• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

April 2024: Nintendo will shut down online play and online communication for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.

I’m going to be playing Splatoon 1 as one last hurrah today. Not having online will affect a lot of games but Splatoon 1 will basically be a shell of its former self as the online modes are the core gameplay.

Not that I’ve been playing Splatoon 1 a lot over these last few years. I’ve only dabbled here and there in it and only gained a level or two after the final Splatfest but it still makes me sad. I still have fun when once in a blue moon I feel like jumping on. Today however will be the last time… 😭

It'll be super bittersweet to not be able to Wonder Trade in ORAS anymore. I used to do that for hours! I know you can do that in the newer Pokemon games which is nice at least.
RIP to wonderlockes in gen 6-7.

Today’s the last day. I thought I’d get in a few MK8 (Wii U) matches in before closure.

RIP to wonderlockes in gen 6-7.

Today’s the last day. I thought I’d get in a few MK8 (Wii U) matches in before closure.
In that case, I will do several Wonder Trades for all my Pokémon games until the closure to see if I get any more completion of the ‘dex in any (minus Sun, whose ‘dex I already completed years ago). After that, I will have to rely on local/offline play to complete anything and/or a second 3DS.

I'd like to see a photo of the error that appears when you try to play online after the shutdown. Just so I can miss it more... (I'd show it myself but I don't have a 3DS)

Reactions: Doo
My internet is still fine, i am playing online in ACNL, but MK7 seems to be experiencing errors.
Post automatically merged:

All games are reportedly getting errors... apart from ACNL?

Last edited:
ANOTHER update: most ACNL online servers started going down at 1:10 BST. i got an error at 1:29 BST. as of now, (1:35 BST) the majority of games are offline apart from a minority. 95% of ACNLs online servers are down. it will not let me open my gates, and i recieve an error (error code 006-0811) that says it is undergoing maintenance. some other people are receiving a different error simply stating that the service has been discontinued. for what its worth, my 3DS has internet connection, and the friends list works perfectly fine. all of the people stated previously online are still remain that way on my friend list at this time.

ANOTHER update: most ACNL online servers started going down at 1:10 BST. i got an error at 1:29 BST. as of now, (1:35 BST) the majority of games are offline apart from a minority. 95% of ACNLs online servers are down. it will not let me open my gates, and i recieve an error (error code 006-0811) that says it is undergoing maintenance. some other people are receiving a different error simply stating that the service has been discontinued. for what its worth, my 3DS has internet connection, and the friends list works perfectly fine. all of the people stated previously online are still stated as online on my friend list at this time.
the island i was on went off around 1:30 BST, although my 3DS itself is still apparently connected to the internet. it's weird, i was expecting a resetti screen and an error message, but it actually booted me to the homescreen, closed the game and restarted the entire system. i was so surprised i forgot to read the error pop-up lmao.

the island i was on went off around 1:30 BST, although my 3DS itself is still apparently connected to the internet. it's weird, i was expecting a resetti screen and an error message, but it actually booted me to the homescreen, closed the game and restarted the entire system. i was so surprised i forgot to read the error pop-up lmao.
ah, thats very strange. i did not get a unique error pop-up. i was touring on my local island with some friends who had visited my town. we did not get kicked out until the loading screen after the tour had finished. i am inclined to belive that something of that nature (e.g. player leaving, player arriving, pretty much anything that requires saving data while using the internet) is what causes the error, and after that, the inability to come back online. most of the ACNL players that claim to not be kicked out just seem to be standing around and not doing much. but if it closed the game and restarted the system for you, that seems like your game crashed. even if the servers were overloaded, that seems most unusual.
Post automatically merged:

I'm still wonder trading perfectly fine in both x and ultra moon over here
I meant to do some wonder trading before the servers shut down but i seem to have misplaced my copies of Y and Ultra Sun. by the time i had realised it was unfortunately too late. are the servers still up? it seems a lot of people are reporting that they aren't able to trade/battle in X and Y now.

Last edited:
ah, thats very strange. i did not get a unique error pop-up. i was touring on my local island with some friends who had visited my town. we did not get kicked out until the loading screen after the tour had finished. i am inclined to belive that something of that nature (e.g. player leaving, player arriving, pretty much anything that requires saving data while using the internet) is what causes the error, and after that, the inability to come back online. most of the ACNL players that claim to not be kicked out just seem to be standing around and not doing much. but if it closed the game and restarted the system for you, that seems like your game crashed. even if the servers were overloaded, that seems most unusual.
we weren't do anything, strangely, just four of us standing there in the island lobby waiting for the end lol. then the screen suddenly froze, and all the characters eyes went wide like they do with the shock react and then i was booted to my home screen etc. was very strange ahdjskskf but obviously the game saves before you go to the island, so nothing was lost.

we weren't do anything, strangely, just four of us standing there in the island lobby waiting for the end lol. then the screen suddenly froze, and all the characters eyes went wide like they do with the shock react and then i was booted to my home screen etc. was very strange ahdjskskf but obviously the game saves before you go to the island, so nothing was lost.
The fact that you’ve said the characters eyes went wide makes me think it might be some kind of hack, perhaps as a prank? Weird though

we weren't do anything, strangely, just four of us standing there in the island lobby waiting for the end lol. then the screen suddenly froze, and all the characters eyes went wide like they do with the shock react and then i was booted to my home screen etc.

that's a perfect base for a video game creepypasta, if I ever heard one

this makes me belive that it was intentional, caused by a hacker. im assuming nothing bad happened after this, though. i know someone who got their town corrupt because a hacker was messing with something on the island and it caused their game to freeze up and sent them back to the homescreen. after this, they booted up their game and the save was corrupt.

this makes me belive that it was intentional, caused by a hacker. im assuming nothing bad happened after this, though. i know someone who got their town corrupt because a hacker was messing with something on the island and it caused their game to freeze up and sent them back to the homescreen. after this, they booted up their game and the save was corrupt.
i'm not sure if it was a hacker? we were all there for a while, nobody did anything or even seemed like a hacker, and if one of them was one, it was definitely a long con to sit there for twenty minutes with us and very coincidental that it happened when most of NL online seemed to go down. i was actually on an island earlier with two hackers, and when that island crashed, it was just the normal resetti screen and i was sent back to town. that said, i dont know much about hackers/hacking, so i suppose it's always a possibility. regardless, my town booted up just fine afterwards, so there's that at least ajdkskak.

that's a perfect base for a video game creepypasta, if I ever heard one
it was a little creepy because they seemed self-aware lol. i tried to take a screenshot, but it unsurprisingly didn't work since the screen was frozen 😅

well the server finally croaked. friendlist is still online tho strangely enough.

Back