• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Differences between the US and UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh gawd prawn cocktail sounds terrible for chips

I'll take the salt and vinegar any day

I am thankful we have Cadbury mini eggs over here

I'm glad you guys have Cadbury mini eggs too because everyone deserves those delectable morsels.
Do you have these though? I know MA and NY don't but idk about other states:
IMG_4561.jpg

I'm glad you guys have Cadbury mini eggs too because everyone deserves those delectable morsels.
IMG_4561.jpg

My store sells the Roast Almond (ew, allergic), milk chocolate (gotta try sometime), and the fruit & nut (ew nuts also it has almonds gdi).

IMG_4561.jpg

I think I've seen Cadbury in stores here, but not those flavors. I forget what they had in stock, though :/

Last edited:
IMG_4561.jpg

What are these exactly? I don't think I've seen them, but I may have just been missing all this time.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm in the US and I spell everything the way they do in the UK

I flip-flop between the two pretty randomly.

Last edited:
Neither of them are Australia so they have that in common..

At one stage they were doing an american remake of the Inbetweeners movie called Virgins America.

Neither of them are Australia so they have that in common.

At one stage they were doing an american remake of the Inbetweeners movie called Virgins America.

That is totally true. I bet Jubs would say the same thing about Canada rather than Australia.

Anyway, what America needs is 2-story buses like Britain. We have 2-story trains, but not 2-story buses. But Americans value cars more than the British (I think). Maybe our motto should be "In cars we trust".

That is totally true. I bet Jubs would say the same thing about Canada rather than Australia.

Anyway, what America needs is 2-story buses like Britain. We have 2-story trains, but not 2-story buses. But Americans value cars more than the British (I think). Maybe our motto should be "In cars we trust".

we have double decker buses already.

???
I live in the SF Bay, and I see 2-story buses fairly frequently.

Last edited:
I am from England so I will focus on that. It would be unfair to bring Northern Ireland, Wales, and Scotland in to this as I don't actually know much about them but I am aware they're quite different to England culturally. I've only been to Wales and not the others, and that was only for a week if I recall correctly.

• English humour is very different from American humour. Most Americans I've met don't even understand sarcasm.

• Our basic use of language is different - such as with spelling, as most other people have mentioned. We also have a lot of different slang. Some of which would be unexceptable or just downright confusing to people in America, so I'm just going to leave it at that.

• Cultural differences. Most people are thought of as an adult around the age of 18 in England. Able to drink, gamble, vote, drive, join the army, and so on. America values religion a lot more. America is cheaper and they earn more, thus Americans typically have larger houses than people in England. I guess, it's also sorta worth mentioning that swearing is a lot more taboo in America. It's considered a lot more casual and normal here.

• Food differences, American food is more bland and their chocolate is weird. Please learn to cook steak right. English food has stupid names, example; spotted ****. Also tipping. Americans tend to tip 15-20% on top of the price of their bill and they even tip if the service and food is bad. We tip in England but less. Unlike in America the staff are paid an living and do not survive on tips.

• America gets media such as TV shows, movies, and video games long before we do.

• Holidays, America has more than England with days like Thanksgiving. England has some different ones too but they're pointless like Boxing Day.

• Americans are a lot more patriotic to the extent it's both hilarious and terrifying. Seriously, you pledge allegiance to a flag daily?

• Walking is less common in America. They seem to always drive even when distances are really short and would actually be quicker on foot.

Last edited:
I am from England so I will focus on that. It would be unfair to bring Northern Ireland, Wales, and Scotland in to this as I don't actually know much about them but I am aware they're quite different to England culturally. I've only been to Wales and not the others, and that was only for a week if I recall correctly.

? English humour is very different from American humour. Most Americans I've met don't even understand sarcasm.

? Our basic use of language is different - such as with spelling, as most other people have mentioned. We also have a lot of different slang. Some of which would be unexceptable or just downright confusing to people in America, so I'm just going to leave it at that.

? Cultural differences. Most people are thought of as an adult around the age of 18 in England. Able to drink, gamble, vote, drive, join the army, and so on. America values religion a lot more. America is cheaper and they earn more, thus Americans typically have larger houses than people in England. I guess, it's also sorta worth mentioning that swearing is a lot more taboo in America. It's considered a lot more casual and normal here.

? Food differences, American food is more bland and their chocolate is weird. Please learn to cook steak right. English food has stupid names, example; spotted ****. Also tipping. Americans tend to tip 15-20% on top of the price of their bill and they even tip if the service and food is bad. We tip in England but less. Unlike in America the staff are paid an living and do not survive on tips.

