• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

What's the last movie you've seen?

I watched Star Wars: Episode IV. I don’t know what else I have to say. It’s really, really good. The writing’s good, the acting is good, the score’s amazing, there are only two real criticisms I have. The first one is the special effects. It makes sense that a movie released in 1977 wouldn’t age well in the special effects department, but this movie actually avoids that mostly, besides a few scenes. If R2 D2 and C-3PO were CGI, I’d have no idea. The second thing is that the movie kind of loses steam when Luke joins the Rebel Alliance in fighting off the Death Star, but it knows to end the movie shortly after, and the scene doesn’t last too long.

8/10. Well done, George Lucas.
1708983704759.png

Hot Tub Time Machine

I used to watch this movie all the time during my younger party days. As much as I appreciate great films, I still have a soft spot for dumb modern movies.

At the end of the movie, you could see the year on the hot tub. 2010. I recall watching it the first time and noticing that it was the current year of that time. Now it's 2024. Dang, man. 👨‍🦳

A Man Called Otto.

This movie had a nice plot. Although I'm not old enough to find the story relatable in any form whatsoever. The side characters were wooden and not interesting. The end implications of him walking around nearing a heart attack caused me really bad anxiety. The movie was also so clean and polished that it felt like plastic. I was constantly distracted by the house interiors. They didn't even look lived in.

I'd give it a 6.5/10. I did end up caring for otto. The emotional scenes are done well.

They were a couple of days apart so I'm going to list both.

Most recent was Jesus Revolution. Our church wanted us to watch it. It was an ok movie. It was based off of a real life event. The movie left out some details from the real story that I don't think should have been left out but I think they did it to help get thier main message across? It isn't a movie I would rewatch but was worth watching once for myself.

The other movie we have watch was Leave the World Behind. It just left theaters and hit streaming. A very new movie, and the word is that Obama had a very big interest in the film and contacted the director before they finished the movie to give his input after reading its script. It was a must see film for us because of this otherwise we probably wouldn't have watched it. I found the film interesting and I recommend it for every American because of its nature and because one of our former presidents was greatly interested and took the time to be involved. I would actually make a thread about this movie because I really wouldn't mind talking about aspects or details about the movie or listening to others thoughts but due to the movie's nature and it being rated R, I didn't think that was a good idea. It is a grim movie and may bother some people.
But it is not gorey as in the God Father gorey or Django gorey, so there is that.

watched just my luck (2006). not in its entirety though, skipped to the mcfly parts (naturally)

Turning Red 🐼🎈 it was my third time watching it, and found myself enjoying it a lot more all of a sudden. Got a couple of chuckles out of me lol I guess it's one of those movies that gets funnier with age.

Just a fun silly movie. Nothing too spectacular, just harmless and wacky.

Gravity.

I could tell this film was meant to be seen in theaters. Getting it on Netflix likely wasn't doing it justice. Still found it visually stunning.

Today I watched Star Wars Episode V. Yes, I am going to watch all of them, and yes, I am posting all my thoughts here. The only thing I’m not sure on is what I want to count as a movie, like, for example, do I have to watch Rogue One or Obi-Wan Kenobi too? Uh, I think I got a little off track. Anyway, you might know this movie as the one that has this scene, but did you know it actually says “No, I am your father”, and not “Luke, I am your father?” Just like how it never says “beam me up, Scotty” in Star Trek. Okay, I’ll stop stalling and say what I actually thought now.

It was… good. Actually, really good. It’s definitely better than Episode IV, it even has a better sequel hook ending. I kind of felt like Leia was in love with Han, and it’s way better than her being in love with Luke, for reasons that are explained in the next movie, but I already know, so it makes the ship teasing scenes a little uncomfortable. The special effects are a little better, but I guess I was paying closer attention to them this time, because I did notice a lot of clearly fake ones, but it was 1980, so it’s understandable. Some scenes with special effect failures even end up working anyway. This was also the movie where they introduced The Imperial March, which is obviously worth commending for becoming so popular and well known, to the extent of the main leitmotif.

…I think that wraps it up. The next movie I have to watch is Return of the Jedi, so I’ll be back in like a week or something when I watch that. But I think this movie is an 8.5/10.

What Happened to Monday. I wasn't aware until the last 20 minutes that this was a Netflix original. I typically avoid those kinds of movies. I couldn't even find much information about it online after.

It was, quite simply, okay. It had an interesting concept that I think would have fit better as a slow burn or character study rather than being an action movie.

re-watched The Dark Knight the other day.. Heath Ledger really was an amazing Joker 😮‍💨

But I also had a random thought after watching the movie.. they should make a batman who is also a vampire (probably already been done before in comics or whatever but i think it'd be silly and fun)

I watched Lisa Frankenstein in theatres earlier this week, and it was pretty awful. I mean, I didn't go into it with high expectations, but it was even worse than I thought.

Two Distant Strangers. This was a Netflix original. Primarily a message about racism in america.

I thought it was fine, if not a little bit too inspired by Groundhog Day.

Back