• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Why can't we trade bugs and fish?

Skandranon

Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Wondering why they didn't make this possible.

At first thought it was to make the 'get them all' achievements hard to get, but then I got a second character and found out only catching, not picking up, triggers the pedias.

So can't see a good reason to not to allow this.

Because how could you ever trade away such beloved pets? *goes and sells Raymond for millions of bells*

I believe this is done for the sake of museum completion. Only residents of the town can donate to the museum. - However still raises the question on fossils and art which is tradeable.

Because how could you ever trade away such beloved pets? *goes and sells Raymond for millions of bells*

I believe this is done for the sake of museum completion. Only residents of the town can donate to the museum. - However still raises the question on fossils and art which is tradeable.
yeah, the majority of my art was traded from others to complete my museum

Hard to say, honestly. Perhaps it has something to do with not wanting to potentially invite an invasive species to your island...

I feel the same way! Wish they would allow us to trade bugs/fishes, especially fishes because I enjoy looking at them in the museum.

I'm not completely sure why, but it's always been this way. I just feel like it would be a little weird for me to go to someones island and just drop a bug or fish on it.
Sure, maybe they could make it that they could "place it" but then they have to give someone the option to place or pick up a bug or fish on someone's island.
What if someone does this to a fish that someones displaying, like a shark just to sell it?

I wish they allow us to do that. I saved all the sharks for my son’s winter island and then found out you couldn’t do that! So disappointing.

I don't think it's so much 'you can't trade' as it is, you can't donate and you can't drop bugs and fish. I don't know how you'd drop bugs and fish, maybe make them appear as their icons as you hand them to blathers?

It’s probably for the sake of realism.
imagine getting a fish in the mail.
I know it’s a game with animals as people, but ig it’s grounded in realism

I wish we could! I'm not sure how much I'd use it, but it would be a nice feature to help others out with! Maybe the answer is you can trade fish/bugs caught only while on a specific island. So you could trade what friends catch on your island/ vice versa? Kind of like the communal bug cage/ cooler during the bug off and fishing tourney events!

Even if it were possible to trade them, I don't think I would because there's more joy to catching your own and donating.

Technically, there is no system for "trading" items in ACNH. You can drop items on the ground for other people to pick up. Fish, bugs, and sea creatures can't be dropped because they are living animals. There are a lot of reasons what the game doesn't allow people to place or pick up placed items during multiplayer. So there is no way to transfer fish and bugs. It's less about the developers trying to be jerks and more about the technical limitations of the game. After all, you can drop fossils and art on the ground for others to pick up. They could allow people to drop fish and bugs as icons, but again that would be really weird to drop a living animal on the ground as an icon.

I've only ever seen this done is ac gamecube version. You could only do it on the island which required a gameboy connected to your gamecube. My friend brought a banded dragonfly and put it in the little house(hut) you had on the island. That was the only bug i was missing and couldn't catch one to save my life. It counted for museum completion but not for bug catalog completion so you still couldn't get the reward for that. I did eventually catch one.

are the tool diys critterpedia completion or museum?

personally i hate fishing so if i could complete my museum through trading I totally would haha.
also for some reason i thought they were droppable but it turns out hey aren't ^^;;

i think it limits the spread of golden tools DIYs with bugs and fish.
are the tool diys critterpedia completion or museum?

personally i hate fishing so if i could complete my museum through trading I totally would haha.
also for some reason i thought they were droppable but it turns out hey aren't ^^;;
In order to fill your critterpedia and get the golden rod and net recipes, you have to catch them yourself. Picking them up doesn't count. It doesn't matter if you donate them or not.

I think they made it this way so completing your encyclopedia feels genuine (personal accomplishment) and you can't "cheat" your way through. Plus when you actually do manage to catch a rare bug/fish its such a great feeling!

I like the way it is now (unable to trade creatures), but I can see how it is frustrating for others who are more casual players and perhaps don't have time to catch all the bugs and fish.

I kinda like it like this.. I know myself and would feel tempted to trade. It's nice to have a challenge to complete alone

Back