Bells
Switch
4321-2546-0916
Pumpkin Pie
Tasty Cake
Kirby Easter Egg
Cake
Cake
Before school every year we get emails from our teachers for first semester that basically says inspirational junk and tells us to create some goals for the school year and the one my oil painting teacher sent basically asks "Who inspires you?" and I didn't know if that meant in real life or artists that do but I made a personal list anyways. when i emailed her back i just said well-known artists like Van Gogh which is true but i felt like that was just the answer they wanted bc theyre oil painters lol

it kind of INSPIRED me to make this thread. im really curious to see who inspires people on TBT. it could be anything like people, shows, artists, places etc.

On a personal level, Jane Goodall inspires me to try to be a better person and to not just say something but to take action to help animals in whatever ways I can.

Creatively, Edgar Allen Poe inspires me as an author. His work always speaks to me and I feel it gives a glimpse inside a tormented soul.

I am also heavily inspired by music. Everything from Bach to Megadeath can cause an emotional response in me which translates to either ideas or action.

Bjork, definitely. She's so creative and beautifully bizarre. Every time I listen to one of her songs, watch one of her music videos, or just watch someone interview her, I get the urge to write or draw.

Another person, who also happens to be a music artist, is Kate Bush. I love how expressive and whimsical she is. My mother used to play her songs when I was little, and they always took my mind on strange journeys.

And lastly (but not least!) is my mom. She's always been a freaky witch woman with strange ideas, and whenever she's around I can't help but get inspired in some way. :)

Bjork, definitely. She's so creative and beautifully bizarre. Every time I listen to one of her songs, watch one of her music videos, or just watch someone interview her, I get the urge to write or draw.

I love Bjork! My mom introduced me to her music and she is so mesmerizing and a beautiful individual. I recently watched Dancer in the Dark which she starred in and she was amazing!!

Nobody. Everyone fills me with envy.

Last edited:
My Mom is definitely on that list, she is the strongest person I know and I really admire her for that and hope to be able to emulate some of that strength.

I honestly think this might be a weird choice, but a lot of reality TV stars inspire me- but not the over-dramatic kind of reality TV, the home improvement and lifestyle change sort of ones, like Queer Eye or Tidying Up With Marie Kondo. Whenever I watch those shows, I always get inspired to take better care of myself and my home.

Musicians inspire me A LOT. I find very few forms of media hit harder than music. If I had to pick a particularly inspirational musician to me, I'd probably say Lizzo. I've been a huge fan of hers for probably around a year now, and all of her songs just bring me such joy while also having a ton of solid life advice wrapped up in each of them. In general though, I listen to a lot of music that inspires me to feel more confident in myself. Music also inspires me artistically a lot, I do some illustrating and music really gets the creative juices going.

And of course, illustrators inspire me. Naming a list of every single illustrator I draw inspiration from would be a huge task, but when I think of "illustrators I absolutely adore", Riyoko Ikeda is definitely one of the first that pops into my head. I really love retro shoujo art in general, but I haven't seen any shoujo art style better than hers. I also really like Yurie Sekiya's art, she appears to also be really inspired by retro shoujo art but adds a lot of individual flair to it. I also like the art of Takeshi Obata, the illustrator of a lot of manga I've cherished like Death Note and Bakuman.

There are probably a dozen other people I could name if my memory was a little better, but there's a bit of a list of people who inspire me and why they do.

Two women who have unfortunately both passed away now. I met them online in late 2006. The first passed away in the second half of 2014 (I had personally met her in 2012) and the other in January 2015.

They both encouraged and supported me without ever letting on how unwell they were. Because of their faith in me I refuse to give up with the hobby I met them through even though it's difficult and frustrates me at times.

Last edited:

Another person, who also happens to be a music artist, is Kate Bush. I love how expressive and whimsical she is. My mother used to play her songs when I was little, and they always took my mind on strange journeys.

And lastly (but not least!) is my mom. She's always been a freaky witch woman with strange ideas, and whenever she's around I can't help but get inspired in some way. :)

i was about to mention her (bjork) , i love her. <3
here's other singers that i love and inspire me:
-lorde
-lana del rey
-charli xcx
-lady gaga
-grimes
-marina and the diamonds / MARINA
-rosalia

Roger Federer - Not only has he been so successful and grown up to be humble, he's still being one of the top athletes in his sport at the age of 38.

Sam Mitchell - An AFL player who was overlooked by everyone for being too slow. He then worked hard and became a premiership winning captain, Brownlow medalist, All Australian, Best and Fairest and most likely a future coach. All for my favourite club

Robert Downey Jr - Him being one of the top actors in the world after his troubled past inspires me to know that no matter how hard things get, it's always possible to be successful

A professor of mine. Not sure how to explain, but I really look up to him. The way he deals with problems and treats others is also really admirable.

A DJ that goes by the stage name Tokimonsta. Not only does she achieve in gaining notoriety not by the norm which growing up needing to "proper" in my household led me to disdain such, but in 2015 she was diagnosed with Moyamoya disease needing to undergo two brain surgeries in which she briefly lost language and comprehension skills. Despite that she's well back into the music scene, even winning a reward. So considering all that she seems to be someone with quite a will, and I admire her for her endeavor.

Last edited:
Definitely my Grandfather, who is now long and gone. It may seem really blunt and mean, but he inspires me not to go down the same path he did, and die at an abnormal age for having COPD from smoking and making lots of bad decisions his whole life. He never kept up on his daily exercises as he got older, because he thought 'wow, I'm retired, I can just sit in my recliner, drink beer, and watch sitcoms'. So, he thought he had it easy. But... yeah. Didn't end well for him.

He inspires me to not only go down his path, but to become more... carefree. He didn't care if I liked girls, despite being one, unlike his ex-wife who told me I needed to go to a religious school... =w= Anyways, he was a very kind, old man, and I look up to him to this day. Even though he's gone.. I still love him and I miss him a lot. He inspires me in so many ways.​

My sister has always been my biggest inspiration when it comes to life in general. Tina S used to be an inspiration for me when I started playing guitar. Now a whole bunch of people inspire me, for example samuraiguitarist, Paul Davids, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, …

Back