• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

The ACNH Rant Thread

@Moritz Yeah that was what kept happening to me. All I wanted was to smooth out a tiny little curve in the river so it didn't look so blocky and choppy and it was torture lol. I finally managed to get it right, but then something else looked wrong so I tried to fix that and would undo the perfect curve.

It's why if I decide to play New Horizons again, I'm just going to stay away from island designer. I just stink at terraforming and it adds a lot of unwanted stress to my life. I probably won't even buy the permits unless we get some magical update that actually makes terraforming tolerable. But I'll take new characters or something like a farming mechanic over terraforming any day. Especially if said character happens to be Gracie.

But I'll take new characters or something like a farming mechanic over terraforming any day. Especially if said character happens to be Gracie.

Still waiting on those vegetables from the datamine!

You know...I was so sure last year that they were going to introduce the vegetables as ingredients to complete a Turkey Day DIY set. I looked at that pumpkin pie and thought to myself...I wanted that. It was so disappointing.

It's why if I decide to play New Horizons again, I'm just going to stay away from island designer. I just stink at terraforming and it adds a lot of unwanted stress to my life. I probably won't even buy the permits unless we get some magical update that actually makes terraforming tolerable. But I'll take new characters or something like a farming mechanic over terraforming any day. Especially if said character happens to be Gracie.
I wanna design my island but the method and tools they gave us suck so bad, it makes it unmotivating to do so.

Still waiting on those vegetables from the datamine!

You know...I was so sure last year that they were going to introduce the vegetables as ingredients to complete a Turkey Day DIY set. I looked at that pumpkin pie and thought to myself...I wanted that. It was so disappointing.
Back when pumpkins came last year, I was pretty sure we would get more crops to grow. Especially corn during summer. They actually have corn stalk furniture pieces from NL. It's really a shame they slept on a good idea.

Dear golden trout,

I hate you so much. Why can't you just cooperate and get your fishy butt in my museum where you belong? :mad:
Yes, yes, 100 times yes. That stupid fish stressed me out so darn much! Seriously, the spawn rate is actually dumb. I would spend days upon days trying to get the golden trout, but to no avail. It's seriously frustrating! You're not alone, my friend.

Yeah its probably best to just take things simple and not bother so much with the terraforming. Usually what I do is just fix the rivers to make them the right size and width to put bridges on them and then I make sure to fix up the cliffs to put the inclines in places that work well. If you want to see my 2nd island (Brooklyn) its my signature as like an example of what I did. I kept the map layout the same and I didn't change the layout all that much. I still kept it simple while at the same time made it really straight forward.

It’s definitely possible to create beautiful islands without terraforming. Some of my personal favorite islands were on New Leaf. Terraforming isn’t necessary by any means, and I find that it’s less stressful to not terraform. Don’t feel pressured to terraform just because everyone else is doing it. Animal Crossing is meant to be a relaxing and stress-free game. If a feature in this game is causing stress, you don’t have to utilize it. It’s a game that can be played at your own pace. Have fun with it.

I hate it when fences "eat" bugs (or in this case an arthropod) Was about to catch a scorpion last night. It ran into one of the fences I had around a villager's yard and *POOF*! Gone!

This happens with all bugs, even ones that can fly.

So I read that you used to be able to read museum descriptions in AC, but that is no longer so. That's disappointing, because I just found out that you couldn't find out about each creature's interesting trivia from Blathers... if you mass-donate all your creatures! GAH! I found this out all too late, and closing the game did nothing to revert the damage, so I have to Google each creature I donated and read the description from the wiki. Talk about immersion-breaking... Speaking of which, can we have a manual save system like in Pokémon so that we could reverse this kind of goof-up?

Honestly, there should've been a warning label for something like this. Like, "Warning! If you donate all your creatures at once, you'll miss out on one of the most interesting features of the game: learning about the stuff you're putting on display!" Sigh.

Oh well. Time to reset the game.

But for real: other stuff I could tolerate, like not being able to get some stupid achievement like Cast Master because I suck at gaming, but this... this is just frustrating. If your game's main appeal is the immersion of its atmosphere, it's kinda important that you get this sort of thing right. This is a major letdown that has soured my experience, especially after my heightened expectation yesterday from Sasey's tour in his museum. This is definitely something that should've been in the tutorial for something for beginners who have no idea what they're doing. It's not like accidentally giving away your portable radio to a villager and buying it back (which I did). You can't "buy back" the experience of learning about creatures you worked so hard to catch.

