• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Basement Dwellers

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFCF1AA9-4E5A-4ACB-AAB9-A5FD0C0CAC02.jpeg

My friend is an idiot

I don't speak complicated English
TRANSLATER!
Homo sapiens is the scientific name for human beings. In the field of taxonomy, every biological organism belongs to a scientific classification based on shared characteristics. The image below shows (the simplest version of) the taxonomic ranks.

Taxonomy.png

Domain is the broadest, with every biological organism on earth fitting into one of three domains: archaea, bacteria, or eukaryota. Humans fall under eukaryota because we have eukaryotic cells: this means that our cells have a membrane-encased nucleus. The nucleus is the part of the cell that contains all of our genetic information. (Almost) every organism that falls under the eukaroyta domain would then be divided again into one of three kingdoms: animalia, fungi, and plantae. Humans have animal cells - we know this because we don't have chloroplasts (present in plant cells) or chitin (present in fungi cells). It is actually a bit more complicated than that, but let's not get into that.

I won't explain each of these (and especially not the nuances once we diverge into suborders and subfamilies) but the scientific classification for humans looks like this:

Table 1: Taxonomic Rank of Humans.
ClassificationHuman
DomainEukaryota
KingdomAnimalia
PhylumChordata
ClassMammalia
OrderPrimates
FamilyHominidae
GenusHomo
SpeciesH. sapiens

To use another example, you know how we often refers to cats as felines? This is because the scientific species name for the domestic house cat is Faelis catus, that belongs to the Felinae sub-family of the Felidae family. Other animals that we refer to as big cats, such as lions (Panthera leo) and tigers (Panthera tigris), fall under similar classifications to house cats. These two animals share a genus (Panthera), however they also belong to the Felidae family just like cats! If you are then to compare this to Table 1 above you'll also see that cats, lions, and tigers belong to the same class (mammalia) as humans too.

Table 2: Taxonomic Rank of Cats, Lions, and Tigers.
ClassificationCatLionTiger
DomainEukaryoteEukaryoteEukaryote
KingdomAnimaliaAnimaliaAnimalia
PhylumChordataChordataChordata
ClassMammaliaMammaliaMammalia
OrderCarnivoraCarnivoraCarnivora
FamilyFelidaeFelidaeFelidae
GenusFaelisPantheraPanthera
SpeciesF. catusP. leoP. tigris

TL;DR: In taxonomy, every biological organism on earth is given a classification based on their shared characteristics and their scientific names are derived from this. Homo sapiens is the species name for human beings.

...yes, I am procrastinating from work. I'm supposed to be reading through testing data for A. castellanii right now. That is a parasite belonging to the Acanthamoeba genus. :coffee:

Homo sapiens is the scientific name for human beings. In the field of taxonomy, every biological organism belongs to a scientific classification based on shared characteristics. The image below shows (the simplest version of) the taxonomic ranks.

Domain is the broadest, with every biological organism on earth fitting into one of three domains: archaea, bacteria, or eukaryota. Humans fall under eukaryota because we have eukaryotic cells: this means that our cells have a membrane-encased nucleus. The nucleus is the part of the cell that contains all of our genetic information. (Almost) every organism that falls under the eukaroyta domain would then be divided again into one of three kingdoms: animalia, fungi, and plantae. Humans have animal cells - we know this because we don't have chloroplasts (present in plant cells) or chitin (present in fungi cells). It is actually a bit more complicated than that, but let's not get into that.

I won't explain each of these (and especially not the nuances once we diverge into suborders and subfamilies) but the scientific classification for humans looks like this:

Table 1: Taxonomic Rank of Humans.
ClassificationHuman
DomainEukaryota
KingdomAnimalia
PhylumChordata
ClassMammalia
OrderPrimates
FamilyHominidae
GenusHomo
SpeciesH. sapiens

To use another example, you know how we often refers to cats as felines? This is because the scientific species name for the domestic house cat is Faelis catus, that belongs to the Felinae sub-family of the Felidae family. Other animals that we refer to as big cats, such as lions (Panthera leo) and tigers (Panthera tigris), fall under similar classifications to house cats. These two animals share a genus (Panthera), however they also belong to the Felidae family just like cats! If you are then to compare this to Table 1 above you'll also see that cats, lions, and tigers belong to the same class (mammalia) as humans too.

Table 2: Taxonomic Rank of Cats, Lions, and Tigers.
ClassificationCatLionTiger
DomainEukaryoteEukaryoteEukaryote
KingdomAnimaliaAnimaliaAnimalia
PhylumChordataChordataChordata
ClassMammaliaMammaliaMammalia
OrderCarnivoraCarnivoraCarnivora
FamilyFelidaeFelidaeFelidae
GenusFaelisPantheraPanthera
SpeciesF. catusP. leoP. tigris

TL;DR: In taxonomy, every biological organism on earth is given a classification based on their shared characteristics and their scientific names are derived from this. Homo sapiens is the species name for human beings.

...yes, I am procrastinating from work. I'm supposed to be reading through testing data for A. castellanii right now. That is a parasite belonging to the Acanthamoeba genus. :coffee:
save it for the umbrella corporation you work for

guys!! we are so dry, where's the action? as for me, i got out of school and right after spent just over a week in florida with my family. (we're boarding home soon, our flight is at 4) it was a needed break from not only tbt but just everything in my life and im ready to be active again, anyways everyone have a lovely afternoon :)
Post automatically merged:

also all mods where are the pride collectibles 😡

Last edited:
guys!! we are so dry, where's the action? as for me, i got out of school and right after spent just over a week in florida with my family. (we're boarding home soon, our flight is at 4) it was a needed break from not only tbt but just everything in my life and im ready to be active again, anyways everyone have a lovely afternoon :)
Post automatically merged:

also all mods where are the pride collectibles 😡
There is no action because
tenor (7).gif

It's the basement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back