Anyone see the trailer for the minecraft movie?

Flower-Loving Punk

In Debt to a Tanuki
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Yellow Candy
Red Rose
Title.

I feel lucky often that the Animal Crossing movie was made long enough ago that it was fully 2D animated and released exclusively for Japan so while it was a corporate money-suck it wasn't a truly terrible one. 2D animation anyway has such a soulful feeling to it, that 3D hasn't been able to hit just yet. Just the everything about this genre of video game movie is awful, in my opinion.

I understand the hero's journey is the center to storytelling but I feel this modern spin to it is cheap and overdone. I think the Mario movie that came out recently is the only good way to do it; in that Mario is the hero, and not a group of ragtag teenagers we've never heard of in the medium before.

I think if Steve the sole main character, it would be more interesting. As it stands, it just feels like a bad new jumanji rip-off with 2014 Minecraft in Real Life texture packs thrown on top.

Any other thoughts? Anyone think otherwise? I wanna hear it!

OMG WAIT ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW? I didn’t even know they made a trailer already??? I have to watch that trailer later. That sounds so hype and hopefully it actually is hype.

Edit: oh yeah, I forgot to actually respond to what you said LMAO 😅

Anyway, I don’t hate 3D animated video game films. I don’t think a Minecraft movie is necessarily a bad idea but I’m also not sure how they would go about it. So now I’m curious to learn how they would.

Last edited:
Oh. I saw that cuboidal pig in another post somewhere here and I thought it was a joke 🤣

It looks so ugly. Plus, it doesn't look like they asked Mojang for consultation or researched about Minecraft at all.

Also, the reason why Mario Movie looked so good is because Nintendo themselves oversees the project that illumination worked on. And the reasoning behind Sonic's design change and the success that comes right after is because the negative reception hit them financially.
FNAF movie became successful because they give fans what they want (probably saw the huge success after Mario Movie, same studio that owns illumination btw).

Same thing goes for detective Pikachu, the Pokémon company probably oversees the project too.

You could thank the 1993 Mario Movie for making Nintendo watch closely over the process of making a movie based on their game series.

Okay, now I have watched it and it looks…weird. Everything looks cursed. Who approved of that sheep design lol. They should have made the entire thing 3D because being part live action and part animated just doesn’t fit at all.

i saw it and it looks even worse than i expected lol. i remember when we first saw leaked designs for the sheep, and i didn't think it would look good after that. it absolutely should've been an animated film, i'm not sure why they went this route. it's technically animated as is, since it's almost all cgi, so i don't know why they didn't just do 2d animation that suits the game's style/world better. also have to say i really don't care for jack black as steve. it's literally just jack black with a blue shirt on. even jason momoa would've been a better fit because he at least looks Slightly more like the in-game character.

Never heard of such a thing until today. From what I'm seeing from the other users above me and the still frames of reaction videos on YouTube, I'm a bit terrified to see exactly how this will be successful, especially if Mojang/Microsoft/whoever has no involvement. Also, I can't help but uncomfortably laugh when I saw a few of the top articles when I did a Google search:

minesheep steve.PNG

...that's pretty horrifying. Warner better not pull a Sony and let this be released as-is.

I didn’t know they were making a Minecraft movie until now. I’m not really a fan of the game, so I’ll sit it out, but hopefully (like the Mario movie) it gives the game justice.

I'm not a fan of the movie OR game, so it doesn't really affect me, but dang did they mess that up. :sick:

Should’ve mentioned this in my first post, but I sort of realized that we didn’t really need a movie. Minecraft already has something where a plot is followed (Minecraft Story Mode and the ended-too-soon Telltale series), and I heard those were actually fairly good. The fact that this movie is unrelated to those games is a missed opportunity if you ask me, and apparently this relies more on straight-up humor compared to the somewhat more serious tone in the games, and yes, the trailer clearly reveals how “uncanny valley” the characters look.

Like what others already mentioned, a few of the other studios actually attempted to not totally screw up their video game films. Paramount for example completely redid Sonic’s design after everyone on the internet complained about his uncanny physical appearance on the very first trailer, and the live action series has had a good following and expansion since mainly due to Carey being perfectly cast as Eggman. Miyamoto and Nintendo had lots of involvement with Illumination’s Super Mario Bros. Movie to keep it accurate to the games, and they got it right for the most part, though the story honestly could’ve been better. I feel as if this Minecraft movie will become an Emoji Movie scenario; lots of people will go see it simply to find out how bad it looks judging from trailers alone.

I saw a picture of the sheep, and yeah no I'm not watching this lol. The one good design for animals was the llama. That thing looks identical to the in game model. The Piglins look... fine, but I do NOT wanna see realistic Minecraft villagers.

The movie looks terrible. They tried way too hard to make it "photo realistic" and as a result the animals look really weird. The only joke that landed was the one Jack Black did and even then it was just because of the delivery. Like others have said, it should've been a fully animated movie instead of going the Jumanji route. I think Jack Black's performance will be the only good thing about the movie and the rest will just be "so bad it's good." I imagine movie critic youtubers are going to have a field day with it.

i'm sure that there are actual children who are actually really excited for this (my friend's younger brothers are already begging her to take them to go watch it when it comes out in theatres. it was honestly very very adorable haha). i'm not the target demographic age nor am i a big minecraft fan anymore. point is, i wasn't going in to the theatres to watch this either way.

..with that said, i think it looks really ugly 😭 somebody said it looks like those "this is what minecraft will look like if they were real life 😲😲😲" videos from 2014-2015 and i wholeheartedly agree! it should have been entirely 3D animated, like the mario movie! perhaps it's actually really decent and i'm judging too quickly based off of the trailer and animation and maybe it'll actually be a box office hit and actually really really good but as of right now, it seems terrible to me lol

Back