The METAL thread! \m/

*I can't decide on a favorite Megadeth album, but I really liked Rust In Peace! Killing Is My Business, Countdown To Extinction, Youthanasia, and The World Needs a Hero were also very good.
I'm glad to hear you liked Megadeth since they're probably my favorite band. Those are all good albums. Rust in Peace is my personal favorite when considering the album as a whole, but my favorite song is In My Darkest Hour which is on So Far, So Good... So What! Last Rites/Loved to Deth is another of my favorites from Killing is my Business.

I just finished listening to Megadeth's discography*, so now I'm trying to decide on which metal artist I should listen to next. I was thinking Lamb Of God since I only know two of their songs (11th Hour and Memento Mori) and loved them both, but I also wanna check out Cannibal Corpse and I've listened to two of their albums so far... Gah, so hard to choose with so many great metal bands!

*I can't decide on a favorite Megadeth album, but I really liked Rust In Peace! Killing Is My Business, Countdown To Extinction, Youthanasia, and The World Needs a Hero were also very good.

Who would you say has the more consistent discography: Metallica or Megadeth?

The only Lamb Of God album I've listened to so far is As The Palaces Burn, since it contained "Ruin" and "11th Hour"; two tracks I really dug. "Laid To Rest" and "Now You've Got Something To Die For" from Ashes Of The Wake were also pretty good, but those songs didn't entirely entice me into wanting to listen to that release in full. Also, just in case you weren't aware, Lamb Of God used to be known as Burn The Priest. In 1999 they released an album under that name before becoming LOG (is it worth listening to? I don't know, you decide if you want to do that or not).

I'm glad to hear you liked Megadeth since they're probably my favorite band. Those are all good albums. Rust in Peace is my personal favorite when considering the album as a whole, but my favorite song is In My Darkest Hour which is on So Far, So Good... So What! Last Rites/Loved to Deth is another of my favorites from Killing is my Business.
Those are some good tracks! I can't decide on a favorite song, but mine would probably be "Mechanix" or "Rust In Peace... Polaris"! I also really like "Symphony Of Destruction", "A Tout Le Monde" and "Dread and the Fugitive Mind".

Who would you say has the more consistent discography: Metallica or Megadeth?
In my opinion, I would say Megadeth's discography is more consistent. While Dave Mustaine's vocals mellowed out in later albums, their sound managed to remain the same, for the most part. Metallica, though... Their sound was all over the place, and their albums are totally different from each other. That's not a bad thing, of course... Unless we're talking about Lulu or St. Anger, haha.

But if we're talking about how consistently good their songs are, then I would say Metallica. As good as Rust In Peace and Countdown To Extinction are, I think it's a pretty amazing feat to make five ground-breaking, fan-favorite albums in a row in your band's history (even if the rest of the albums suck!).

The only Lamb Of God album I've listened to so far is As The Palaces Burn, since it contained "Ruin" and "11th Hour"; two tracks I really dug. "Laid To Rest" and "Now You've Got Something To Die For" from Ashes Of The Wake were also pretty good, but those songs didn't entirely entice me into wanting to listen to that release in full. Also, just in case you weren't aware, Lamb Of God used to be known as Burn The Priest. In 1999 they released an album under that name before becoming LOG (is it worth listening to? I don't know, you decide if you want to do that or not).
That's good to know! I wouldn't have known "Burn The Priest" existed, so thanks for the heads-up.

Random metal thought of the day:

While looking at Korn lyrics, I came across a "radio mix" version of the song "A.D.I.D.A.S."... This'll be good. Looking at the lyrics, some of the replacement words are kind of funny (even though they suck), or don't make any sense. Why change "It doesn't matter to me"? I don't know.

Obviously I wasn't around when this song played on radio stations, but I would be pretty disappointed to hear this version. But, hey, you gotta do whatever gets your music publicized. (And for reference: The, uh, track title seems to be unchanged.)
1715392558715.png

Edit: Just to sate my curiosity, I went ahead and searched for the "radio mix" version, or at least the closest thing to it, since the audio seems akin to the one used in the A.D.I.D.A.S. music video. (It's still hilariously bad, heh.)

Last edited:
I thought about Hear 'N' Aid's "Stars", and how it was jam-packed with Metal star power. This is probably the only song you will ever hear with Ronny James Dio, Rob Halford, Geoff Tate and Don Dokken all singing in it (unfortunately, Bruce Dickinson isn't present, although the guitarists from Iron Maiden are). Features other '80s Heavy Metal/Hard Rock singers and musicians as well (I don't recognize everyone here though. Good thing is the credits appear at the end). Might be kind of "cheesy", but it's still a fun song, and it was for charity so one has to also commend these guys for trying to contribute with something.

I found this article too and it was an interesting read:

Within Temptation is amazing thats the post and also xzbit too is amazing as well easily a top 5 in my book long with dmx,redman,eminem and jadakiss.

Xzibit collaborating with a Symphonic Metal band? That's something you don't see every day, ha ha.

And now, the Judgment Night soundtrack from 1993 comes to mind. I've yet to see the actual film, but the soundtrack featured collaborations between various Rock/Metal bands and rappers. The highlight for me from that release is the track Helmet did with House Of Pain (it goes hard, instrumentally and lyrically).

It's interesting how Anathema went from originally performing Death-Doom Metal to something like this:

Then again, that probably shouldn't be too surprising as even at the dawn of their career they had a couple of short songs such as "J'ai Fait Une Promesse" and "Everwake" that foreshadowed this change in style. Ultimately, it doesn't matter to me if the music is heavy or soft just as long as I find it to be enjoyable.

Back