What are your top 5 Pokemon games of all time?

DarthGohan1

TBT Old Timer
Retired Staff
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Yellow Heart Balloon
Purple Heart Balloon
Gastly Halloweaster Egg
Wallopoid
Wallopoid
Pavé
I know there are a huge number of Pokemon games (including spinoffs and main line games) to pick from, but if you had to narrow it down to just 5, which would you choose?

Also, I knew there were a ton, but when I looked up the whole list, couldn't believe how long it is... here it is so you don't miss any of your choices

Side series​

Pokémon Stadium
Pokémon Stadium 2
Pokémon Box Ruby & Sapphire
Pokémon Colosseum
Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
Pokémon Battle Revolution
My Pokémon Ranch
Pokéwalker
Pokémon Dream World
Pokémon Dream Radar

Pikachu series​

• Hey You, Pikachu! (N64 virtual pet; player owns and explores various locations with a Pikachu, talking to it with a microphone)
  • Pokémon Channel (GameCube virtual pet; player watches TV with their Pikachu, and uses the GameCube's clock to unlock new programs)
  • Pokémon Dash (DS racing game; players play as Pikachu attempting to outrun Pokémon)

TCG​

Super Smash Bros. series​

Main article: Super Smash Bros. series
  • Super Smash Bros. (N64 fighting game that pits various Nintendo characters against each other. Pikachu and Jigglypuff are playable, while various Pokémon appear out of Poké Balls to aid in combat)
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube sequel to Super Smash Bros., where Pichu and Mewtwo are added as playable characters. As with the previous game, a variety of Pokémon appear as helpers to the fighters, as well as Trophies)
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii sequel that sees the addition of Lucario and a Pokémon Trainer as added characters while Pichu and Mewtwo do not return. As in the previous two games, a variety of Pokémon appear as extra help and trophies)
  • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U (Sequel. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, and Charizard return as playable characters, and Greninja is a newcomer to the series, and Mewtwo returning as DLC. Charizard is a standalone character, rather than linked to Squirtle and Ivysaur with the Pokémon Trainer.)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch sequel that sees the return of every series veteran, including Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Mewtwo, Pokémon Trainer, Lucario, and Greninja. Incineroar is also introduced as a playable fighter.)

Snap series​

Picross​

• Picross NP Vol. 1 (SNES game, similar to the unreleased Pokémon Picross. It included 12 Pokémon-themed puzzles, such as Togepi)
  • Pokémon Picross (GBC game; player paints by numbers. It was announced in various game magazines in 1999, but was never released)
  • Pokémon Picross (3DS free downloadable game)

Pinball series​

Puzzle series​

Trozei series​

Mystery Dungeon series​

Main article: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series

Ranger series​

Main article: Pokémon Ranger series

Puck series​

Rumble series​

Main article: Pokémon Rumble series

PokéPark series​

• PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure (A Wii game; player takes the form of a Pikachu and competes in many minigames while befriending a variety of Pokémon)
  • PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond (A Wii game; player takes the form of a Pikachu and helps to restore peace to a land with the help of friends. A sequel to the aforementioned title.)

Detective Pikachu series​

Other​

1. Pokemon Conquest. I really loved the setting for this one and it's literally my favorite spinoff and favorite Pokemon game.

2. Pokemon Platinum. I started the series with Diamond, but Platinum took it a couple steps further and it made for one of the best mainline Pokemon games ever. There's so much to do and even more Pokemon included in it that it'd be difficult not to love it.

3. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. It's my favorite mystery dungeon game out of all of them. It has a lot to do, a compelling story, and plenty of Pokemon to choose from as your main Pokemon and friend Pokemon. The ending is really sad too. Such a great game.

4. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. While not a super Pokemon-focused game, I do appreciate that they included lots of different Pokemon to use in this one, including Incineroar.

