• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

What's your favorite and least favorite Disney animated features?

Alolan_Apples

Old > New
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
After the release of Moana (and an earlier release of Zootopia), I decided to ask for your opinions on what animated features do you like most and do you like least, again. This is only counting one of the 56 Walt Disney Animation Studios films. You may answer this 5-question questionaire about Disney's animated features, but it's only optional.

1. What is your favorite Disney animated feature, and why?
  2. What is your least favorite Disney animated feature, and why?
  3. Out of the six recent CGI animated features (Tangled, Wreck-it-Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana), what do you think is the best, and what do you think is the worst?
  4. Based on recent times, what do you think of Disney's work on the animated features so far?
  5. What popular animated feature don't you like, and what unpopular animated feature do you like?

I'll start here.

What is your favorite Disney animated feature, and why?

Even though Disney has improved a lot, I still think Lion King is the king. It still has my favorite music out of all of the Disney animated features, and there's not a single character in the film I absolutely hate or find annoying.

What is your least favorite Disney animated feature, and why?

I will have to go with the popular opinion of Home on the Range. Mainly because I didn't remember too much of it after seeing it. I only seen it once, and I haven't seen it in a long time.

Out of the six recent CGI animated features (Tangled, Wreck-it-Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana), what do you think is the best, and what do you think is the worst?

Despite the overhype after its release, I still have to say Frozen. It's not as good as what I used to think, but I have been more interested into the winter theme over time. As for the worst, I only seen two of these films, and even the worst of what I didn't see is only as bad as a large chocolate chip cookie with just three chocolate chips and not as bad as plain old bread. I still have to see them all.

Based on recent times, what do you think of Disney's work on the animated features so far?

I honestly think Disney has done a much better job this decade than it did last decade, as well as in the 1970's and 1980's when it wasn't doing too well with popularity. Last decade, the movies were shameful attempts, especially after making the movies from the Disney Renaissance. But this decade, they were doing a much better job, even better than Pixar at the time.

What popular animated feature don't you like, and what unpopular animated feature do you like?

Popular animated feature I don't like - I'm a hater, but not a hater of Disney's animated films. Unpopular animated feature I do like - I still think Oliver & Company is underappreciated. Why should I worry? Why should I care? I may not have a dime. But I got street savoir-faire.

It would have to be Alice in Wonderland for me, no particular reason though. It's one of those movies that just stuck with me. I loved the side characters. They are what made the movie so great, in my opinion.

I didn't really like Snow White... The story just didn't interest me at all.

Out of the six recent CGI animated features (Tangled, Wreck-it-Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana), what do you think is the best, and what do you think is the worst?

Although Moana was really good, I still prefer Tangled over it :/ I loved it's storyline a bit more. I haven't seen Wreck-it-Ralph or Big Hero 6, so I can't say which one is the worst out of all of them.

Based on recent times, what do you think of Disney's work on the animated features so far?

I think Disney's movies are getting better as time passes, but at the same time, they really need to know when to put an end to a series (ex: Toy Story). Hopefully, they'll never run out of ideas for new movies.

What popular animated feature don't you like, and what unpopular animated feature do you like?

I didn't like Frozen at all that much. It was okay, but I wouldn't bother watching it again. I liked the straight-to-video Aladdin movies, lol. Especially The Return of Jafar. The soundtrack was pretty good, and the movie itself was good too, despite the obvious watered-down animation.

