• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

To use “The Path” or not to. That is the question...

Use The Path or Nah?

• Total voters

Bcat

👻Spoopy all season long👻
Bells
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Candy Corn Halloweaster Egg
Ok, so I’m gearing up to remodel my island for the new updates, and I wanted to outsource opinions on a design choice.

By now I’m sure we’ve all seen “The Path”. You know, this one.
44EA0426-4417-4621-A97D-7709B29CD0F6.jpeg
It’s pretty much everywhere you look these days. I actually think it’s more difficult to find an island that doesn’t use it (or at least a variation of it) than an island that does. Honestly though, I don’t think that’s a bad thing. It’s pretty flipping aesthetic, and I almost always love the designs that people make with it!

The problem is I can’t decide if I want to use it on my own island or not. Currently, I use the default paths shaped into little hearts and accent then with custom designs that i change seasonally. Like this:
13745558-1E96-4792-A19E-5AFE8E551345.jpeg

This is pretty awesome because not only is it cute, it saves design space too! But as much as I love this... I think it might be time for a change. I reallly like The Path’s overall aesthetic, but I’m also worried that it might be a overdone and verging on cliched to use it. I don’t want to strip my island away of the things that make it special, but I also don’t want to hold off on using a design element that I might enjoy just because a lot of other people use it too.

Basically I need outside opinions lmao.

So what about you guys? Do you use the Path on your island? Do you think I should try it too, or do you think The Path is overdone and that I should keep my existing paths? Maybe you have another suggestion you’d like to share? Lay your opinions on me. Looking forward to what you guys have to say and any other fun path-related thoughts!

I was debating this for my own island a month ago. I ended up using a couple of different versions of the path because I liked the more natural edging it had. I'm using a brick one, and a dark dirt one. I wouldn't say it's an overdone thing because there's really endless versions of the path. All you are really deciding is if you want those more natural edges on your roads or not.

I'm quite pleased so far and plan to keep them for now, but may end up switching back to an in-game path in the future. I'm always having fun changing things up depending on how I feel in the moment.

I don't, but mainly because I don't have NSO and I was a dumb dumb who didn't download it last time I did. :rolleyes: If I did have that path, I would probably use it though.Right now all of the paths I use are the ones that are built into the game. They are OK and certainly better than nothing, but The Path is so much prettier.

Maybe people use it a lot, but honestly I think you should build the island you want to build. Back during NL I avoided building an Asian-themed town because "everyone does it" and I wanted to feel more original. But you know what? I regretted not going for that aesthetic because that's what I genuinely wanted. I went for an Asian-themed feel for NH and I'm so much happier with that decision.

Maybe you can introduce "the path" to small areas of your island. That way you can still keep the default stone path they give you outside your stores, but then in foresty areas you can use the custom path. That way there's some variety. Then if you like it, you can redo the rest of your island but if you don't vibe with the custom path then at least it's only in some areas.

Maybe you can introduce "the path" to small areas of your island. That way you can still keep the default stone path they give you outside your stores, but then in foresty areas you can use the custom path. That way there's some variety. Then if you like it, you can redo the rest of your island but if you don't vibe with the custom path then at least it's only in some areas.

this is what I did when I was "trialing" the path for the first time. I just placed it down in a small area or two to see how I felt about it before placing it all over my entire island

I resisted using The Path on my island at first. However, the default dirt paths didn’t prevent flowers and weeds from growing on top of them. This was driving me nuts, so I gave up and accepted The Path. I’m much happier now. Even though the tiles do glitch sometimes.

Like what the users above have said. Maybe you can try using different types of paths (qr code and default) and see what you like. That’s what I did with my island. I used default terracotta for the museum area, default wood for the entrance and plaza, and The Path for my farming and camping areas.

I used to have the Path design and loved it then I re-changed my whole island but now I am thinking of going back to using the path especially cause there are so many variations of it that you could easily find one to fit your island.

Frankly, I don't give a darn who all uses that path—and yes, I'm calling it "that path" and not "THE path" on purpose. Why? Because the idea isn't really that unique, and I don't think it needs to be treated like this grand innovation. The reason it's popular is because it is an entire style/aesthetic. I had my own version of it back in New Leaf, as did lots of other players. It's nothing crazy specific—like a molten lava path or a walk on clouds—it's literally just a natural path that almost any person would choose to go with a natural aesthetic.

So if you are going for a more natural aesthetic, go with it unashamedly! Yes it's popular because it's good, but also because it is just that basic of a concept (and I mean that in a good way, to be clear).

Never saw the hype for "the path". It just isn't my thing.

Since I used the path, I can no longer imagine my island without it.

I also debated this question. I generally like to use defaults as much as possible, but after a point, I did add the Path on a portion of my island in order to get more natural-looking paths. It looks fine, and I am happy I did it, but I hate relying on user-generated content. I can see people going either way on this one.

If you are still debating on the Path or not, you are more than welcome to check out my island using my dream address below.

don’t want to hold off on using a design element that I might enjoy just because a lot of other people use it too.

You answered your own question. It's your island. It being "overused" is irrelevant. If you like The Path, use it 😊

I tried to use the path before for my island but turns out, I don't have the landscaping skills to make it work. I see it often being used in cottage-core type of islands and I know those take a lot of effort to build. I have a "simple town" themed island so I find the generic boxy path to be sufficient and easier to navigate. I'm not kidding but I always seem to get lost on every single dream address that I've visited that uses The Path 😂

I have used a variation of the path on my last island and it’s very very pretty indeed and aesthetic so I’d say go for it if you really want it! Don’t mind it being overdone or whatever. The only downside to using it is losing the sounds when you walk on them vs when you use the in game pathing and also, accidentally erasing them while playing. Other than that, no other negatives.

i’ve never used “the path” and don’t have any plans to, but i’m gonna piggyback off of everyone else’s responses and say go for it! it really is a lovely path, and like already mentioned, there’s so many different versions of it that you can use it while still keeping a sense of uniqueness to your island, if that makes sense aha. the choice is entirely yours, and you can’t go wrong either way — both options are great. :’)

i really like how it looks so if you have the patience to remodel your island and lay it down, go for it!! i dont know about the winter color scheme though/ i wouldnt look at who has it or how popular it is, if you like it, use it! having a "one of a kind" thing doesnt mean anything if you enjoy a popular thing more ^^

I really like how it looks with the path, to be honest. It requires a lot of patience though so if you have the time, I’d highly suggest going for it. The result will be worth it.

I love The Path and many variations of it. Unfortunately the original Path doesn't have a single width option so you have to scrounge around to find those if you want them. But fortunately, several people have made matching single width tiles. But some of the people who have made single width horizontal and vertical pieces didn't make end caps for them so you have to be careful which set you choose. Ideally the Path would include about 13 to 15 tiles rather than 9 or 11. It just takes patience to find all the pieces one might want to use.

Back