• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Super Mario 64 Remake Suggestions (Part 7)

Alolan_Apples

Mollycord’s Exile
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
I am back with more remake suggestions. Today is only on Shifting Sand Land since this is a big one. I do plan on making more N64 remake blogs like Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong 64, Pokemon Snap, and Majora's Mask (which I need to play before I can evaluate). I can also cover Super Mario Sunshine for the GameCube and Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii. But for now, I'm doing Super Mario 64 remake suggestions.

Shifting Sand Land:

Just one level after my least favorite level is my favorite level, the Egyptian-themed level. I enjoyed climbing the Great Pyramid in the original version, but this level needs some serious overhaul. There needs to be graphics remake (like the pyramid to have actual crevices than just being painted), an expansion of the pyramid and world, and the following suggestions:

1. Add shy guys and more flyguys - one classic enemy the 3D Mario series lacks that I can find in Paper Mario is the Shy Guy. There are flyguys (which look like shy guys), but what about the shy guys?
  2. Redesign the pokeys - I like their form in Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy, but their SM64 form looks pretty bad. They even look better in Super Mario World.
  3. Add more ruined structures - just like what I suggested for Cool Cool Mountain and Haze Maze Cave, there needs to be more props, like damaged columns and a colonnade. A sphinx of Bowser might be interesting as well.
  4. Redesign the sandy textures - back then, different colors were good indicators of where to step and where not to step. Now I suggest there should be something else. The sand whirlpools should look like actual whirlpools, the dark sand should look like rumbling sand with waves with a slightly darker texture than the safe zones, and the zones to walk on are lighter in color.
  5. Add more platforms over the dark sand area - you know the area with these blocks rhat roll over, right? I would like to see more tiles, more gaps to long jump across, and thwomps like in Mario Kart 8.
  6. Remove the cannon and the Bob-omb buddy - when I played Super Mario 64 the past four to five times, I felt that the cannon in the back right corner is unnecessary. I used the pillars to grab the red coins instead of the cannon. There is no need for the cannon.
  7. Revamp and space out the four pillars - make them look more Egyptian to fit the level. And I prefer to space them out as long as the whole level gets expanded.
  8. Remove Bob-ombs from the level - I'm okay with the goombas, but there's no need for the Bob-ombs this time. While I suggest adding them in Cool Cool Mountain, I prefer to remove them here.
  9. Replace that mesh fence with stone walls - there are two things to do. One, make it taller to where the tornado can't even let Mario go over. And two, get rid of the metal grid and replace it with a stone wall. I may have said this a couple of times, but gameplay was the only thing that mattered. Now graphics and gameplay matter.
  10. Add more platforming elements in Shining Atop the Pyramid - while I want to widen some walkways because of how steep the slopes are and how you instantly die after falling off, I would also like gaps in these walkways. I could also take a mover that goes back and forth for you to cross.
  11. Add more platforming elements in Inside the Ancient Pyramid - along with making it bigger and taller, I suggest adding pushers and floors that pop in and out like in Whomp's Fortress, rollers with knobs like we see in Super Mario Sunshine, and see-saws like we see in the Bowser stages. I prefer less walking to add more challenge. It would also be better off if another story or two were added to the pyramid.
  12. Use actual thwomps and a boulder instead of the mummy blocks - a boulder like in Indiana Jones is better than the rolling enemy. And remember, the thwomps are better enemies than the mummified blocks.
  13. Make the second floor impossible to reach from the entry - yes, there's a part you can get early access to in this level too. When you're inside the great pyramid, you can skip walking all the way around by using triple jumps or somersaults to reach the ledge of the second floor. The pole is even there. Maybe they should make that area a bit taller to add more challenge.
  14. Make the sand in the pyramid a bottomless pit - you know, just like the darker sand from the back right section of the level. If you fall into the center, you will automatically sink with no control.
  15. Redesign the platforming elements for Pyramid Puzzle - I don't like the idea of falling off to grab some coins, so I would prefer to replace that with different platforming elements like in Lethal Lava Land's volcano to get some coins for the sixth star.
  16. Make the boss harder to fight - really, the boss is simple and easy to fight nowdays. You just need to punch both hands in the eyes three times and that's it. How about they make it a giant stone beast instead, and you punch it in the targets. Each time you do so, it will get shorter until it's down to two hands and a head.

And that's all for Shifting Sand Land. I hope you're enjoying these suggestion entries.

Again, the reason why the pyramid looks unrealistic is due to graphical limitations. I don't know if you've ever played SMG2, but the pyramid in the Slipsand galaxy, though far away, looks pretty good.

1. I would love to see Shy Guys in this game. I really liked them in Captain Toad Treasurer Tracker, and because there are already fly guys, why not add them?

2. NO! NO NO NO NOOOOOOO! BE NICE TO MY GRINDELS AND SPINDEL!!!!!

3. Well no matter how high you make the ledge we will always be able to jump onto the Grindel to skip part of the level... unless he is moved.

4. I don't mean to sound rude but that sounds like an awful idea. I don't know what could be too bad with it, but hopping across the sand when you get stuck in it is way better than falling into it like I did a thousand times trying to get on that one pillar...

5. Well, it gives the star a challenge, I suppose if you could die instantly by falling trn you definitely wouldn't want to fall!

6. There's a lot of other bosses that are easy to fight nowadays too. I suppose you could make Eyerok have more hit points to make it take longer to beat. And we already have stone beasts hehe childhood memories kicking in!!!!!!!

Oh crap I missed a part!!! Your numbering is a bit weird...

2. Graphical limitations!!! This might come up a few times, especially in an N64 game.

3. It could definitely enhance the overall look of the level.

4. This might be partially graphical linitations but I also blame the people who made the textures. There is a texture in OOT that looks like vomit on a platform!!! Ew!

5. It would be nice, but it might help people figure out how to skip to the puramid quickly. Also, use a Grindel there, not a thwomp.

6. Well not everyone is so skilled. I still haven't gotten the red coin star in that level! And it's the only one I don't have there.

7. I'm just gonna leave that thought there...

8. They really don't have a reason to be there but hey, neither do Goombas!

9. I didn't know you could go over that fence. I've tried so many times... Also. If it's going to be a stone wall, it should probably be a thin wall, because if it were a think wall I would probably want to barf on it.

0. Oh please no... I hate that puramid as it is... Though, if it is wider and easier to control then it might not be too bad.

What do you have to say about Tox Boxes? Should they retain their original appearence? Or should they be designed like they are now?

Last edited:
Well since I can't post a picture as a comment I'll just tell you...

Did you know that the Spindel has been one of my favorite enemies for about 5 years? I got the game again 5 years ago. I think that the Spindel and Chill Bully are underrated. I have like 13 drawings of him on my DSi and a few on my 3DS. It's pretty much the same with Grindels. I think they're cute!

Back