5. Pokemon Battle Revolution. This one just barely makes the list because I had a ton of fun with it when I was younger. :3

My favorites are:

1. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow: I liked the characters, pokemon, rival, gym leaders, music, graphics - pretty much everything the best. Pokemon Red was my first game.
2. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - I loved a lot of the pokemon in this generation, the gameplay, legendaries. I was still pretty much as happy with the series and game at this time as I was with Red/Blue/Yellow
3. Pokemon TCG for the Gameboy. Real easy to understand how to play and also a lot fun 🙂
4. Pokemon Snap (original) - I loved the original much more than the newer one. I It was funmaking stickers at the video rental store. I only had the opportunity to do it once sadly.
5. Pokemon Sword/Shield — tentative. Cons: I don’t like the graphics but they are much better than Violet’s. Not a fan of the gym challenges either but they were a bit more interesting than Violet’s. AI in raids were dumb. Aside from that, I honestly have been impressed and am having so much fun with it. It gives me similar vibes as the older Pokemon games gave me. I like that the trainers challenge you if they see you like they had before (they don’t do that in Violet).

Special Mentions:

Pokemon Pinball for the Gameboy, Pokemon Colosseum for N64, Pokemon Puzzle League for the N64, Gale of Darkness

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald are my favorites, I absolutely love how goofy over-the-top the villainous teams are, and how insanely stupid they are.

Black/White/Black 2/White 2 are the second favorites, I only played the 2nd games very recently. I love when a game takes place in the same world as the immediate predecessor so you can see how the world changed in the time lapse.

I actually really do like the general main plot of Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. The story could have been better, but I like what they were going for with the aliens/invasive species taking over native land. I do not give a crap about Lillie or Hau's stories, those were insanely tedious to me.

The plots of Scarlet/Violet were generally good. Nemona is a good rival and the Victory Road plot is pretty good, for a general gym plot. Path of Legends is easily the best and I love Arven and his Mabosstiff. Starfall Street was the weakest plot. I hate when games do that thing where it's clearly one character but everyone in the world is a complete moron who cannot see that. I do appreciate they gave the dialogue option for the player character to see right through Clavell's disguise. I appreciated that. But Penny sucks. Worst character, don't care for her at all. And the final culmination in The Way Home was pretty good. Teal Mask was god-awful, I despise Ogerpon. Indigo Disk was okay. I hate Pecharunt.

Fifth place goes to Diamond/Pearl (never had Platinum) just for the memories.

1. Pokemon Conquest. I really loved the setting for this one and it's literally my favorite spinoff and favorite Pokemon game.

2. Pokemon Platinum. I started the series with Diamond, but Platinum took it a couple steps further and it made for one of the best mainline Pokemon games ever. There's so much to do and even more Pokemon included in it that it'd be difficult not to love it.

3. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. It's my favorite mystery dungeon game out of all of them. It has a lot to do, a compelling story, and plenty of Pokemon to choose from as your main Pokemon and friend Pokemon. The ending is really sad too. Such a great game.

4. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. While not a super Pokemon-focused game, I do appreciate that they included lots of different Pokemon to use in this one, including Incineroar.

5. Pokemon Battle Revolution. This one just barely makes the list because I had a ton of fun with it when I was younger. :3
I've never played Conquest but seems like it has a little bit of a cult following... what makes it so good?
Post automatically merged:

1. Pokemon Red & Blue - the originals, my 1st experience with Pokemon, and at the time, games unlike anything that had ever been released before. Yes, the newer games have a lot of upgrades, quality of life improvements, more Pokemon, etc etc. But nothing beats the feeling of playing Red & Blue through the first time. Getting your first Pokemon from Professor Oak, learning how to catch a Pokemon in Viridian City, the tough stretch of battles on the SS Anne or grinding through Victory Road, that 1st time facing the Elite 4. Just an amazing game.

2. Pokemon Gold & Silver - all of the above, plus... catch different Pokemon based on the time of day. 2 games in one, when you finish Johto, Kanto is waiting for your arrival. Some great new legendaries, and a difficult but fun mechanic to chase down the legendary dogs.

