Animal Crossing series timeline, IMO

M_Rat

Bells
Firstly, if you wish to discuss your own interpretations of events, you are more than welcome. This is just my opinion on the timeline given what we are told in the various games (most of my information comes from the wiki). So, let me show you what I believe, and why:

To start, let's talk about the original game, Animal Crossing and all it's versions. As these versions are all near enough identical, I treat them all as the same. However, I believe they are an alternate timeline. This is because, Wild World and the original have so much in common, they might as well be the same game, so I think Wild World was a reboot of the original. It also has more lore which helps it fit into the normal timeline, though this lore may shock you with what I think it reveals.

You see, while Wild World might be the first released of the later titles, it's lore, and that of City Folk, suggest City Folk is, in fact, a prequel to Wild World. Let me explain. In Wild World, we find out about the tragedy of Tom Nook and how he fell from grace in the City, from both himself, and the Able sisters. Redd and Lyle also seem to be working together to scam the town, as why would Lyle sell forgery insurance at the same time as Redd sells said forgeries, unless they were working together (or a MASSIVE coincidence).

However, in City Folk, we hear none of this, and there is no reference to Lyle and Redd previously working together (like we get for Redd and Nook in Wild World). Yes, Lyle talks about a previous job, but that could be anything. The only real story we get is of Labelle and her relation to the Able sisters. And, wouldn't you know, we hear nothing of this sister in Wild World, and you'd think the falling out would still have an impact, like how Nook's downfall affects the Able sisters. It's almost as if those wounds were healed.

Skip ahead to New Leaf, and Tom Nook has become successful enough to have Nook Homes, and his boys run a version of his old shop. Lyle has also progressed, working for Nook. Redd is well, stil Redd, but alone now. Tortimer is also gone. This pretty much suggests this is a sequel.

New Horizons is well, pretty much the same boat. Tom has become even more successful, and bought an island, which he sells package deals to and recruits people to help, with more coming the bigger the Island gets. Isabelle comes from the New Leaf town because the Mayor has everything under control, I presume. Tortimer still being around in NH doesn't make much sense. Also Blathers arrives which means the previous Museum must not need him.

So, with this information, I think the timeline would be something like this:
- The original and it's versions are an alternate timeline, and there isn't much more to say.
- City Folk. Tom becomes successful, and hears about the big city from the player, and wants to move there to try out the city life. Labelle and her sisters fix their bridges thanks to the Player. Tom meets up with Redd in the city, and they team up till they fall out, and Tom goes broke. But not before Tom tells Redd about his home town.
- Wild World. Tom returns, and vows to get back on top, which he does. Redd teams up with Lyle to scam Tom's town. Labelle stays in touch with her sisters, but nothing more really happens.
- New Leaf. Tortimer retires. Tom sets up on main street with his new money. Hires Lyle after he finds Redd is back, to save Lyle from the same fate as him (Tom). Tom runs the homes, while his nephews, Timmy and Tommy, are allowed to run their own store to hopefully become successful like Nook. Labelle is brought in by her sisters to help run the bigger better Able Sisters on Main Street. Isabelle is in charge of this new Main Street project, but while the business owners seem to have everything sorted, she can't seem to manage making it work, and Tortimer finds out and hires someone else to do the work. The player comes in and brings to life the Main Street project.
- New Horizons. With the towns success, Tom has enough money to buy an Island and make the deserted island getaway package. Slowly, he brings in more people to help, with the Player doing most of the heavy lifting. The original town thrives under the current Mayor, allowing people the freedom to move to the Island, with the Mayor most likely bringing in new people to take their place. Presumably, Labelle runs Able sisters by herself with her sisters gone, for example.

And that's what I have roughly at this current time. Thoughts? (and yes, I know it's a wall of text)

Nice deductions! Pulling all of this information is pretty neat. But...

However, in City Folk, we hear none of this

I actually heard a bit about Tom Nook's backstory from both the Sable and villagers walking outside of Nook's store in City Folk. I never knew about Tom Nook's backstory until I played CF for a while!

Last edited:
Nice deductions! Pulling all of this information is pretty neat. But...

I actually heard a bit about Tom Nook's backstory from both the Sable and villagers walking outside of Nook's store in City Folk. I never knew about Tom Nook's backstory until I played CF for a while!

As I said, I may have some information wrong. The main thing is I wanted a timeline that made sense, since why would every game before New Leaf reset Nook's Cranny? That's why I looked at the original AC could be an alternate timeline (noting similarities to WW), and City Folk could be a prequel (character backstories, plus characters like Frillard we never see again). How else could Nook's Cranny reset the way it does?

Back