And sure, you could always catch it again and get Blathers to talk about it... unless it's a rare or even uncommon creature that's difficult to encounter and possibly difficult to catch! Like, hello? Nintendo, ever heard of a thing called, oh I don't know... the Pokédex?!!! The thing where you can find out interesting information about the creatures you catch without stepping out of the game? If you could implement that for a game series that you've been developing for decades, you didn't think to implement it in an upgraded Switch version of your other popular franchise? The one where immersion is a bigger appeal factor on your huge TV? If I sit comfortably on my bed playing my Switch, I don't want to have to get up so that I could Google on my PC each creature I've accidentally donated without learning about them. Could you imagine if a kid played this game and accidentally mass-donated them? Then the father, if he's an AC fan and found out about this, would probably have to have his kid sit on his lap as they Google all day the creatures his son didn't get to learn about... "Isn't that an interesting fact, son? Ow, my legs are starting to get numb... Yeah, just imagine my voice sounds like Blather's often amusing voice chords, son. Good time to practice that imagination of yours!"

Also, why isn't there a better interface to see which creature you've donated? Why do I have to go to Critterpedia and see each creature I've caught to see which I've donated, and which I might have accidentally sold in the past? Why not just have some kind of indicator to better show that?

But anyway, that's your tip for the day, AC Newcomers: DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT mass-donate creatures if you're playing for the first time, period. If you will excuse me, I have some creatures to Google and imagine their descriptions in Blather's voice... while uncomfortably turning back to my TV with each creature I Google on my PC. You know, it's a good thing the hardworking men and women of Fandom Wiki enter the data from these games so we could conveniently browse through them. If it didn't exist, my AC experience would've been far more unpleasant than it already is.

Last edited:
So I read that you used to be able to read museum descriptions in AC, but that is no longer so.
Definitely one of their weirder decisions.. I also miss being able to read about the donations in the museum. How hard could it have been to just copy and paste what Blathers says at least, for each fish and bug and fossil?

I used to leave my game open every day to check in at night to find Celeste, but she comes so rarely that I got tired of it and lost interest. Circling my island every night is kind of annoying just for the low chance of seeing her and I wish she appeared more regularly.

I used to leave my game open every day to check in at night to find Celeste, but she comes so rarely that I got tired of it and lost interest. Circling my island every night is kind of annoying just for the low chance of seeing her and I wish she appeared more regularly.

IIRC She can come a minimum of once a week only when there's a meteor shower. I would use your weather seed so you better know when she shows up. If you have 0 meteor showers for the next 30 days, it would be a waste to open the game and check over the next 30 days, for example.

I went to my friend's island and she had a meteor shower and I asked if she had Celeste. She told me that she haven't seen her. We searched all around the island for like 25 minutes and we could not find her. Which is strange to me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do remember there was a glitch where Isabelle would not mention shooting stars, but it did happened and Celeste was there. I am not sure if they changed this in recent updates, but for some reason I have a hard time looking for Celeste whenever a shooting star was happening.

I went to my friend's island and she had a meteor shower and I asked if she had Celeste. She told me that she haven't seen her. We searched all around the island for like 25 minutes and we could not find her. Which is strange to me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do remember there was a glitch where Isabelle would not mention shooting stars, but it did happened and Celeste was there. I am not sure if they changed this in recent updates, but for some reason I have a hard time looking for Celeste whenever a shooting star was happening.
I don’t think there is a guarantee of Celeste whenever there is shooting stars. She does appear weekly in the evenings, however.

Isabelle doesn't mention light meteor showers, which I'm pretty sure isn't a glitch, but Celeste can still show up then. She also only shows up once a week at most, so if you have multiple light showers in a week without noticing it, you might not find her even though there's a meteor shower. Besides that, Celeste can't show up on Saturdays.

It might just also be that she showed up, but you couldn't find her, of course. Personally, I've noticed she always switches between my only two level three areas, so check higher ground first, as well as any areas you've already found her.

Isabelle doesn't mention light meteor showers, which I'm pretty sure isn't a glitch, but Celeste can still show up then. She also only shows up once a week at most, so if you have multiple light showers in a week without noticing it, you might not find her even though there's a meteor shower. Besides that, Celeste can't show up on Saturdays.

It might just also be that she showed up, but you couldn't find her, of course. Personally, I've noticed she always switches between my only two level three areas, so check higher ground first, as well as any areas you've already found her.
Oh okay. Man I get this confused sometimes.

It's possible to have more than 1 shower a week, so if you have a shower but she is nowhere to be found, it's likely she had already come that week, or is planning on coming later that week.

Back