3. Pokemon TCG for Gameboy - really fun game based on the TCG, battle the 8 club leaders, rip some packs to add to your collection, build a few different decks, and face the TCG equivalent of the elite 4. Surprisingly really good replay value.

It gets difficult to choose just 2 more... so first a couple honorary mentions (which I'm also realizing as I type this, is a graveyard of no longer supported games):

HM 1 - Pokemon Tretta - simple but fun arcade game. Mash some buttons, catch some Pokemon, mash some more buttons, and then get a playable Pokemon token as a reward after each battle.
Gameplay:

HM 2- Pokemon Duel (RIP :cry:) - fun mobile F2P game, where you play a sort of Pokemon chess, where each Pokemon has different abilities and stats to help you make it to your opponent's goal before they get to yours.

HM 3 - Pokemon Trading Card Game Online - I ripped so many packs and played so many matches, this was the online game for the modern TCG, supported new sets for about a decade, 2010-2020 give or take. It had a good run.

HM 4- Pokemon Snap - who wuold've thought taking pictures of wild Pokemon could be so fun (and challenging to get a good shot of some of them!)

Back to the normal rankings now:

4. Pokemon Rumble - a simple Wiiware game, which created a new subseries of games for the franchise. When you don't want to think too much, these are fun quick games to work your way through the levels, and a little strategizing on which Pokemon and movesets will be best suited for some of the bosses.

5. Pokemon Stadium & Stadium 2 - great battles, gym leader castle, and excellent mini games that have withstood the test of time! Loved these games (still do), if you haven't played them before, go try them out on Switch online!

Last edited:
I've never played Conquest but seems like it has a little bit of a cult following... what makes it so good?

The amount of warriors you can recruit as well as the Pokemon they use, the fact that the main story is really fun and there's an expansive post-game, the ability to connect with other Pokemon and upgrade your lands. The list goes on really. There's just something really magical and charming about the game, but you wouldn't really understand it unless you play it for yourself! :blush:

As someone who was absolutely consumed by 90s Pokémania my list prolly isn't too surprising but here it is anyway LMAO XD

5) Pokémon Trading Card Game
1722879416318.png

I remember going to Toys 'R Us a few times for the IRL Pokemon League back when Mew & Meowth were given out as promo cards, it wasn't until this past year that I got really involved with playing the original Gen 1 TCG with my brother and other folks over Discord. However, this GB "port" is one of the few spin-off games that I constantly come back to 'cause it's so similar to the mainline series but the monsters are cardboard instead and I love the Base-Fossil archetypes o3o

4) Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal
1722880166260.png

Generally speaking, this covers all of the Gen 2 GB games, but the title I prefer to come back to occasionally would be Crystal Version! Of all the mainline Pokémon games I've played over the years, I would argue this one garners the most visceral nostalgia from when I first played Silver Version. The main reason it's not higher up for me is 'cause going back to it as an adult shows a number of flaws that I'm not really a fan of; namely, the level curve is rough and the pacing isn't very good either, but nonetheless it's still a great set of games! :)

3) Pokémon Snap
1722880862341.png

Absolutely my favorite spin-off game in the entire franchise! As a kid I always wanted to see how Pokémon would act in a more natural habitat, and considering photographic & video recording equipment was much harder to get a hold of back in the day putting these two things together was so incredibly imaginative. It's very easy to finish 100% in a single sitting however which is probably my biggest complaint, and I do wish it had a larger roster of monsters to take snapshots of :/

2) Pokémon Legends: Arceus
1722881195883.png

In a sea of disappointing & underwhelming Pokémon titles on the Nintendo Switch, I was absolutely blown away by the sheer novelty and intensity of Legends: Arceus! The sense of danger and isolation in a world that has only recently dawned upon teaming up with Pokemon as opposed to living in fear of them was such a refreshing take, the characters were interesting and had a surprising amount of depth, and the story itself was incredibly enjoyable and shockingly competent! Also, the actual mechanics are still the best in the series to this day and I will hear no argument to the contrary >:)

1) Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow
1722881535153.png

The one that started it all... This is one of a small group of games that I absolutely ignore/embrace all of it flaws for the cascading waterfall of nostalgia to overtake me as I boot up my Gameboy, 3DS, or whatever I'm using in the moment and just take it all in. Despite such a relatively "realistic" setting I have never felt such an attachment to the Kanto region than in any other video game; where I could almost literally insert myself into Red's shows and just live vicariously through the screen via Gen 1. Yellow is arguably the optimal choice of course, but honestly Red & Blue specifically are one of my few Gaming Happy Places <3

I like all of the mainline games but these are my favorites.

1. Pokémon Heartgold
2. Pokémon Moon
3. Pokémon Violet
4. Pokémon Sword
5. Pokémon Y

Last edited:
Here are my favorites:

1. HeartGold/SoulSilver - This is a remake of Gold/Silver done in Gen 4, my favorite generation. I loved exploring all the towns and cities, catching rare Pokémon and getting items, etc. My favorite addition was the Pokéathlon, where you strive to become the greatest athlete in a series of minigames that test your Pokémon.
2. Channel - This is sorta a life simulator, although it does so in a different way than Animal Crossing. You do activities with a pet Pikachu. Watching the in-game TV with a fun variety of programs takes of a good chunk of the playtime. Other things you can do include exploring areas and befriending Pokémon, collecting cards, and playing on the Pokémon mini. Very varied and fun. I never understood why most Pokémon fans consider this ‘one of the worst Pokémon games’.
3. - Ranger: Shadows of Almia - The second entry in the ranger series, and my favorite of them all. The gameplay is extremely similar to the first one, draw loops around Pokémon and use their abilities to clear obstacles. However, the surprisingly compelling story and characters bump this game up to being one of my favorites. The soundtrack’s great too!
4. Snap - A game where you ride on a track in a 3D environment and take pictures of Pokémon. The Pokémon are so lively, and there’s plenty of secrets to be found.
5. PokéPark 2 - Even though this game has less attractions than its predecessor, I think I like it slightly more for its setting and story. The battles are especially fun, and there’s even a whole tournament later in the game.

1. Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
2. Pokemon Crystal
3. Pokemon Colosseum/Gale of Darkness (both interchangeable and I don't exactly prefer over the other).
4. Pokemon Emerald.
5. Pokemon Snap (64 version). It's short and I like turning it on and finishing it in a single session.

1. Pokemon Sun and Moon. Creative setting with a great roster of new Pokemon and one of the better stories in the series. I can overlook the pacing issues since I enjoy the positives so much. They’re the games I return to the most and are one of my comfort games.

2. Pokemon Black 2 and White 2. They did an amazing job expanding the Unova region and it has one of the best postgames in the series. The new additions to the soundtrack are all amazing.

3. Pokemon Conquest. A Pokemon SRPG just makes too much sense and it’s a shame it didn’t become its own full series. The combat is simple, but fun and there’s a ton of content.

4. Pokemon Platinum. It’s such a massive upgrade from Diamond and Pearl in nearly every way. It had a (mostly) great region and the Battle Frontier is iconic. The story was improved on and the Distortion World is one of the best locations in the series to this day.

5. Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver. These were my first Pokemon games and I have a ton of nostalgia for them. They didn’t fix all of GSC’s issues, but they added so many cool features. They have easily the best postgame in the series, they has great touchscreen support, and they just feel like a lot of passion was put into them.

