• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

10,000 Bells: GameCube Version vs New Leaf

Alolan_Apples

Old > New
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
I remember writing blog entries about how Animal Crossing progresses over time back when I was a newbie, but now I like going deeper into some aspects of the game.

Today, it's about money making and how much one value is worth over time. If you want to know what is worth more between 10,000 Bells from the GameCube Version and 10,000 Bells in New Leaf, the answer is the same gameplay-wise, but I would have to say that the GameCube Version's amounts is worth more. Here's why:

Back in the days of the GameCube Version, 10,000 Bells was considered a lot. The reason being is because of how money-making was a chore. In the GC version, the only fish at the sea were sea basses, red snappers, and barred knifejaws. Rare fish like the Coelacanth and Stringfish were much rarer back then. And most fish you can catch can't top 6,000 Bells in price. I don't know much about money rocks since I didn't utilize the feature like I did with fishing, but making money by fishing did not pay much. Sea basses, the fish we all hated, used to worth much less than we know now (120 Bells), hence our sea bass hatred. So the only fish you would want to catch are red snappers and barred knifejaws. 3,000 Bells was a lot, and these fish will help you pay your debts quicker. Another possible reason why 10,000 Bells was a lot was because the only big projects you had were paying off debts to your house. It required about 1.4 million Bells to pay off an entire house, and there were only four houses. So you had fewer Bells to spend, fish didn't pay very well, and there weren't as many items.

Moving onto Wild World. At this point, making money has gotten easier, but not by much. With the introduction to sharks, palm beetles, and more rare bugs and fish, you can make money easier by catching fish and bugs. But your house debts are even higher than before, with one of the most expensive debts in AC history at the end. And feathers were introduced, giving you more money-spending opportunities. City Folk added even more than what Wild World brought us.

Finally, at New Leaf, money making has gotten much easier. You can easily make money by going to the island. If you catch only sharks and palm beetles, and not catch the Goliath Beetle or Ocean Sunfish at all, then the least you can make with a full basket is 320,000 Bells, and that's not even on Wealthy Town ordinance. With just sharks (or great white sharks whatever you call them), then 600,000 Bells is what you make from going to the island. But your total house debt is around 7.5 million Bells. And let's not forget about the PWPs or how many items you can collect in game. Basically, there were more spending opportunities, more Bells to spend, and fishing and bug hunting pays a lot more than ever before. Because of this, 10,000 Bells seems worthless now.

The game treats 10,000 Bells in ACNL like it treats 10,000 Bells in the GameCube Version, but due to how easy money making has gotten, 10,000 Bells in the GameCube Version is more like 100,000 Bells in New Leaf. And 10,000 Bells in New Leaf is more like 1,000 Bells in the GameCube Version. Ironically, 100 Bells in the GameCube Version is still like 100 Bells in New Leaf. And prices have always stayed the same.

I can remember the debt Tom Nook charged you after expanding your main room to 8x8 (which is 398,000 Bells) took a long time to pay off. But it doesn't feel like anything in New Leaf, especially when I once traded 60 million Bells over the Wi-Fi before in one run (to get 300 TBT Bells). An island trip can help you get to 398,000 Bells quickly. And Tom Nook charges you 198,000 Bells for the exact same house of the same size in ACNL.

Sure 10,000 bells may have been a bit difficult to make on AC:GCN. You did mention that you never utilized the money rock feature, though. If you prepare yourself and hit the rock as many times as possible, you can easily make about 16,000 bells a day just off of that.

And I have to admit, I may have struggled a bit in the very beginning, but it wasn't long until my brother discovered that glorious 30k bell cheat code. I used it so many times I memorized it. I know that using cheat codes is considered "cheating", but hey, it works! :rolleyes:

And then like in Wild World I learned the money duping glitch and that really helped me pay off my house in my new town more than I ever could in my old town.

In CF-- I can't even talk about that. I would probably get banned if I did.

Idk I've always found ways to make money by cheating. Cheating in video games is like my specialty. Maybe that's why I play as Waluigi so much lol

Last edited:
Back