Favorite one I would have to say is Toy Story 2 because I always loved Toy Story growing up and the second one was my favorite because of the addition of Jesse and the gang (Bullseye <333). I can't even pinpoint exactly why I love Toy Story so dang much but I always just found it so cute and entertaining. The characters were all so lovable and unique and the stories were different from all your typical princess-type stories, the music was good, and I love the animation and the legacy that Toy Story has left.
As for the 6 most recent movies, I have to say that Tangled was my absolute favorite. They took a good and classic story and made it modern, playful, and just downright adorable. And not to be biased, but Zachary Levi is pretty much my favorite actor so him in that movie just made it all the better. And the music in that movie!! So good, my god. The animation was killer as well; the whole movie felt colorful and vibrant just like Rapunzel's character. Out of those movies, I didn't really think any of them were bad even though I haven't seen Big Hero 6 or Moana.
I have to agree with Eudial that Frozen never quite lived up to the hype. I mean, it was good but certainly not the masterpiece that some people made it out to be. And for god's sake those songs got real old, real fast. Not sure if it counts, but I think all of the Studio Ghibli/Disney movies are unappreciated but absolutely incredible. For instance, Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro (and Spirited Away for the more intense spectrum) are my personal favorites. They were distributed by Disney so I think they count, but not sure haha.

For me, it's all about The Little Mermaid. She's hot, nice sea shells, and she can sing like a canary. If I ever need help falling asleep, I can put that movie on and soon thereafter it's dreamland. It's got a pretty fun plot, good music, evil Ursula makes a great villain. She likes to collect things, just like us Animal Crossing fans. Prince Eric is kind of a jerk, but maybe I just say that cause I'm jealous of him. But overall, what's not to love?

honestly i can't decide. there's too many disney movies that are good, i can't pick one single favorite. but my tops are snow white, frozen, zootopia and beauty and the beast

i don't have a least favorite really

in order from best to worst: frozen, zootopia, wreck-it ralph, tangled, big hero six, moana

honestly frozen and zootopia are tied for me. i absolutely love the plot of both. when i saw the trailer for frozen i was thrilled, and really excited when i heard about what the general premise of it was. it's the storyline i've been waiting for for so long. 10/10. zootopia is honestly a masterpiece if not one of the best disney movies ever made. a great story that attacks racism and promotes self-confidence and pushes people to their goals. amazing, 10/10 from me honestly! wreck-it ralph is such a unique movie and i love it soooooo much. i would give this a 10/10 as well, just because i personally enjoyed it so much. a little worried but very excited for the sequel. tangled was really awesome, i really liked it. big hero 6 wasn't that thrilling to me, i didn't really get the good vibes from it that other people did. the ending pissed me off really badly and i was just left wanting something different. and ugh... moana. i wanted to love this movie, i really did. but i honestly couldnt follow it. it was too fast-paced and confusing, and a lot of things were left unsaid. totally think maui should've been a villain, but.... whatever lol

they are honestly SPECTACULAR. i love their work

kinda hard to answer this question. i guess a popular one i don't like would be moana, and an unpopular one i like would probably be the fox and the hound because i never hear anything about it but that movie will make me cry anyday of the week

1. Hunchback of Notre-Dame. It is the darkest Disney cartoon with an amazing story, beautiful music, and the subject matter is extremely mature. I love it!

2. Pocahontas 2 was dreadful. It ruined everything. So did Mulan 2. The stories were not well thought out and did not maintain the integrity of the original. They both were cash grabs trying to bank on their predecessors' successes, and compromised the quality. The music was terrible in both as well.

3. I haven't seen Moana, but I couldn't say that any of those movies were bad. They were all marvelous! I would say that Zootopia is the most relevant story in this day and age, and therefore the most important one.

4. I think Disney has been doing a fantastic job providing us with animated features. So far, none have been terrible,and most have been beautifully animated and entertaining. I love Disney :)

5. I guess I wasn't amazed at Frozen the way that everyone seemed to be, although I did love Elsa's transformation and the Do You Want To Build a Snowman song. Other than that, it was average. And I think that Lion King 2 is really underrated. I thought it was even better than the first one, but that's a pretty unpopular opinion.

I can't decide! Top: Snow White, Moana, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Emperor's New Groove, Mulan, and Pocahontas.

I don't really have a least favorite.

