Figuring out Patterns to Gifts from Villagers

Do your villagers give you a new item for your catalogue if you give them a wrapped expensive gift?

• Yes, and I have a 5-star island.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Yes, and I don't have a 5-star island.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, and I have a 5-star island.

• No, and I don't have a 5-star island.

• My catalogue is complete.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mountain_Elements

Bells
It used to be that if I gave my long-time villagers a wrapped fossil from one of the fossil sets, they'd give me a new item for my catalogue in return. This was incredibly useful for getting the clothes and furniture that never show up in my shops, including the seasonal shopping items that I was out of season for. Unfortunately, it couldn't last.

At first, I thought that maybe I was giving repeats of fossils to my villagers, and that's why they weren't happy enough to give me a new item. However, giving new non-fossil expensive gifts (items that sell for 750 bells or more) wasn't working either, and I couldn't find anything online about villagers being upset with repeat gifts. Eventually, it occurred to me that maybe the problem was that my island rating had dropped. I got my island back to 5 stars last Sunday but no luck so far.

My current theory is that I need to keep my island at 5 stars for some unknown length of time to get new items again, but I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this phenomenon. Or are there any other patterns in the gifts from villagers that people have noticed?

Hi, haven’t experienced this myself but my mum keeps telling me about how she’s getting new clothing items when giving gifts to her villagers (I don’t know what she’s giving them). But I can confirm she doesn’t have a 5 star island. Not sure what this is to be honest, I only found out about it a couple of weeks ago

Hi, haven’t experienced this myself but my mum keeps telling me about how she’s getting new clothing items when giving gifts to her villagers (I don’t know what she’s giving them). But I can confirm she doesn’t have a 5 star island. Not sure what this is to be honest, I only found out about it a couple of weeks ago
Huh, maybe it's based on how complete your catalogue is, then? Like if your catalogue is under ??% complete, you'll get new items, but if you go over that, the game wants you to work to finish your catalogue?

It was really useful while it lasted. I got summer clothing in the winter and a missing winter furniture item during the spring. But then it stopped, and I was hoping to get the rest of the winter items I was missing. I'll probably have to buy them from this forum eventually, but I'll wait until closer to my planned break in July.

I haven't done this trick before so I decided to try it out as a test. Note that a few days before the test I dropped a bunch of items I needed to deliver to someone on the ground, which would have lowered my island rating to 4 stars. After I delivered them today, it went back up to 5 stars.

So I wrapped up a random fossil, gave it to Zucker, and I got from him some coveralls with arm covers. I noticed that this was a different color variant (orange) instead since I had the same outfit in the blue variant. Then I went up to Reneigh with a similar gift and I got my first relay tank. Then I did the same for Toby and Broffina and I got a pilot's uniform and a pink shanty wall from them, respectively. All of these items were new catalog additions.

I could be wrong, but the only logical guess I can presume is that the villagers have this pool of possible items that they can give to you, and when they've given you all the possible items, they just recycle through them. Again, I could be wrong.

Update: my mum says they’re giving her repeat items now

I could be wrong, but the only logical guess I can presume is that the villagers have this pool of possible items that they can give to you, and when they've given you all the possible items, they just recycle through them. Again, I could be wrong.
Huh, if that's true, then the pool seems to be tied to the villager space on my island instead of the villager in question. After I stopped getting new items, I tried giving gifts to a new villager on my island, but I never got anything new, even after I got her friendship level high enough that Katrina stopped giving me a friendship blessing for her.

It could be linked to personality type?
Maybe? I was getting a mix of new items and old items for a week or two before I stopped getting new items altogether. It doesn't seem likely to me though because my Cranky was one of the first to stop giving me new items even though I didn't have a Cranky on my island for a while before recruiting Chief.

Reactions: Doo
So I wrapped up a random fossil, gave it to Zucker, and I got from him some coveralls with arm covers. I noticed that this was a different color variant (orange) instead since I had the same outfit in the blue variant. Then I went up to Reneigh with a similar gift and I got my first relay tank. Then I did the same for Toby and Broffina and I got a pilot's uniform and a pink shanty wall from them, respectively. All of these items were new catalog additions.
Update: I tried this with more villagers. I got the following…
  • A pastel party garland from Bill
  • A lime sleeveless sweater dress from Kiki
  • A black floor seat from Twiggy
  • A cone with red stripes from Bob
  • A green fishing vest from Carrie
  • A red plover cardigan from Elvis
Bob's gift was bolded because it was already catalogued before he gave it to me.

Bob's gift was bolded because it was already catalogued before he gave it to me.
Hmm...Is Bob either one of your starters or living where one of your starters used to live? Because I realized that Chief is living where my Sisterly starter used to live so I'm wondering if the game gives you 15-30 new items per villager position as an incentive for the player to give gifts to their villagers.

Another possibility is that you catalogued all of the Miscellanous items available in stores. Even when my villagers were giving me new items, any wallpaper they gave me was a repeat because I had bought all of the wallpaper available in Nook's Cranny.

Edit: Also, it could depend on the value of the fossil. Amber and other fossils that are single items didn't work for me while fossils that were parts of sets did. I read somewhere that Wisp considers "expensive" to be 3,000 bells to purchase so I think that single-set fossils are probably worth less than 750 bells when you sell them. Selling price is generally 1/4th of the purchase price so it's 750 bells to sell or 3,000 bells to buy. Non-fossil gifts that can be sold for at 750 bells also work. I've seen recommendations that you give your villagers 2 wrapped, non-native fruits in a stack, but that was after gifting villagers stopped giving me new items.

