it weren't a waste.

I keep talking myself out of it. But u may do it still... nervous
haha me too. I keep trying to convince myself it's like my character is moving to another island -- rather than deleting something I've spent so much time on 😅

haha me too. I keep trying to convince myself it's like my character is moving to another island -- rather than deleting something I've spent so much time on 😅
It took me so long to reset the last time and I want basically the same thing but a different native fruit and flower a long dock and extra northern rock peninsulas.. preferably maybe bigger beaches.... so I'm thinking I may honestly never find it

I feel the same way! I was to re-do everything so that the game is simpler once again, however getting to that point is a huge and tedious task. I wish we were able to have more than one island on a switch -- however I wonder if that was possible if I would ever really go back to this island if I started a new one? If I do decide to reset, I'll most likely take photos of every location and villager on this island so it's saved and that all of the hours put into it weren't a waste.
I guess in reality I wish there was an easier clean up method for the flowers and bushes. I am not sure I would want two islands myself. And the golden tools not break. I mean if I was to start again, I would do things alot differently than I have.

I think I am going to try to wait for one year of playing this game to go by before starting over but unsure if I want to do that. It is much better to play this game with some sort of plan in mind ahead of time of what you want instead of going into it blind and end up with a sandbox sketch island lol.

Back