Overplayed songs

UPTOWN FUNK OH MY GOD, ANY GOSH DARNED SONGS MADE BY BRUNO FREAKING MARS, NOT TO MENTION, THE WOBBLE, CUPID SHUFFLE CHA CHA SLIDE, Electric slide (The Best)

Stay with me by Sam Smith. I can't count how many times that one radio station in my area played
this song in the past months, over and over again, as if they are addicted to this song, it's annoying.

Pretty much anything that?s considered a classic rock standard, there?s so many songs that grate against my ears now thanks to the classic rock or 70s/80s stations. :b Like most of the time it?s an artist with a huge body of work and they just play the same 2-3 hits fifty thousand times a day

Basically anything on the radio, and furthering on that I hate the radio with a passion. It's why I decided to broaden my music taste entirely as the radio seems to focus more on trends than actual music. That wasn't really from that however. I had an encounter one time at a party where my friend who was throwing it gave us the ability to choose the music through her laptop. I chose a song that was released just a year prior from that Daft Punk album that dropped in 2013 if I recall. I was approached after selecting it, and told my choice was "old". Old? FROM JUST LAST YEAR AT THE TIME. I didn't express any kind of disdain as I didn't want to ruin the party, so instead I sat back, and observed a time where he selected a song. It was a song that I heard on the radio while driving over. So from that point on, I stopped listening to it. Not in any kind of effort fueled entirely by spite, though it is really ridiculous how prominent it is even though they play the same songs.

Any of Camila Cabello's solo career ("Never Be The Same" is particularly grating, the pre-chorus is so hard to listen to with how high pitched her vocals get), Gangnam Style, and as of recently, the Jonas Brothers' "Sucker" is starting to wear down on me, I thought it was an okay song at first but it's so hard hearing it everywhere I go.

EDIT: I forgot about "Grenade" by Bruno Mars, oh my gosh. I actually like most of Bruno Mars' hit songs, but "Grenade" is so grating, and I used to listen to a radio station where I could easily hear that song at least 20 times a listening session...

Last edited:
I think I'd live to give "Uptown Funk" a mention on here as well (I already mentioned "Don't Stop Believin').

Pretty much anything on the radio. I don't listen to the radio in my car, I play music off of my phone, but every time I get into someone else's car it's always the same songs. I'm SO tired of hearing old town road (side note: one remake with Billy Ray Cyrus I get, because he's supposed to be the country guy, right? But I heard he's planning on doing more remakes and I just don't see the point honestly)

i'm canadian and if i have to hear shawn mendes one more time i'm gonna snap

Anything on the radio, probably. I don't really listen to the radio anyways so it doesn't matter! I just torrent music.

I Love Rock And Roll by Joan Jett and The Blackhearts. The radio stations that I listen to play it pretty often.

To add another song, which is pretty overplayed: Giant by Calving Harris and Rag'n'Bone Man. I hear
this song everyday and everywhere, whenever it's on the radio or at the TV. It starts to bother me to
be honest...

How can everyone song played on the radio be overplayed? If they're all overplayed, then they're played the same amount as each other which means nothing is overplayed...

Shape of You by Ed Sheeran and Uptown Funk by Bruno Mars. Both of them are songs I hear all the time.

Sweet Home Alabama
Hotel California
Over the Rainbow
California Dreamin
Bad to the Bone
Born to be wild
I Don't Want to Miss a Thing
Don't Stop Believin'
I Will Survive
Shape of you

I worked in stores for years where they played the same music over and over all day long, it was mostly oldies, and they played "You Make Me Feel Brand New" like 10 times a day but nobody I know remember that song.

I don't regularly listen to the radio anymore for various reasons, but when I did, I always thought that Led Zeppelin was played to death (particularly "Stairway To Heaven", "Rock And Roll", "Black Dog" and "Immigrant Song"). Seriously, three hours couldn't pass by without hearing one of their songs. That wouldn't really be an issue for me if I enjoyed that band, but I just don't (with that said, I do acknowledge that they were talented though. I also have to give them some credit for influencing some bands that I actually enjoy).

There are some other bands/songs that I think are overplayed, but that's all I will mention for now.

Flowers by Miley Cyrus. While my husband and I were out driving, that song was going to come on and my husband turned off the radio immediately. I didn't stop him either because the song was overplayed so much that I also can't stand it anymore. I don't really listen to the radio but I imagine some songs are replayed consistantly for a reason. That's a reason for me not to listen tune in lol

In Australia (maybe even the rest of the world, idk) they have been using the same song in KFC ads for years now. Years. I didn't care for the song to begin with and now i absolutely hate it (ironically the song is called "I Love It" by Icona Pop). It's so jarring and honestly I think there should be a law that prohibits companies from using the same song longer than a year in their commercials

Canadian music stations play an insane amount of Justin Bieber, Drake, and The Weeknd. Like, one of their songs comes on every couple songs or so. This isn’t the worst thing since I do like a few of Justin’s and The Weeknd’s songs, but the problem is is that it’s the same few songs over and over again. For Justin, it’s “Yummy” and “Stay”. For The Weeknd, it’s “Blinding Lights”, “Pray for Me”, “Save Your Tears“, “I Feel It Coming”, “Star Boy” and “Can’t Feel My Face”. I really like The Weeknd’s music, and I actually used to like the songs of his that I listed, but they’ve been overplayed so much that I can’t really stand to listen to any of them anymore. “Pray for Me” is the only exception since it was for Black Panther and makes me think of Chadwick Boseman.

I appreciate Canadian music stations wanting to play these artists a lot since they’re a few of the most popular Canadian artists right now, but I’d love to hear some of their other songs instead of the same few ones over and over. Hit me with The Weeknd’s “Heartless”, “The Hills” and “In the Night”, and some of Justin’s older songs like “Beauty And A Beat”, “As Long as You Love Me”, “Eenie Meenie”, “Ghost”, “Never Say Never” and “Baby” and I’ll be happy LOL

I said this in another thread recently, but “Closer” by The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey and “Girls Like You” by Maroon 5 ft. Cardi B were also insanely overplayed. Not so much anymore thankfully since both songs have been out for 5+ years now, but I’m still so sick of them that I immediately change the station whenever they do come on. I actually liked both songs when they first came out, but how often they were played quickly ruined them both for me.

Back