• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

ACNH Anti-Features, A Speculative Experience.

Also something people wanted in past games was the weather system to reflect the weather in your area - which would be terrible for people living where it never snows who want the frozen furniture etc.
There was someone on here who lived somewhere without snow, and they hated snow and said they didn't plan on playing for the entirety of winter because it was unnatural to them to see snow. I don't know if they actually did that or not, but they were adamant that they wanted to be able to remove snow from the game.

I'm the opposite - I'm from NY, live in Southern California. I miss snow! I would be so bummed if they were like "You live in Southern CA, no rain or snow for you!!"

There was someone on here who lived somewhere without snow, and they hated snow and said they didn't plan on playing for the entirety of winter because it was unnatural to them to see snow. I don't know if they actually did that or not, but they were adamant that they wanted to be able to remove snow from the game.

I'm the opposite - I'm from NY, live in Southern California. I miss snow! I would be so bummed if they were like "You live in Southern CA, no rain or snow for you!!"
I've seen snow twice in my life and I live for animal crossing winters, personally

Also, I finally came up with my own to add to this list:
Other villagers can use the ABD, so sometimes you have to wait for the to finish up using to be able to use it again. This would take just a couple minutes, if there was only one villager in line

• i always felt like getting stung by tarantulas or scorpions (and now wasps) and fainting should be more dramatic. maybe your controls get messed up for a little hit until the pain wears off or until you take medicine. this part wouldn't really be an anti-feature, but maybe villagers who are your close friends would be beside you when you wake up to give you the medicine.
  • you already can't give villagers gifts right away (at least not face-to-face, i think sending them in the mail is always ok), but maybe if you do something to upset one of your villagers they'll refuse your gifts for a while. not a SUPER long time, maybe just for the rest of the day at most.
  • if you wear the same outfit for too long (like, maybe a week or more), villagers will comment about how dirty your clothes are or something. actually that's another idea, having to wash your clothes and/or yourself. at least it'd give items like bathtubs and washing machines a real purpose!
  • if you can remodel your house, why not your neighbors? for people who try to have their towns conform to a specific aesthetic it'd be annoying to suddenly find that a villager's remodeled their house exterior without your permission.
as charming and thoughtful as everyone's ideas are, you know that if they were implemented there would be soooo many people complaining about the inconvenience.

• i always felt like getting stung by tarantulas or scorpions (and now wasps) and fainting should be more dramatic. maybe your controls get messed up for a little hit until the pain wears off or until you take medicine. this part wouldn't really be an anti-feature, but maybe villagers who are your close friends would be beside you when you wake up to give you the medicine.
  • you already can't give villagers gifts right away (at least not face-to-face, i think sending them in the mail is always ok), but maybe if you do something to upset one of your villagers they'll refuse your gifts for a while. not a SUPER long time, maybe just for the rest of the day at most.
  • if you wear the same outfit for too long (like, maybe a week or more), villagers will comment about how dirty your clothes are or something. actually that's another idea, having to wash your clothes and/or yourself. at least it'd give items like bathtubs and washing machines a real purpose!
  • if you can remodel your house, why not your neighbors? for people who try to have their towns conform to a specific aesthetic it'd be annoying to suddenly find that a villager's remodeled their house exterior without your permission.
as charming and thoughtful as everyone's ideas are, you know that if they were implemented there would be soooo many people complaining about the inconvenience.
As much as I love grooming and bathing IRL, the idea of having to take regular baths and do laundry in a game makes my butt itch. I love it!

Another anti-feature idea on the topic of bathroom habits:
Not sitting on a toilet in game for more than a week makes you unable to consume any food until you go to the doctor

Also, the need for regular doctors visit/the ability for a player character to become sick in game, like how the animal residents can

Oh! One more:
If you have roaches in your house for too long, you can also get moths, which would damage your clothes, needing you to repair or replace them

Spoiled fruit.
When eating a fruit there is a chance of eating a spoiled fruit. The spoiled fruit makes you sick, your face turning green. This "sick day" lasts only for one day. Think about how villagers get sick. Why not you? The negative effects of this are the following: All your villagers repeat the same dialogue about you needing rest and how horrible you look. Nooks and shopkeepers refuse to sell to you because you look too sick. Lottie tells you that you look too sick to work at HHP. Wardell also mentions how you look sick and need to go home and rest.

Anything involving villager homes being moved or remodeled takes multiple days, with the animal in question crashing at your place the whole time. If it's your own home being expanded/moved, you're given a tent to live in or the option to stay with a villager you're close friends with. This wouldn't change anything other than where your day starts, visiting the dream suite, etc.

This made me laugh.

Some of these are probably mentioned but here some more ridiculous anti-features:

- Not changing your clothes daily can can cause you to stink/have flies. Villagers will comment on this and/or avoid you. (I’d actually like this tbh)
- Passing out from getting bitten from tarantulas/scorpions/multiple wasps will result in a resetti dialogue where he deduct bells from you for the hospital fee (inspired by stardew valley hahah)
- Villagers can shake trees for fruit and anything considered food items that are left out can be eaten by villagers
- You cannot enter the houses of Villagers you haven’t gained enough friendship points with, even if they are at home.
- NPCs/shop keepers can leave their post and wander around the island during break time.
- Your Nookphone has a charging dock item and your phone can run out of batteries if you do not charge it, I.e if you don’t charge it before you quit the game or during game play when the battery is low. You cannot access your phone or apps while it’s charging or turned off. You can also get spam mail.
- Craftable items can degrade over item, such as fences and wooden chairs. You would have to pick them up again and repair them.

- Villagers can shake trees for fruit and anything considered food items that are left out can be eaten by villagers

i actually would like if they ate the food items it'd be cute! of course i'm sure many people would disagree with anything that messes with their vision for their island (which is valid!). but i personally think it'd be fun to regularly cook or buy new foods and leave them out as gifts for the animals.

Back at it again:

In the winter/when it’s snowing and sticking to the ground: all island greenery dies.

Trees don’t produce fruit for the duration of winter, crops can’t be grown, and flowers wilt

I’d make the hybrid flower market more lively hahaha

Back