• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Town size?

legendarysaiken

www.neogeeked.com
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
I keep looking, but I'm not sure if it really is or not. I did a search here, too.
How big is the town in comparison to the Gamecube version? :confused:

Thanks!

Much smaller if you don't count the shopping/HRA showcase neighborhood.

GC had 15 villagers, NL has 10 (though I've only ever seen 9 in anyone's village.

In terms of acres I think AC:NL comes out 4x5 with the ocean stretching a little further. So about 2/3's the Gamecube version in terms of area. (6x5)

Though we do have the separate shopping district and I think the Islands a bit bigger. (and far more ocean)

EDIT: I think towns now vary from 8-10 villagers, and you have the campsite which is practically a +1 when people visit. So 8-11.
I've heard mixed reasons for the villager number though, from more villagers for perfect towns to only being able to get a 10th villager if you invite them from the campsite or another town. And I keep hearing things about there being potentially 12 villagers but I think this is just a misprint in a guide because I have counted on every map I have set eyes on and never seen proof of this.

Last edited:
The main town area is about the same size as WW, with the addition of the beach, the water you can swim in and Main Street. A lot of the shops are on Main Street now so there is a lot more room in the town.

So the New Leaf town size is five acres across, four acres down with each acre containing 16 spaces?

I wish we could have 20 villagers

Haha oh no, I couldn't maintain that many relationships to get pictures, I'd never have time to fish, bug, visit the island, harvest fruit, look after the town. I'm getting anxious just thinking about 20!

I wish there was a way to chose your own limit really, like have the moving in sign board as a project.

And yeah, the town should feel more spacious compared to AC:pG where villagers couldn't move into the top row / same acre as landmarks, effectively making it so 17-19 acres out of 30 could have villagers. Now they can stick their houses one square from anything so the only large spaces they can't be is the tiled plaza and beach.

I'm fairly certain it is 5 across and 4 down where each is 16x16. But I'm pretty sure the beach counts in that space.
Though I've heard it could be 14x14 now, but that might just be for perfect town calc, and not affecting the town size. (though I have seen nothing to prove this either way, and may just be quoting a mistake)

I wish we could have 20 villagers

Not when the 10 or so New Leaf has can move in anywhere they please.... like in the Tourism Trailer #3, a villager moved right in front of the town hall. :|

As for the size of the town itself, I like it, even though it may be smaller than previous games.
Counting acres was a pain for me in Wild World & City Folk.

Here me out guys..Next installment should have some new town ordinances that will let you choose maybe a quiet or bustling village, reducing or adding to your villager limit.
Yeah, genius right there lol

I wish there was a way to chose your own limit really, like have the moving in sign board as a project.

Yea for sure!

And thanks for the info everyone!

So it's definitely bigger than Wild World as a whole? Well for a handheld, that'll be good.
I bet the Wii U version will be much bigger, too.

Personally I will like the town being smaller than the gamecube one, it was too big I thought not looking forward to not having the cliffs though.

I'm not too happy with the size of the map. Is it really bigger than WW? Doesn't feel like it.

Here me out guys..Next installment should have some new town ordinances that will let you choose maybe a quiet or bustling village, reducing or adding to your villager limit.
Yeah, genius right there lol

I'd hope so, hopefully they have sliders or something for ordinances though. Maybe make it so you can add/minus 5 points in total with a max of 3 in each thing.

eg. + up to 3 hours on store times in either morning or evening.
+/- 3 villagers on the average ammount
+/- 30% on item sales.
and somehow affect likelyhood of plants and +/- 3 daily weeds?

Then you could opt to have 2 extra villagers, stores that open an hour earlier and 2 less weeds. Give everyone a lot more customisation there.

So it's definitely bigger than Wild World as a whole? Well for a handheld, that'll be good.
I bet the Wii U version will be much bigger, too.
I'm not too happy with the size of the map. Is it really bigger than WW? Doesn't feel like it.

It's a little wider really, and the beach may detract from length of it to be honest. So it would feel about the same. But comparing to WW maps, each town had 7 /16 acres that villagers couldn't move into, and now space is a bit more efficient. And again, Main street is like an extra row of acres on the top, and we have islands (and even tours and Dreams to keep exploring) we're not trapped.

Last edited:
I personally prefer a smaller town. I like the cozy atmosphere and I find it easier to build relationships with villagers when there are less of them :)

I rather having a smaller town too so then it is easier to keep it clean and find weeds faster

I like the thought have having a small town in my pocket, its just really cute. The towns I see look big enough for me anyway.

Back