• Most events follow Eastern Daylight Time. The current Space Time is:
  • Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Favorite contest from the 2022 TBT Fair?

Which contest has been your favorite?

• Behind the Bookcase

Votes: 35 38.9%
  • Hero's Crossing

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Gorgeous Glades

Votes: 34 37.8%

• Total voters
I love Hero's Crossing because I love writing and reading, but I voted for Behind the Bookcase. I thought it was such a unique idea, and seeing everyone's creativity, different styles, and interpretations of the prompt, brought me immense joy :D I wish I could take everyone's pages and bind it into a real book! If it were in my power I would give everyone who participated a collectible because y'all deserve it

Gorgeous Glades as it was the only one I participated in, however I loved looking at all the talented entries for Behind the Bookcase. 😍

Hero’s crossing was my favorite! I was actually dreading this one from the very start. I saw the word count and was a bit upset I had to write so much. It felt like a homework assignment. When we first started the fair, I wanted to do all the events, but half way through I knew I just wouldn’t have time to do it all. I decided I was going to skip a few. Hero’s Crossing being one of them (I also skipped The Gaming Grove, and most of the Mysteries of the Monolith). Leif’s Labyrinth was also going to be skipped. I tried it once, and I just couldn’t figure it out. I tried again the next morning and I got it quickly. Hero’s crossing I left it for the day before the last day the event would be closed. I started writing right before I went to sleep, and it was really fun. I said I would wing it, but I didn’t. Halfway through my story, I was doing online research to look at different mushrooms and their names (had to do with the story). I felt like I needed the names to be symbolic to the story 🤔.
I’m no writer, but I had fun.
I just started writing and a story developed. It was probably my favorite event throughout the whole fair. So thank you.

Behind the Bookcase was my favorite concept—I loved seeing the clever, funny, and beautiful tales on the concept from the community.

Hero’s Crossing was the one I put the most effort into, so that was my favorite to participate in and my favorite of my own entries. But my vote went to Behind the Bookcase for its uniqueness and creativity.

This is tough because I liked all three, but I might have to go with Hero's Crossing! I haven't shared my writing publicly in years, and honestly, most of my writing hasn't made it past the planning and outlining stage. So I feel like this contest gave me a really good push, and I'm both happy that I was able to finish something, and that I was able to share it here with everyone as well. c:

I have to say gorgeous glades as it’s really fun to put together a theme on acnh.

Another year I would have attempted behind the bookshelf. How there is so much artistic talent on this forum I am totally in awe 😍🥰❤️ Really enjoyed looking at all entries and just didn’t have the confidence to enter 😔

Heroes crossing had so many wonderful entries 💜 I loved reading and wish I could have attempted. I haven’t written since high school and now I am far too old and rusty 😂💜

I like Behind the Bookcase. Hero’s Crossing was too difficult for me. I’m not a writer in the slightest. Gorgeous Glades requires New Horizons, which I no longer play. It was an easy decision for me here. I had fun with it, as well!

My favorite contest by far was Hero's Crossing. I did enjoy writing short stories growing up (and still do!), but I don't really get the chance to write them these days. For as daunting as writing a short story is and for as worried as I was getting that I wouldn't be able to get it done in time, ultimately I did finish it before the deadline. I came up with the idea for my story pretty early into the Fair, it just took awhile to end up writing it. Even though I know I could've refined it a bit and executed it a bit better, I'm still proud of the end result. I know it was one of the longer stories at 4.6k+ words, which can be off-putting to anybody who might want to read it, but I wouldn't have been able to write a shorter story without sacrificing the quality and flow of the story. With that said, the most important thing to me wasn't about other people enjoying it nor about trying to be a nominee for the public poll (although those would be nice bonuses!), it was about making sure I was happy with what I wrote. And I accomplished that.

Behind the Bookcase was definitely my favourite. Hero's Crossing was a real struggle for me cause my writing skills are mid.

I found all three contests stressful and rewarding for different reasons, but it was overall satisfying to finish all of them.

