• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

An error has occurred

Yes, Isabelle asks you when you start up the game to start, or "There's something else" or whatever option it gives you. She then gives you something like 3 other options. One being to look for updates.

Ah, I see! Thank you for answering! :blush:

They kind of hide the error code. It's at the top. Anyway, I was having the same problem, but looked up the code. This is what you're looking for.

nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/results.jsp?error_code=018-0512&system=3DS&locale=en_US (Plus the www, but I couldn't post that, because I'm new. But it's all there.)

Has to do with your router's firewall blocking the connection. Should work with the fixes they provide. :3

Glad it's not just me. I've been having the exact same issue. There will be no lag or delay or anything! And then all of a sudden the "error has occurred" screen shows up. And it doesn't happen every time. I'll be over a friends town for a good 30 minutes to an hour and its fine and i'll go back home. And then some times it'll work fine for 5-15 minutes at my town or some one else's and then all of a sudden BAM! "error has occurred".
Hopefully Nintendo is aware of the issue by now and solves it soon because I really like visiting people. It makes the game a lot more fun once you're done with your daily routine n_n!

Just to confirm, I haven't had the issue even once since. Seems the issue really is just the firewall, and therefor, it's not something they can patch. Has to be fixed user end.

To add to that, when playing locally, not through the Internet the firewall is NOT involved. For example me and my brother could play Mario Kart together wirelessly without WiFi say up north without any WiFi around. Removing the Firewall is only a good fix for using the Internet to connect and play with others. And this was confirmed by the Nintendo representative on the phone I spoke with.

Happened to me last night too. It sucked too because my friend gave me all these cool things.

What I suggest you do is save whenever you do something productive in your town or receive something cool. The host of the town can save by pressing start.

I had errors trying to Download the game from the eShop. It would download then not finish. After repeatedly trying, I called Nintendo. The 1st person tried to help but he didn't have the information on his computer to be of any assistance to me. He then connected me to another department which handles wifi issues. The technician was able to access my router settings through a program that he had me install. He also told me what to manually enter on my 3DS. I still had download trouble but I left it running in the wee hours of the morning while I slept. When I woke up the game had downloaded completely but the screen showed a error code. So it had to be a server problem which likely was overload. The other night I visited a town and when on its island got a error screen and got disconnected. Went back to the same town and to its island again only to have it happen once more. So its either server overload or a game glitch. While incorrect router settings can create a problem in my case the Nintendo technician adjusted my settings. So I feel the problem lies with Nintendo. What bothered me when I was on the phone with them was that they couldn't tell me exactly what the problem was at all. And I was on the phone almost a hour and a half with 2 guys in support.

Well, i'm having this problem too. Never had a single problem with my internet, my internet download at 60mb/s and doesn't lag at all.
Animal Crossing is the only game causing me issues online on the 3DS.

Okay so I finally got it fixed some how... call your internet provider and ask them how to ensure the 3DS will work with your internet. They had me fix a few things and even change the 3DS IP address and that seemed to do the trick. :)

This has been plaguing me too, and absolutely nothing has helped to solve the issue. Unfortunately the problem is as I suspected. According to Nintendo, it's a router/modem incompatibility. The only solution is to get a new one. :(

Back