Honorable mentions: Pokemon Stadium 2, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorer’s of Sky, and Pokemon Emerald

Here is my top 5:

1. Black 2 and White 2 - best games in the franchise. I can't explain enough why I like them. Post game content. Good dex. Good everything. Ironically, last games with sprites. Sprites just hit different than the 3D models
2. Heart Gold and Soul Silver - best remakes hands down. Theres some nostalgia there but its just wonderfully well done. ORAS is good but they are also very different games compared to its original games and compared to remakes like HGSS. HGSS is exactly how you approach a remake. You even get the GS Sounds item that allows you to get original music from GS. Its at the end of the game but at least they added it.
3. Alpha Sapphire - I'm a Team Aqua grunt and I like water. Kyogre, let it rain, let it pour! Fr though I love this game. Last good remake. Recent ones will not mentioned. I wish GF went back to these. You can introduce new concepts and new ideas. It felt strange in the beginning but ORAS became my favourite gen 6 games after playing it. I hate the post game and wished that Battle Frontier was added but whatever still good compared to what we get now.
4. Ultra Sun - only played US. Good game. Ultra Necrozma is one of my favs so it had to be mentioned. Way better than Sun and Moon imo.
5. Legends Arceus - simply for being different. Pokedex grinding is what really brings it down

I'm a main series stan. I enjoy a good spinoff every now and then but main series is where its at.

Here are my top 5 favorite Pokémon games!

1. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
2. Pokémon White 2
3. Pokémon Platinum
4. Pokémon Fire Red
5. Pokémon Soul Silver.

Honorable mention to Pokémon Emerald, Red/Rescue Team DX, and Legends Arceus!

Ohh this is hard

Pokemon HeartGold / SoulSilver: The Johto Region is my absolute fav region, the story and the fact are cute lil' pokemon can walk behind us is what sells me. The music is so beautiful as well.
I remember when it first came out in the US, and was sad because it wasn't here yet. I can reset the game and never be bored of playing this game. I can talk and interact with my Pokemon. 🤌 The way a shiny Pokemon looks in these games is so cute omg.

Pokemon Platnium: Honestly, notsaglia from playing it when it first came out, and staying up in the night, sweating over trying to defeat the Champion. I love a lot of the Sinnoh Pokemon, and it definitely felt different to its counter parks of Diamon/Pearl.
Also Diamond & Pearl were the first games I think I've played, so definitely adds to it.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky: Probably the best dungeon game in that dungeon section. Briliant add to the story, and more better ways to help the player with things (saving at the well, and Spinda!) The more Pokemon you can turn into, and I find the dungeon aspect so interesting, the fact that they are completely random each time you go in, it's such a fun game to just play, doing lil tasks to locate lost Pokemon or items.
This was probably via Pokemon Time, but I vaguely remember getting to the twist with Dusknoir while I was waiting for a bus home, and just being shook.
Those mini story episodes were HARD. Bidoof's wish was HARRRD.

Pokemon Arceus: Would've been a lot higher if the other two weren't filled with nostaglia
This game is such a fresh of new air, and finally getting the chance for Pokemon to physcially attack you~ I never expected it, but it's amazing. I haven't gotten too into the game, still working on it but its just so free and peaceful.
Screenshot 2024-08-23 17.24.51.png

I laughed a good 5-10mins when I finally got to this part. Demon Slayer cosplay~

Pokemon Black/White/Black 2/White 2: I'd say it now, I was one of those people at the start when it came out, that I did not like this at all. But these games have grown on me. I really do like how in Black/White we got a WHOLE region of new Pokemon, which was new back then, and the moving Pokemon in battles was such a lovely touch. I love that.
The fact we had two rivals to deal with. One more stressful than the other.

Honorable mentions:

Firered/Lefgreen - step up from the originals and were most loved by me for many years. I loved the graphics then, and everything just felt so sweet and simple. The fact in the game, there was one trainer who has the same name as me; which I have never seen before and I felt special!

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald: I'm gonna say it, I still have this weird icky feeling when it comes to the Heonn Region. I dunno, it;s weird. But the Pokemon in the game are really cool though. The team of baddies are literally Brits who can't tell if they love the rain or the summer. Then moan when it's too hot or wet. I'd say, I've never used Carvnha or it's evolution but I've always wanted to.

