• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Differences between the US and UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alolan_Apples

Old > New
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Today, I decided to start an interesting thread comparing and contrasting cultural differences between two major English speaking countries, the United States and the United Kingdom. If you find anything similar between the two or something different, you can post here. However, I will not tolerate any kind of fighting. It's okay to admit that the UK is better than the US or vice versa, but bragging is not cool. Any kind of arguments or fighting (such as fighting over the existence of God), and this thread will be done. We must be civil.

One difference I find between the US and UK is the language differences, mainly the spelling. For example, words ending with an -nse is spelled as -nce. Or words ending with an -ize in the US is -ise. And what about the u's and z's? There's more z's in American language than there are in British language, while the British uses the u's.

Examples:

US - UK
Realize - Realise
Offense - Offence
Color - Colour

Another interesting difference is the definition of "first floor". In the UK, the "first floor" is the first floor above ground floor, while in the US, the "first floor" is the ground floor. I wonder if there is a thirteenth floor in the UK.

I always notice cultural differences more with TV shows, mostly because the US is more ignorant to the rest of the world.

- In the UK we get all the US shows unchanged and as they were intended.
- In the US they take a popular UK TV show, 'Americanize' it and let it fade into obscurity because it was awful and totally lacked everything the original had.

Red Dwarf is my favorite example of this. They took a popular British comedy and turned it into a serious action drama. I mean, what the hell, America? It never got past the pilot episode. It wasn't even 'so bad it's funny', it was just bad.

The IT Crowd was another. They took the first episode and recreated it word for word, replacing British idioms so that Americans would understand it. It was just awful though, you could tell the actors missed the point, as well as them being awful. Again, didn't get past the pilot episode.

I hear Top Gear US failed pretty hard...

Inbetweeners US...My Lord...I didn't like the Inbetweeners anyway but then I saw Inbetweeners US. This one was so bad that I watched the original and thought "this isn't so bad in comparison" and somewhat became a fan...I mean, how bad do you have to be to make somebody a fan of the original by comparison!?

It's a common thing and it's happened with tons of shows but Americans are just generally ignorant to the rest of the world. You couldn't release a British show over there because they wouldn't be able to comprehend simple things like the British call 'fries' chips and call 'chips' crisps. Their heads would literally explode whilst trying to understand those differences.

Meanwhile, we just get almost everything without changes because we know what these American phrases mostly mean. We didn't get Breaking Bad UK with Walter White cooking meth in his people carrier on the coast of Dorset.

It's a common thing and it's happened with tons of shows but Americans are just generally ignorant to the rest of the world. You couldn't release a British show over there because they wouldn't be able to comprehend simple things like the British call 'fries' chips and call 'chips' crisps. Their heads would literally explode whilst trying to understand those differences.

Meanwhile, we just get almost everything without changes because we know what these American phrases mostly mean. We didn't get Breaking Bad UK with Walter White cooking meth in his people carrier on the coast of Dorset.

I love it when people stereotype an entire country of people.

I find Canada interesting because we inherit a lot from UK and USA. For example, we have the language of the UK although our TV and food is similar to the USAs.

I always notice cultural differences more with TV shows, mostly because the US is more ignorant to the rest of the world.

- In the UK we get all the US shows unchanged and as they were intended.
- In the US they take a popular UK TV show, 'Americanize' it and let it fade into obscurity because it was awful and totally lacked everything the original had.

Red Dwarf is my favorite example of this. They took a popular British comedy and turned it into a serious action drama. I mean, what the hell, America? It never got past the pilot episode. It wasn't even 'so bad it's funny', it was just bad.

The IT Crowd was another. They took the first episode and recreated it word for word, replacing British idioms so that Americans would understand it. It was just awful though, you could tell the actors missed the point, as well as them being awful. Again, didn't get past the pilot episode.

I hear Top Gear US failed pretty hard...

Inbetweeners US...My Lord...I didn't like the Inbetweeners anyway but then I saw Inbetweeners US. This one was so bad that I watched the original and thought "this isn't so bad in comparison" and somewhat became a fan...I mean, how bad do you have to be to make somebody a fan of the original by comparison!?

Shameless US is doing pretty good.

The Office US was infinitely better than the Office UK

I almost wish you did, because the thought of this is cracking me up way too much.

I'd watch it.

I love it when people stereotype an entire country of people.

If there wasn't a large enough amount of the population who this didn't apply to then they wouldn't do US versions of things, they would just show the original. This says that the stereotype holds ground to at least some degree.

Besides, the people actually bringing these shows to America stereotyping by thinking their own country is too stupid to understand that 'sneakers' are trainers...

- - - Post Merge - - -

Shameless US is doing pretty good.

The Office US was infinitely better than the Office UK

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

Besides, the people actually bringing these shows to America stereotyping by thinking their own country is too stupid to understand that 'sneakers' are trainers...

Except in America, trainers means someone who assists another person by training them to do something.

The vocabulary in both countries is completely different. You're showing an extremely ignorant point of view yourself by stereotyping Americans that way.

pro hypocrite 2k15 let's critique americans for being ignorant by holding my own ignorant beliefs

Being in Canada we get wonderful things from both countries. I especially love living under 2 hours from the US border because of great sales and snacks, though not at this exchange rate :/ I have been to the UK multiple times and I love it. I'm not sure what to add to this thread so I'm just going to compare random things.

Parliamentary democracy > Presidential democracy
British pop music > American pop music
Big Brother UK > Big Brother US
Cadbury > Hershey's
Topshop > Forever 21

However!

American Airlines > British Airways (just personal experience)
American potato chips > British crisps (who the **** thought prawn cocktail flavour was a good idea???)
American takeout > British takeaway
American snacks > any snacks in any country I've ever been to
Republic > Monarchy
American prices > British prices

We have Doctor Who, automatically making us better.

No, I'm only joking. Well, kind of.

Last edited:
Being in Canada we get wonderful things from both countries. I especially love living under 2 hours from the US border because of great sales and snacks, though not at this exchange rate :/ I have been to the UK multiple times and I love it. I'm not sure what to add to this thread so I'm just going to compare random things.

Parliamentary democracy > Presidential democracy
British pop music > American pop music
Big Brother UK > Big Brother US
Cadbury > Hershey's
Topshop > Forever 21

However!

American Airlines > British Airways (just personal experience)
American potato chips > British crisps (who the **** thought prawn cocktail flavour was a good idea???)
American takeout > British takeaway
American snacks > any snacks in any country I've ever been to
Republic > Monarchy
American prices > British prices

oh gawd prawn cocktail sounds terrible for chips

I'll take the salt and vinegar any day

I am thankful we have Cadbury mini eggs over here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back