This is so damn hard! I'm gonna say Moana. It was infused by an amazing classic (Pocahontas) and they turned it into something modern. It was empowering, and the music was beautiful and captured the scenes perfectly. It related to Pocahontas because 1. Grandma Tala came back as a stingray (I think?) And Grandmother Willow came back as a tree. 2. Moana and Pocahontas both are daughters of the cheif. 3. Moana and Pocahontas both want something that they are forbidden to have. I loved it. Plot line, characters, songs, animations, dialogue, everything! Again, I can't think of which one would be the worst.

They're amazing. The plotline for all of them are so interesting, the characters are all unique, the songs are A-1.

I'm sorry, I love all the movies! An underrated one I like is Beauty and the Beast. I assume it'll blow up again once the live action one with Emma Watson comes out, but it's not as cherished as The Little Mermaid or Cinderella.

Last edited:
Mulan all the way! Though The Little Mermaid is a close second.

That's a bit of a hard one. I haven't seen all the movies but the ones I have I enjoyed so I can't really pick one I didn't like.

Ooh that one is hard. I think it's a tie between Tangled and Wreck it Ralph. But Big Hero 6 gets a shout out because I love Baymax (the best thing in the movie tbh) As for which is the worst I can't really say, maybe Frozen only because it got so over hyped but I still enjoyed it.

I think they've done a great job and I look forward to seeing what else they have for us.

I don't think any of them were more popular than the others (unless I'm being completely oblivious) so I can't really say

My favorite animated Disney film is probably Alice in Wonderland. I don't think the story itself is that amazing, really. I don't believe it's Disney's best film or anything like that either. I just really like the movie in itself, very much. I very much like the idea of a world based off of some drug induced hallucinations and delusions, that has become, a children's movie. Of course, there was a book first, and several poems. That which the movie was based off of, but I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to say.

I guess my least favorite is probably The Road to El Dorado? I don't think I can remember every movie well enough, but I chose this one, because the movie just reminds me of Beevis and Butthead.

I think Frozen was probably the best, although I didn't even see Big Hero 6 or Moana. So my choices narrowed down to 1 out of 4, I choose Frozen. I like the overall message of that movie, the most. I think the worst of the 4 I saw is probably Wreck-it-Ralph. When I watch a movie, I always try to understand the overall message of a movie. There usually is a hidden message. And I couldn't really pin-point what they wanted to tell the audience. That "bad guys can be good guys"? If that's what they were trying to tell me, then I'm really disappointed.

I think they're doing great. I think they always have. Even if I don't like every Disney film, I think they're doing a great job overall. Even though Disney's main target audience is children, they have no problem attracting adults to remakes of older, classic films, that those adults will most likely watch out of nostalgia. I know, because I'm 19, and I saw the Jungle Book. One of my favorite Disney stories and films as a child. My mom, sister, and I all saw Toy Story 3 together. Disney is really good at making people of all ages love their work.

I can't really answer this, I have no idea how popular or unpopular any particular feature is. I just know what I like and what I dislike.

The Lion King. It doesn't look like any big deal now, but when it first came out, the animation for it was BEAUTIFUL. It also has a fantastic soundtrack and fun characters both good and bad. Come on, Scar actually partly accomplished his goals. If Simba had stayed away, then he would've stayed in charge.

Probably Snow White. I'm "old" for the forums, but the animation looked extremely dated to me even when I was a kid. I also think Snow White's voice is extremely screechy and annoying.

I haven't seen Zootopia or Moana yet. I keep thinking Zootopia is a Dreamworks film because it looks more like their animation style, not Disney's. Anyway, I'd have to give best to Wreck-it-Ralph. I'm a gamer and I LOVE all of the video game references in this movie. It's also not a princess movie, and Disney does too many princess movies. Out of worst for the ones I've seen, I'll have to give it to Tangled. Tangled is not a bad movie by any means. But it's still kinda forgettable and it's still a stereotypical Disney princess film.