Last edited:
Hmm...Is Bob either one of your starters or living where one of your starters used to live? Because I realized that Chief is living where my Sisterly starter used to live so I'm wondering if the game gives you 15-30 new items per villager position as an incentive for the player to give gifts to their villagers.
Bob is not a starter villager and his house plot used to belong to Dotty, who is not one of my starters.

Another possibility is that you catalogued all of the Miscellanous items available in stores. Even when my villagers were giving me new items, any wallpaper they gave me was a repeat because I had bought all of the wallpaper available in Nook's Cranny.
I don't think I have all the Misc. orderables catalogued.

Edit: Also, it could depend on the value of the fossil. Amber and other fossils that are single items didn't work for me while fossils that were parts of sets did. I read somewhere that Wisp considers "expensive" to be 3,000 bells to purchase so I think that single-set fossils are probably worth less than 750 bells when you sell them.
I don't remember what specific fossils I gave to my villagers yesterday. I'm pretty sure it was a mix of single fossils and fossils from sets, and with those I got new catalog additions most of the time. Also, single-set fossils sell for more than 750 bells; the Amber you mentioned earlier can be sold to Nook's Cranny for 1,200 bells, according to Nookipedia (source), so I don't think value plays a role.

I've seen recommendations that you give your villagers 2 wrapped, non-native fruits in a stack, but that was after gifting villagers stopped giving me new items.
I'll try that and see what happens. I remember gifting non-native fruits was a way to increase friendship points with a villager, so at least I get something out of it.

Bob is not a starter villager and his house plot used to belong to Dotty, who is not one of my starters.

I don't think I have all the Misc. orderables catalogued.

I don't remember what specific fossils I gave to my villagers yesterday. I'm pretty sure it was a mix of single fossils and fossils from sets, and with those I got new catalog additions most of the time. Also, single-set fossils sell for more than 750 bells; the Amber you mentioned earlier can be sold to Nook's Cranny for 1,200 bells, according to Nookipedia (source), so I don't think value plays a role.

I'll try that and see what happens. I remember gifting non-native fruits was a way to increase friendship points with a villager, so at least I get something out of it.
Huh. I keep hoping to narrow down the variables before posting this in the "Little Things Some ACNH Players Might Not Know" thread, but every time I think I've figured something out, it turns out I'm wrong.

Giving them fossils also raises their friendship levels because the fossils count as furniture. I've been trying to find a gift guide that I saw once, but I still can't find it. All the gift guides I see now don't mention food. I did find a reddit thread where they mentioned fossils that aren't worth enough to count as a "top-tier gift", and amber was one of them. The reddit thread also recommended giving wrapped 2 non-native fruits.

This guide recommends giving furniture gifts that are worth at least 10,000 bells. So maybe the furniture gifts have to be worth at least 10,000 bells while any other gift should be worth at least 3,000 bells, and that's why amber and single-set fossils don't work? I still can't find any guides about getting new items as gifts from your villagers.

Huh. I keep hoping to narrow down the variables before posting this in the "Little Things Some ACNH Players Might Not Know" thread, but every time I think I've figured something out, it turns out I'm wrong.

Giving them fossils also raises their friendship levels because the fossils count as furniture. I've been trying to find a gift guide that I saw once, but I still can't find it. All the gift guides I see now don't mention food. I did find a reddit thread where they mentioned fossils that aren't worth enough to count as a "top-tier gift", and amber was one of them. The reddit thread also recommended giving wrapped 2 non-native fruits.

This guide recommends giving furniture gifts that are worth at least 10,000 bells. So maybe the furniture gifts have to be worth at least 10,000 bells while any other gift should be worth at least 3,000 bells, and that's why amber and single-set fossils don't work? I still can't find any guides about getting new items as gifts from your villagers.
And that leads to another experiment. My gifts this time (I made sure to take note of them) are:
  • A wrapped stack of two cherries (oranges are my island's native fruit)
  • A wrapped archaeopteryx (sells for 1,300 bells)
  • A wrapped archelon skull (sells for 4,000 bells)
  • A wrapped arcade combat game (costs 64,000 bells)
  • A wrapped desk mirror (costs 1,600 bells)
And here's a log of what happened:
  • Gave the cherries to Elvis and got a green parka undercoat (new!)
  • Gave the archaeopteryx to Reneigh and got some tiny shades (new!)
  • Gave the archelon skull to Bill and got some black full-body tights (new!)
  • Gave the arcade game to Bob and got a white sleeveless tunic (new!)
  • Gave the mirror to Twiggy and got a blue young-royal shirt (new!)
Something's not adding up here...

And can you give more details on the gifting guide that you couldn't find? Was it about something other than friendship? I'm curious.

And can you give more details on the gifting guide that you couldn't find? Was it about something other than friendship? I'm curious.
The gifting guide I can't find again was mostly graphics and had more details about what kinds of gifts you should give and when in order to get the maximum friendship points. I think it said that furniture was the best gift most of the time, but food was the best gift when a villager was celebrating their birthday? I definitely remember getting the 750-bell selling value from there because I had been thinking of it as gifts worth 3,000 bells before then. It had a small table describing the friendship value of various gifts, but I think it graded the gifts by letters instead of numbers.

Wait, I found it! I just did a search again and found the guide through a link on a website. It's the most detailed gifting guide I've seen so far, but it doesn't mention anything about how to get new items from villager gifts. I think that part of it might also be out of date because I remember seeing somewhere that the fruit stack trick doesn't work any more after an update to the game.

Back