Gorgeous Glades went the quickest, since I had an idea to use my Amiibo cards of the Kappa family right away, but after I executed it and walked through the thread, I realized I was part of the majority in choosing that greenish color theme and the moss / vine items. I worry that my entry will be glossed over for looking the same, but ah well. It was heartwarming to put them all together.

I also regret rushing out my concept of the spell pages for Behind the Bookcase, but I consider this one my favorite because it's such a novel concept and the entries are all so beautiful. I can't wait to vote for Firesquids and Yanrima, lol. I know my handwriting is horrendous and physical art is so much harder for me to execute properly (it never comes out as planned), but heck, I am proud of my pop-up book and relating it to Animal Crossing at the same time. It is permanently enshrined in my sketchbook and I can look back on it any time.

I was the most surprised by my reaction to the Hero's Crossing event. I know very few people will read my humongous entry, but it felt validating to have written (and finished) something again. In my bucket list from over a decade ago I had listed "become a published writer" and back then, I spent much of my time thinking about quitting my job and writing fantasy novels. I listened to podcasts about the writing craft, went to weekly write-ins at cafes in my city, and enrolled in online writing courses and forums... but I let the dream and the skill wither away over the years. I haven't read a full novel in a long time.

As with any creative profession:
to be a good chef, you have to eat well
to be a good artist, you have to see great art
and to write well, you have to read
and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
-- without consuming anything for so long, and neglecting to practice, I know my skills have deteriorated.

I don't think I will return to pursuing a writing career any time soon; the time invested there hasn't had a return as satisfying as my latest art ventures. It's harder to pinpoint flaws in writing, and critiques and viewership for art is so much quicker. People can see errors in anatomy / line confidence / shading, etc. but in writing, sometimes how clumsy or poorly written something is can be harder to describe or fix. Also, my time is much more limited now.

Sorry for the wall of text. I'm just gathering some fairy dust, lol.

I definitely liked Behind the Bookcase the most out of all three contests. Gourgeous Glades was difficult for me to do bc I restarted my game a while ago and I don't have much to work with at all. and as for Hero's Crossing, it would've been easier for me to do had I not been dealing with depression (and, as a result, mild artist's block). both those challenges were difficult for me. but Behind the Bookcase surprisingly wasn't that hard to put together. and it was fun to come up with grimoire concepts, even if the first one didn't fit the theme (rip).

not to mention that if I hadn't participated in Behind the Bookcase (or if I did participate and actually read the rules properly like a good forum-goer) I would never have made this absolute masterpiece:
20220824-191551.jpg

Hero's Crossing
I feel like I can express myself more with writing than with drawing. I love stories with the Hero's Journey, and I feel that classic story arc is usually lacking in "modern" literature and entertainment. I can connect with the Hero's Journey on an individual, personal level because we all go through struggles and its a wonderful journey how we can overcome them. I feel even now that I could've improved my story (as I often do when I write) and maybe other users on here could've enjoyed it more. I hope events like these return again (for the artistically impaired lol)

Easily Hero's Crossing. I love writing so any event where I get to do that is always my favorite. I had a lot of fun coming up with my story and I love that I get to read everyone's stories too. I know why the writing events are fewer and far between, it takes much more time to read thousands of words versus looking at hundreds of images, but that makes the writing events we do have so very special.

I liked them all, but my vote is for Hero's Crossing. I'd like that I got to write something that was kind of interesting to me in a way that even I didn't know where the story was going xD

Behind the Bookcase. Such a fun idea! I wish I had paid more attention to the end dates because I procrastinated and missed participating in all 3. 😅

I liked behind the bookcase! Glades was pretty good. I like the acnh events but I didn't really have the best idea this time. I didn't really enjoy heroes crossing tho >_>

Hero's Crossing! Even though I cringe at my own writing, I really enjoy the process and never get the chance write anything unless it's for a tbt event. @skarmoury your story was ; ~;

Back