? America gets media such as TV shows, movies, and video games long before we do.

? Holidays, America has more than England with days like Thanksgiving. England has some different ones too but they're pointless like Boxing Day.

? Americans are a lot more patriotic to the extent it's both hilarious and terrifying. Seriously, you pledge allegiance to a flag daily?

? Walking is less common in America. They seem to always drive even when distances are really short and would actually be quicker on foot.

I just wanna address a few of these

1) YES THE HUMOR AND USE OF LANGUAGE AND SLANG IS VERY DIFFERENT WHY DID SOME OTHER PERSON IN THE THREAD NOT GET THIS.
2) I have to disagree on the age thing. It's the same here, 18 year olds are adults. That can't drink. Other than, yeah, the cultural differences you mentioned are the same.
3) What's the right way to cook steak? LOL SPOTTED **** YES HAHAHAHAAHA
4) Yeah that's true on the video games. Movies too? :/
5) We also have the Fourth of July, aka the "**** you" to England ;)
6) This is actually a stereotype. Maybe it's just my area, but we never do the pledge of allegiance in middle school and high school, and I'm in the suburbs of Washington D.C.
7) Depends on where you live tbh.

Most Americans I've met don't even understand sarcasm.

Yeah, I don't!

Also tipping. Americans tend to tip 15-20% on top of the price of their bill and they even tip if the service and food is bad. We tip in England but less. Unlike in America the staff are paid an living and do not survive on tips.

Wow, I'm incredibly cheap then.

I'll only tip 10% max, and if I've had problems that tip drops to even less.

England has some different ones too but they're pointless like Boxing Day.

fun fact: for the longest time I thought Boxing Day was a holiday related to the boxing sport

• Americans are a lot more patriotic to the extent it's both hilarious and terrifying. Seriously, you pledge allegiance to a flag daily?

No, I was sleeping.

• Walking is less common in America. They seem to always drive even when distances are really short and would actually be quicker on foot.

I walk eeeeeeverywhere.

But yeah, most of America is a bunch of lazy ****s it seems.

Last edited:
You forgot your top hat in this debate, America...

EGUuWLxm.png

- Tim Horton's (my love)
- Maple Syrup
- Kinder Eggs are legal
- Colourful, plastic (a.k.a. indestructible) money that smells like maple syrup
- Everyone is ridiculously polite and apologetic over nothing
- Poutine
- TIM HORTON'S
- MAPLE SYRUP

*Slinks out clutching bottle of maple syrup*
Please don't kill me for stereotyping an entire country.

I just wanna address a few of these

1) YES THE HUMOR AND USE OF LANGUAGE AND SLANG IS VERY DIFFERENT WHY DID SOME OTHER PERSON IN THE THREAD NOT GET THIS.
2) I have to disagree on the age thing. It's the same here, 18 year olds are adults. That can't drink. Other than, yeah, the cultural differences you mentioned are the same.
3) What's the right way to cook steak? LOL SPOTTED **** YES HAHAHAHAAHA
4) Yeah that's true on the video games. Movies too? :/
5) We also have the Fourth of July, aka the "**** you" to England ;)
6) This is actually a stereotype. Maybe it's just my area, but we never do the pledge of allegiance in middle school and high school, and I'm in the suburbs of Washington D.C.
7) Depends on where you live tbh.

Oh, I thought 21 was an adult in America. Fair enough.

The right way to cook steak is so that it's not burnt. My preference is blue (still bleeding), but so long as it isn't burnt it's fine. Most Americans I know, primarily from Texas, burn their steaks right through. Making them too tough, dry, and it gets rid of all the flavour. (Also I actually really like spotted **** but I hate ordering it. They really need to rename it in restaurants.)

Yeah. The worst offender seems to be animated movies. We had to wait around 3 months longer for Big Hero 6.

Oh, I thought most American schools did it daily. At least that's the impression I got from what I've read online. Maybe it's just certain states? ...Honestly, I poke fun at that but my school made us do prayer daily and we weren't a religious school so eh. It's not the same thing but it's equally dumb*. [*Religion isn't dumb. Forcing non religious kids and kids of different religions pray to Jesus is.]

- - - Post Merge - - -

fun fact: for the longest time I thought Boxing Day was a holiday related to the boxing sport

As a kid so did I. Needless to say, I was very disappointed when I found out how boring the day actually is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back