• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

5 features in Animal Crossing series that were actually useless or harmful

Alolan_Apples

Old > New
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
As we miss some of the old features while liking the newer ones, there were some features long-gone that actually had no use in the game. Some were harmful, others were not. This list is not going to include the showy features that are useless because even if they provide no mechanical benefit, it at least made your town look better. Those would be stuff like the illuminated art PWPs, lights on pine trees, and the fighting in the museum.

1. Grass Deterioration - ever since its introduction in City Folk, it has always been a problem. When you (or another character) step on grass, it wears away. The more grass that's gone, the less you could do stuff like rolling snowballs for snowpeople. The problem in City Folk was way worse than it was in New Leaf. It wears down fast, and it hardly even recovers. Now it recovers faster, but wears down as slowly as it recovers.
  2. Item pickup holidays and some Wild World Holidays - holidays are fun, but do you remember some of the long-forgotten holidays from the GameCube version that never came back? Stuff like Snow Day, Founder's Day, Town Day, and Graduation Day practically had little use. If you're not a collector, there's no use. All you do is pick up an item from the mayor (Tortimer) and go). Thanks to face cut-out standees in ACNL, these kinds of holidays are no longer as useless as they used to be. Still not beneficial, but were showy. As for stuff like La-di Day and Yay Day, they absolutely have no use.
  3. Insurance - in Wild World, you had an insurance feature where if you tripped over, get stung by bees, or get a counterfeit painting, you can get bells for recovery. But you don't get the bells that live up to your damages. Instead, the feature is a scam. You get charged a lot for it when it has no use in-game.
  4. Talking to Sable - prior to New Leaf when QR codes were introduced, Sable had no use for the game. Every time you talk to her, you just get nothing. In the GameCube version, you couldn't even be friends with her.
  5. Wild World episodes - back in Wild World, special NPCs like Blathers and Tom Nook will sigh, as you can ask them what's wrong. They will tell you a story, and you can talk to them about it. Although it may seem entertaining, it doesn't have any benefit.
These features actually had some use in-game, but are more useless than useful:

• Gyroids
  • Coffee
  • Observatory and Constellations
  • Journals
  • Note in the bottle

I figured you would mention the fact that villagers can put their house wherever they desire. That is complete crap.

I actually miss the observatory and constellations. I feel bad that celeste has been reduced down to a museum shop sales owl :p

I also have a love/hate relationship with grass deterioration because I use dirt paths in town. It's only really noticeable if you time travel a lot, but it would be nice to be able to control it better. The random patches of dirt that never grows back however, is super pointless and annoying.

dizzy bone;bt13779 said:
The random patches of dirt that never grows back however, is super pointless and annoying.
Oh I know! What is even the point of having ugly dirt patches in your town? Dirt patches automatically appear under buildings and PWPs so it can't be that (tbh I don't like that feature either)! All they do is make your town look like an old guy with multiple receding hairlines.

Back