• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Anyone else think NL is far too 'friendly' sometimes?

This thread made me dug up my old game. I hadn't switched it on for years, and looked long and hard for the charger.

My only memory was the post office lady who was very rude, hated her.

So, I got Resetti, and OMG he freaked out on me. Now I'm a grown adult and I hated his speech. Then he made me apologise and I had to type several things (with the stupid little letters...grrrr) it seemed I never got it right and he made me do it over and over again, like 20 times or more. It went like this:

I love to save
It's my fault
I'm very sorry
I'm dumb
I'm a loser
I need help..

I kid you not, imagine a depressed teenager, let alone a little kid!!!

I've given and I don't care to play WW again even though at first I was excited at the thought of seeing my old character and town.

New Leaf is very friendly, I agree, and I'd like it to be a little harsher. I'm not talking WW Resetti or Phyllis harsh but maybe the Snooties have a little more sass and the Crankies have a little more anger under their belt. I don't know, it just seems a little artificial at times.

Well I got it to start, and Goldie walked up to me. I like her and I've had her for a year in NL too (she was one of my originals).

She asked me if the item she found was mine, I said yes (the other options were a bit odd). The she said I was a liar as the owner's name was on the item and that she will not speak to me ever again. That's would definitely not be her dialogue in NL. Geez!!!

It's for kids. You have to expect this kind of thing when you consider the game's purpose.

It's the same concept as the limitation that cartoons have on terms of appealing to adults. I happen to like that they have maintained the friendliness, seeing as it shows it still puts its target audience first.

I also happened to be intimidated by some of the things villagers said in the first game, so I favor this.

It's a kids game, I have no problem with it not constantly insulting me.

Even though the grumpy villagers do still get very mean from time to time.

Its based off of friendship.. heck you even get a boost in the HHA if you have one of your villager's pictures in your house.... friendship is magic :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's a kids game, I have no problem with it not constantly insulting me.

Even though the grumpy villagers do still get very mean from time to time.

yeah, i do agree... i love my fang but one time he was like "If you get a bad cold dont come crying to me"

- - - Post Merge - - -

This thread made me dug up my old game. I hadn't switched it on for years, and looked long and hard for the charger.

My only memory was the post office lady who was very rude, hated her.

So, I got Resetti, and OMG he freaked out on me. Now I'm a grown adult and I hated his speech. Then he made me apologise and I had to type several things (with the stupid little letters...grrrr) it seemed I never got it right and he made me do it over and over again, like 20 times or more. It went like this:

I love to save
It's my fault
I'm very sorry
I'm dumb
I'm a loser
I need help..

I kid you not, imagine a depressed teenager, let alone a little kid!!!

I've given and I don't care to play WW again even though at first I was excited at the thought of seeing my old character and town.

dang, i barely remember Resetti in CF... i never played WW but dang it seems tough :( i play AC to help calm down from my stressful days at school (same with tomo) and that Resetti thing seems terrible and not calming at all. and i always remember to save because i have been trained ever since i played Pokemon (and CF) to save my progress (because who would want to loose a precious pokemon or get an annoying lecture from Resetti?!)

Last edited:
This inspired me to start up my Wild World game again: so many weeds :(

But I agree. I miss the personalities of the earlier games, and I miss having to work up your way to a good friendship. When your grumpy neighbor finally started to warm up to you and speak to you nicer.

I definitely think it got more friendly from its previous games. In Wild World, Resetti was hilarious and Phyllis was so sassy and sarcastic. I truly miss it to be honest. I could guess that parents complained in order for them to make the game less "mean" but to me, that kinda killed those two characters.

Oh I agree. I HATED Queenie and Jane in the Gamecube version because snooties were mean, and when I was younger it turned me off from wanting to be their friends. I'd hit them with nets and push them into pitfalls. I'd also involve them in my AC diary stories in my house and they were the villains. I will say, though, that I remember my crankies like Gaston were rude, but yet they got friendlier and it felt great! As much as I love my New Leaf snooty and cranky (Blanche and Fang) I have not had either get mad at me once. I like the abuse :(

i have to say i really do miss the crankies and snooties insulting me. made me laugh so hard. i honestly don't understand why people complained, it's not like phylis or resetti were hurling racist slurs at us o__O

What do you expect? This game is targeted towards the kids though there are adults playing as well, and I actually like the nice grumpy.

Back