• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Two Questions About Your Character's Name

Onikai32

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
First: If you have the same name as another animal in the game, will they acknowledge the fact that your names are the same? For example, my name is Cyrus. I know that in the English version of New Leaf, the blue alpaca who works at Re-Tail is also named Cyrus. Will him or anyone else in my town ever address this? Has anyone played previous games where a villager with the same name as them has mentioned the similarity?

Second: What is the confirmed limit for the number of letters that can be in your name? I am asking about your player name; NOT your town name. Many people have said it is still 8 letters, like the previous games, but has anyone actually seen someone attempt to exceed 8 letters for their player name in an English version of New Leaf? Either that, or do they have an official answer from Nintendo or another reliable source on this subject?

Thank you for your help!

He was trying to imply that you're supposed to ask questions in that thread instead of starting a new one just for two questions.

Well, I'll answer your questions for you. :)

The animals and other NPCs will not comment on your name being the same as an NPC in the game. It is still an eight character maximum for names.

xD I thought that might be the case. The only reason I didn't answer that question was because I didn't wanna give false information. >>;

It makes sense they wouldn't comment on your name though. Your name could be something like "456?#@!!" and they wouldn't realize it's weird. Code wise they don't really *know* your name. Dialogue is just programmed to place whatever you chose as your name wherever the dialogue calls for 'name'. Just like how the neighbors won't realize they live in Buttvill, Hyrule, or Razzpop. They just live in 'town name'.

xD I thought that might be the case. The only reason I didn't answer that question was because I didn't wanna give false information. >>;

It makes sense they wouldn't comment on your name though. Your name could be something like "456?#@!!" and they wouldn't realize it's weird. Code wise they don't really *know* your name. Dialogue is just programmed to place whatever you chose as your name wherever the dialogue calls for 'name'. Just like how the neighbors won't realize they live in Buttvill, Hyrule, or Razzpop. They just live in 'town name'.

And they don't realize their catchphrases...

xD Mine don't have to worry about their catchphrases. I would never force my neighbors to say anything rude or inappropriate. D:

Back