I think Disney has way improved since Tangled. They were fantastic up through the '90s, but started going way downhill in the 2000s. If you look at a list of Disney's animated movies, mostly the only good ones from then are actually Pixar films. But, somehow, starting with Tangled, Disney got good again.

I've thought this pretty much all my life, but I think Beauty and the Beast is way overrated. The music is the best part, but the rest... The characters aren't that interesting and the story itself is quite boring. I also think Belle is probably the most boring Disney princess in the whole Disney princess line.

I really like Alice in Wonderland, but that movie rarely gets mentioned when people talk about their favorite Disney films. I'd put Alice in Wonderland in my top 5 for Disney movies, easy.

@Everyone that mentioned Studio Ghibli, Pixar, and direct-to-video films so far:

I don't wanna invalidate your opinions, but I'm only asking about your opinions on one of the 56 animated features. This does not include Pixar, Studio Ghibli, Disneytoon (including the direct-to-video sequels), or any live action film. You may look up Walt Disney Animation Studios on a search engine to see what movies they included.

@Petey Piranha: It may seem odd, but The Road to El Dorado is actually a Dreamworks film.

Last edited:
@Petey Piranha: It may seem odd, but The Road to El Dorado is actually a Dreamworks film.

Really? That is odd. Which company did Disney buy? They bought out another big company, Dreamworks or Pixar I think. I'm hoping that if I'm correct, that may give my response validation haha. But then again the movie was made before Disney bought anyone out iirc.

Really? That is odd. Which company did Disney buy? They bought out another big company, Dreamworks or Pixar I think. I'm hoping that if I'm correct, that may give my response validation haha. But then again the movie was made before Disney bought anyone out iirc.

They did buy Pixar, and those Ghibli movies are classified as Disney, but they made 56 other animated films (from Snow White to Moana, including some lesser known ones like Fun and Fancy Free and The Black Cauldron). I was focusing more on the latter.

Back when Dreamworks made films like Chicken Run, The Prince of Egypt, and The Road to El Dorado, they were an independent company. But I think they were bought by Comcast (which owns Universal), then Viacom (which owns Paramount), then Fox.

Lilo and Stitch, mainly because the style is great, the artwork is great, the backgrounds are beautiful, the animation is beautiful, and it was the movie that got me into wanting to do art as a career in the first place, so I hold the movie very close/

Frozen, some of the songs were good, the animation was sloppy (errors everywhere), also I think a big part of why I hate it is because of how damn over-hyped it is. It didn't and doesn't deserve the hype it gets.

Best I'd say Moana, and worst I'd say Frozen

They're definately improving and learning from their mistakes in recent times, I have a high appreciation for all aspects that go into a film, and they're just getting more and more well crafted.

Hate Frozen, aand love Brother Bear

- - - Post Merge - - -

Disney bought Pixar, but the 2D Dreamworks films are commonly mistaken for Disney cause of their quality.

Disney bought Pixar and is also works as a partner with some Studio Ghibli films

What is your favorite Disney animated feature, and why? Bolt. Cute animals, a show-within-a-film, goofy villain animals, cross-country trips, that giant explosion, there's a Jenny Lewis song, the pigeons, "put a pin in it", "be-awesome", etc. etc.

Ratatouille. Every time I try to watch it, it feels like it's never going to end and/or the plot isn't going to amount to anything. Also, the main guy doesn't have a French accent and there no explanation or excuse for that

Out of the six recent CGI animated features (Tangled, Wreck-it-Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana), what do you think is the best, and what do you think is the worst? I haven't seen Zootopia or Moana so throw those out the window. I guess I'm just gonna have to rate them in order of emotional impact, then: Big Hero 6, Wreck-it-Ralph, Frozen, Tangled. I love Tangled's songs but the movie itself is just alright

Based on recent times, what do you think of Disney's work on the animated features so far? I'm still salty they aren't doing traditional animation anymore. The Xerox era is my aesthetic

