• The first day of our new Mushroom Season event has passed, but things are just getting started. Read the update about changes made to the schedule, starting with day two. Be careful foraging and good luck!
  • Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Which of these instruments would you play?

Which of these instruments would you play?

• Total voters
I really have loved music my whole life! My parents wanted me to learn an instrument but we never really had the time due to the million other activities I was enrolled in 😅. If I could choose though, I would love to be proficient at piano or keyboard, flutes have also interested me. Maybe when I get older I'll learn piano!

They’re not my favorite instrument, but I picked drums because they seem the easiest. Trying to read music is a drag and I died of boredom when my middle school teacher tried to explain what a chord was. I did choose drums (technically general percussion, but mostly snare drums) before when I had to be in band in 4th grade, partially for that reason. The other reason was that I didn’t like the look of most other instruments. I hated it though. We were the only people in band that had to stand, plus practice always took place during recess. I always zoned out. I love a good music piece, and sometimes I wish I had the motivation to learn, but I’m just not musically inclined or invested enough to pick up an instrument. Sometimes I do try to play something by ear on the piano or glockenspiel. The glockenspiel was great because all the notes were labeled so you could just write the letters down.

They’re not my favorite instrument, but I picked drums because they seem the easiest. Trying to read music is a drag and I died of boredom when my middle school teacher tried to explain what a chord was. I did choose drums (technically general percussion, but mostly snare drums) before when I had to be in band in 4th grade, partially for that reason. The other reason was that I didn’t like the look of most other instruments. I hated it though. We were the only people in band that had to stand, plus practice always took place during recess. I always zoned out. I love a good music piece, and sometimes I wish I had the motivation to learn, but I’m just not musically inclined or invested enough to pick up an instrument. Sometimes I do try to play something by ear on the piano or glockenspiel. The glockenspiel was great because all the notes were labeled so you could just write the letters down.
Marching band drummers however, have to carry around their heavy bulky instruments. I remember reading about a boy who joined the military before the outbreak of the Civil War and he wanted to be a drummer, but they advised against it and told him to pick a smaller instrument because of his size. Not saying that against you or anything, your post just resurfaced those memories about reading his biography in the army. It was an interesting read on what he had to go through. Sometimes their meals consisted of apples covered in molasses. I don't know if I could survive on that haha. He became a fifer from what I remember.

Marching band drummers however, have to carry around their heavy bulky instruments. I remember reading about a boy who joined the military before the outbreak of the Civil War and he wanted to be a drummer, but they advised against it and told him to pick a smaller instrument because of his size. Not saying that against you or anything, your post just resurfaced those memories about reading his biography in the army. It was an interesting read on what he had to go through. Sometimes their meals consisted of apples covered in molasses. I don't know if I could survive on that haha. He became a fifer from what I remember.
Yup, I was very priveleged, thankfully. In high school, an acquaintance suggested I join the marching band and I was like, with all due respect, heck no, I’m not standing in the sun with a heavy instrument for 10 hours (yes, their practices really were like that!) I can’t imagine doing that on top of being in a war and being undernourished. Glad that guy didn’t end up carrying the drum at least, but man. What a rough life!

I'd like to learn guitar!
I can play the ukulele, but I struggle with reading music, so when I TRIED to learn guitar I eventually gave up lol

It's not on here, but I would really like to try harmonicas again. They have a reputation for being unrefined instruments that are given to kids or older grandfathers on rocking chairs, but I always wanted to try to perfect some complex pieces on them. To do this I would actually need to take the time to practice, but I don't see myself doing that any time soon with all the other projects and things that are piling up on me lol. But it's a project for a later date!

Yup, I was very priveleged, thankfully. In high school, an acquaintance suggested I join the marching band and I was like, with all due respect, heck no, I’m not standing in the sun with a heavy instrument for 10 hours (yes, their practices really were like that!) I can’t imagine doing that on top of being in a war and being undernourished. Glad that guy didn’t end up carrying the drum at least, but man. What a rough life!
It's a really interesting read about a kid who joined as a musician and chronicles his training from 1850s to the end of the war. It's not for everyone though, but I liked reading up about it because history books usually ignore the common person who enlisted. I learned so much about all kinds if history just by taking the time to research and read up on it myself. Most of my school books were very watered down or didn't even teach anything. This is a bit off topic so I will end it here haha.

Good luck to you if you ever decide to pick up your instrument(s) again!

Since I can already play the trumpet, I'll go with flute. Flute is the one woodwind instrument that eludes me because I just can't get the embouchure right to even get a sound out of it. Lol. I'm sure that with lessons I could get it, but on my own not so much.

Since I can already play the trumpet, I'll go with flute. Flute is the one woodwind instrument that eludes me because I just can't get the embouchure right to even get a sound out of it. Lol. I'm sure that with lessons I could get it, but on my own not so much.
Lol I ended up playing the trumpet because the drum section was full and I couldn't get a sound out of the flute. The clarinet was an absolute nightmare to the point the teacher almost snatched it out of my hands. He said "STOP-TRY THE TRUMPET." I actually played a good sounding note and he said "Ok that's where you're staying." I said "But I want to try..." He was like "NO. That's what you're playing."

I totally get it. I'd tried every other instrument and flopped. Plus that clarinet... it really was that bad. He looked horrified.

I'd probably pick the guitar because I've always liked guitars and the way they sound

I picked guitar because I took electric guitar lessons for 1 year and then quit.. but I had a really cool guitar! I think I would have more patience in practicing now but I feel like I ought to spend my time on visual art stuff instead.

guitar for me! i technically do know how to play it, but it's been a hot minute and i mainly stick to the ukulele because of my small hands.

i would like to learn the guitar one day, especially the electric guitar. i am learning how to play ukulele which is kind of like the guitar, however the difference is that it only has 4 strings and it’s a shorter scale.

Back