• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Talking a villager to death causes them to move?

Rhuenkun

Take over the universe~
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Tonight as I was going through my Tumblr, I found an interesting post on how to move out an unwanted villager. She just spam talked the villager until the thought bubble appeared on their head, and then two days later the villager pinged to move.

Is this legit? Or is it just a myth? I might do some experimenting tonight or tomorrow, but can anyone confirm if this is true?

I've never heard of anything like that before. Either completely ignoring or always talking to a villager will be your best chance to get them to move but I'd say there is nothing to this theory. I'd say it's a myth unless there is a lot of testing done with consistent results but it just sounds too random to be true.

Last edited:
I've never heard of anything like that before. Either completely ignoring or always talking to a villager will be your best chance to get them to move but I'd say there is nothing to this theory. I'd say it's a myth unless there is a lot of testing done with consistent results but it just sounds too random to be true.

Yeah, I thought it seemed too easy as well. But I've never had my villagers use the 'thought' icon on me, so it wouldn't hurt to try.

i've talked to my villagers enough to get them to that point more than once, and they didn't ping to move because of it. they did ping eventually, but it was weeks later so i'd say that's a myth

i've heard the higher your friendship the more likely they are to move, maybe that had something to do with it? or maybe it was just a coincidence

Haha when I "talk my villagers to death" they give me the thought bubble emote and ask me to give them some time alone ;__; I don't know whether either theories are true ;u; but when a villager I didn't like (Cesar *^*) moved in, I ignored him for like 2-3 weeks and he never bothered moving ;0;. But some of my favourite villagers I talk to all the time ask to move constantly~ :c Some people say its a friendship thing? If you're good enough friends they'll ask to move? Who knows~ 8D

Tonight as I was going through my Tumblr, I found an interesting post on how to move out an unwanted villager. She just spam talked the villager until the thought bubble appeared on their head, and then two days later the villager pinged to move.

Is this legit? Or is it just a myth? I might do some experimenting tonight or tomorrow, but can anyone confirm if this is true?

This happened to me with Annalise. She moved in,i talked to her until thought bubble,then 2 days later she pinged to move. Probably just coincidence though,since I talked to Diana until the thought bubble appeared and she still has not pinged.

I've always thought talking puts you into the 'befriending' quest :/
Even if you do spam-talk to them

- - - Post Merge - - -

And before, I also spam-talked to two of my villagers, I don't think I recall them pinging afterwards :confused:

I tried it tonight and it worked for me.

I talked Tia to death, then TT'ed two days ahead and she pinged me to leave.

I also think it depends on the friendship level and how many villagers you have in your town, as I first tried it with Julian (who gave me his pic before so we are best friends) and it didn't work. I tried it with Tia who I don't have a good friendship with and she pinged to leave two days later.

I talked Julian to death and he only wanted to move a month later -_-

I think this partially works as the more you talk to a villager, the more your friendship level with that villager goes higher. And villagers with high friendships tend to ping more. But on a side note, it might of been completely random that the villager decided to ping two days later. ^.^

Some people almost took the thread title literally and was like o_O

Last edited:
It's a myth, pretty sure. I spam talk 3 of my villagers all the time to get them to say who is moving, and I've gotten them to thought bubbles stage more than once every other day, and they never ping right after it. Maybe they do... after someone else has pinged. Derp.

I think it was just a coincidence.

I talk to my villagers to death a lot ~ they're always walking around, thinking. Probably thinking about how to shut me up. ;D

Some people almost took the thread title literally and was like o_O

My apologies to anyone who did take this seriously.When I saw this on tumblr last night, I took it very seriously. I thought it was legit, so I just came to ask if it was true.

I don't post much on these forums anymore (mostly lurking), so I'm sorry if my title was 'misleading'. :/

Last edited:
I think the best way to get a villager, who hasn't pinged, to be on the move is to create a new human character. Have that human character introduce himself/herself to all villagers. Then for a week in game-date period, have that new human character converse with all villagers except for the one you're wanting to move out. It isn't fool-proof; but I was able to get it to happen that way in my original town Applewin with Lazy villagers Clyde and Simon.

It's just a coincidence. I've talked Limberg to death so many times, and he still hasn't pinged me to move (it's been like... 4 months). I wish it were that easy.

My apologies to anyone who did take this seriously.When I saw this on tumblr last night, I took it very seriously. I thought it was legit, so I just came to ask if it was true.

I don't post much on these forums anymore (mostly lurking), so I'm sorry if my title was 'misleading'. :/

Don't worry too much about it. :D It was a joke :3 The thread was just titled wrongly :) So it is okay. Not everyone took it as serious. As I said, only some took the title to serious,but I'm not sure if anyone did though :D

Back