• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Animal Crossing 3DS might be downloadable on the eShop

SockHead

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
0671-3460-7238
Weird Doll
There have been other threads mentioning it, but none have made one that focuses on it.

3ds426.jpg

Here's the full article:​

Satoru Iwata dropped the proverbial bomb today in an investor presentation, announcing plans to distribute certain retail 3DS games on the eShop download service, where they will be stored on the SD card. The first game to receive this dual release treatment is New Super Mario Bros. 2, due worldwide in August. In addition, the "Onitore" Brain Training game will be sold in this manner.

As for the kinds of games Nintendo wants to distribute digitally, Iwata offered the following explanation: "Nintendo publishes various titles that enable you to enjoy daily communication, such as 'nintendogs,' 'Animal Crossing' and 'Tomodachi Collection,' in addition to the ones like 'Onitore' (temp.), with which you might like to practice every day, and database-type software like 'Hana to Ikimono Rittai Zukan' (sold in Japan only). It must be easier for the Nintendo 3DS owners to feel the merit of being able to carry around only the Nintendo 3DS system with, in particular, these kinds of software titles stored inside."

He added that even other, non daily-communication-related titles stored on a single system would be "handy."

Nintendo plans to sell codes for downloadable versions at retailers, in addition to directly through eShop, in order to avoid cutting its retail partners out, and to avoid alienating users who prefer to buy everything at retail. "Furthermore," he said, "we recognize that one of the biggest hurdles for the expansion of our digital business is the limited methods to expose digitally downloadable products to potential consumers. This recognition is one of the reasons why we are taking this sort of approach."

http://i.joystiq.com/2012/04/26/nintendo-releasing-retail-games-on-3ds-eshop-starting-with-new/

digital2.jpg

digital3.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'm not sure if I understand it all completely, but does this mean it will be possible to download onto a 3DS and be purchased as a game card?

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I understand it all completely, but does this mean it will be possible to download onto a 3DS and be purchased as a game card?

Yup, but you'll need an SD card for the digital copy.

This game will probably be around 2 - 4 GBs so people will need to buy SD cards with bigger sizes O oO

I said this in a similar thread and i'll say the same thing, i'd still prefer to have the came card, but this is cool

Yup, but you'll need an SD card for the digital copy.

This game will probably be around 2 - 4 GBs so people will need to buy SD cards with bigger sizes O oO

Okay...that's good. ^^;;

I was hoping it wasn't just downloadable because I prefer to buy the game card.

I prefer having the game, and the box, and the instructions. and I normally buy all my games from Gamestop, so I get the reward points too. lol

I prefer having the game, and the box, and the instructions. and I normally buy all my games from Gamestop, so I get the reward points too. lol

this,
except gamestop overprices everything :\

Im still gust going to buy the game card from some where llike gamestop
But this is cool but the game is probably like 4gb so that means you would probably need to buy anouther sd wich means you will need to pay like anouther 5-10 dollers so if you play thegamee on the game card you will save like 5-10 dollers
(im gust assumeing that the digital copy is the same price)

What if you already preordered a hardcopy of the game?

Or, it's possible that they will give you a download code for the game. I really wouldn't want Animal Crossing to become digital. It wouldn't seem like a full-fledged game to me.

Or, it's possible that they will give you a download code for the game. I really wouldn't want Animal Crossing to become digital. It wouldn't seem like a full-fledged game to me.

I doubt it. But if you do download it, it would be the full game, just it would be accessible whenever you wanted to play it.

I'd rather have a card. I just use my SD card for eShop stuff, and all the basic 3DS stuff. No need to stuff my games onto it. Plus, owning the box makes it all worth while when you look at it years later. :)

My GameStop has everything priced about the same as WallyWorld (Walmart). Maybe they only overprice in Australia?

Maybe's you're lucky

I can just get stuff for like 20-50% cheaper if i dont shop at GameStop.

It's not they over price, they just leave it as the RRP. Where other shops i go to sell it for less.

I hit game stops all over my run, and there all the same. They run the same prices as wal and target.
If it was more expensive, you just had to walk a few yards and BAM! Somewhere elce that sales games

Back