Pokemon Ranger, Shadows of Almia: Bidoff...that is all.
Nah, I'll get into it. Let's ignore the whole tedious catching thing, and focus on the lore, the amazing characters! Just how beautiful everything looks? The music~? The plot! I loved the main story, and the lil things you could do as well. It helped by letting you do you. I could replay this game the whole time. (The sand tomb puzzle thing can be removed, I struggled a lot with that.)

Pokemon Moon: I spent HOURS playing this game, and just loved the SOS method with locating shines. It was a lot of fun. Another nostaglia momement really, despite the stuff being easy story wise, I just loved all the islands and new Pokemon. Didn't like Rotom. No thanks. Ohhh the fact you could take pictures of pokemon with Rotom though! So adorable.

Pokemon Red/Blue Team Base: Since this was the first mystery dungeon, I had to put it here, because I still LOVE this story and how everything played out. At one point you're on the run from other teams, that was crazy. Crazy stressful if you didn't save enough items to go through each dungeon and deal with the boss at the end.
I should really play the other dungeon games, its just hard because of the art graphic 3d designs are icky. I loved the small pixel rpg kinda look to them.

In no particular order, my top five Pokémon games are probably:

Pokémon Legends: Arceus- This game felt really refreshing compared to other recent games in the series. I enjoyed the setting/time period, and I had fun just running around catching Pokémon, looking for shinies, and collecting things. Really curious what Z-A will be like!
Pokémon Snap- I played this one a lot as a child, and I had so much fun with it. I still haven't played New Pokémon Snap, but I enjoyed taking picture of all of the Pokémon in the original.
Pokémon Gold/Crystal- These were originally my brother's games, but I ended up playing them as well eventually. They were my first mainline Pokémon games, and I would play them for hours. Chikorita was my favorite of the three starters, but I also liked the other two.
Pokémon Moon- I enjoyed the storyline of this one. The setting is also great, and I liked the addition of the alola forms. Rowlet is my starter of choice for this game. I've always liked owls, and Rowlet is very cute. I've been feeling the urge to replay this one lately.
Pokémon Stadium- I decided to give the last spot in my top five to Stadium. This is another one that I played a lot as a child. The minigames were my favorite part of the game, but I did like the main part of the game as well. The Lickitung minigame is the one that sticks in my memory the most.

Honorable mentions: Platinum, Shield, and Violet

1. Mystery Dungeon: Explorer of Sky - the 2D mystery dungeons are gorgeous and this one really nails the emotional storytelling. I chose this version because of the side missions, the last one is really needed for closure. I couldn't get into the 3D versions, the old ones are elite.

2. Black & White - this one got me back into the series and I really wish every generation had the confidence to stick with its own Pokémon for the main story at least. I'm so tired of seeing the same Pokémon early game every single time, it's my fault for picking my old favorites too but I really have a strong connection to Generation 5 because it really felt like its own thing. I remember those Pokémon being Gen 5.

3. Heartgold & Soulsilver - pretty cool to have the second game open up to the region of the first game, and pretty cool to remake it into a pretty 2D pixelart at the time. Gen 3 probably has my most favorite Pokémon per generation, but this is just OG Pokémon at its peak. Also Pokémon following you is very cute, epecially with their pixelart. I wish I could own this game physically without spending a fortune.

4. Legends Arceus - they tried something new for a main-ish title and it really worked. The world could have been a little more exciting, if you go BotW maybe go a bit further. Like maybe add secrets that can only be unlocked by certain Pokémon? Have an ice wall that unveils something cool if a Pokémon uses an offensive fire attack on it. But I definitely think Nintendo learned the right things from it because...

5. Violet & Scarlet (sorry not sorry) - the next game doing the exact same thing will replace it but for me this is the first time they really nailed both the story and the gameplay. Not too easy, not too handholdy, definitely a challenge with the crashes. Seeing wild Pokémon is fantasic, especially since they show up shiny too. I also like the gyms and the two different side missions. The new Pokémon were also fine.

Back