What popular animated feature don't you like, and what unpopular animated feature do you like? I have this thing against Snow White. She's too nice. As for unpopular/underrated.. oh boy. The Little Mermaid II because it's just so weird. But Enchanted and Oliver and Company. I went to Disney World last month. Absolutely nothing Enchanted-related whatsoever (disappointing but completely understandable). However there were blind-packaged trading pins, and two in the set were Oliver and Dodger. I usually hate blind-packaged stuff because I'll rarely get what I want but pin trading makes it work out. The first two pins I got were Figaro and Pluto. Yawn. Traded 'em. On my last day, I bought two more for the heck of it. Got Dodger. Flipped out. Got Oliver. Flipped out more. Now both are proudly locked onto my utility coat

Disney bought Pixar, but the 2D Dreamworks films are commonly mistaken for Disney cause of their quality.

Disney bought Pixar and is also works as a partner with some Studio Ghibli films

Huh. The more you knowww....Thanks for this though, lol.

1.What is your favorite Disney animated feature, and why?​

mulan_galleri.jpg

An extremely hard choice for me. I'm a huge Disney fan and love almost all the features. I'd have to narrow it down to Mulan (with Aladdin as a close second). This feature has some of the best music and vocal performances but what really made me love this film was the comedy. The laughs pile up and don't fade even after years of rewatching.

2.What is your least favorite Disney animated feature, and why?

bambi2.jpg

Bambi, ugh. I just can't get on board with it. And while I don't hate it, it certainly is a film that I won't be rewatching anytime soon. Probably won't watch it again until I have kids and I put it on for them. I found it slow, and dull. Although very beautifully animated.

3.Out of the six recent CGI animated features (Tangled, Wreck-it-Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana), what do you think is the best, and what do you think is the worst?

disneys-moana-animated-movie-400x200.jpg

I love Tangled and it was SO close to winning but I've literally seen Moana about 40 times and don't see that slowing down. I loved Moana. The story was a good change of pace from Disney. The music was invigorating, and the animation was stunning! As for the worst, out of those 6? There is none. I can't choose because really none of them can even be near that category.

4.Based on recent times, what do you think of Disney's work on the animated features so far?

s3-news-tmp-10557-disney--2x1--400.jpg

I think they're doing a wonderful job advancing with the times and technology. They're taking it slow and not forcing too much. Having newer feminist roles, while praised, has already resulted in backlash. What I miss most is traditional hand drawn animation. While I do understand times change, there's something about a literal moving picture that just has magic.

5.What popular animated feature don't you like, and what unpopular animated feature do you like?

lk-400x200.jpg

I might be one of the few in the world but I don't love The Lion King. I haven't sat through the whole movie in years. It is often considered one of the greats and while I do think it's great, It's way down on the list for me.

Munir's+WDAS+Retrospective+-+Hunchback.jpg

Lastly, an unpopular film that I love is The Hunchback of Notre Dame. While the film is to dark to be considered a kids film, it's a masterpiece in art, visuals, music, and animation. It gets hate from being too different than the source book but this is a Disney movie. Even with how much they toned it down, the movie landed on many children's movies not meant for children's lists. Oh well, it's a winner in my book.

Probably Pocahontas. I was really excited when it came out and I saw it in theaters. I loved the music and the character Pocahontas. It is a unique story with the female saving the man and without the typical happy ending. I disregard the criticism of its inaccuracy, because obviously they aren't going to make an accurate kids movie of it, and it still got me interested in learning more about the real person.

I really didn't like Brother Bear but there are several I dislike greatly. I thought the ending was absurd and the characters were not likable.

I have only seen Frozen, Tangled and Zootopia. Frozen and Tangled are close but I think Frozen has the edge for its music and setting. Out of what I have seen Zootopia is the worst. I really want to see Moana still.

I still don't think it's as good as the '90s. They are pretty hit or miss to me.

I don't really like Finding Nemo or Lilo and Stitch. I don't exactly know which qualify as unpopular but I do like Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas, and Fantasia a lot.

Back