Apple (Fruit)
Tasty Cake
Purple Violet
Sweet Balloon
Purple Bunny Balloon
Orange Balloon
Blue Balloon
Yellow Balloon
Hi! This is about books and reading, so bear with me and read on!

I love reading, and I was thinking that, personally, I would enjoy finding readers out there who enjoy similar genres as me, and possibly connect by suggesting books to one another as we discover them. I have found that some of the best books and series I have read are suggested to me by others. I also stumble upon a great series from time to time that may not be well known, but are very worth reading! There are so many great authors out there that just need word of mouth to get recognized.

My idea for this thread is to be an open discussion about book recommendations for specific genres, and also making friends that can relate to your particular tastes and possibly take the conversations to private group discussions about entertaining books of similar interests.

I am probably dreaming here but I hope people can connect on a literary level and form their own discussions.

As far as the poll, there are 100 or so genres/sub genres to choose from, so I did my best to include the basic categories.

I will give some book suggestions based on my favorite genres (hint, fantasy and sci-fi, a bit of mystery, and historical) but I want to see if this gets any response, or belly flops into thread obscurity.

I read sci-fi, biographies, comics, and now fantasy! I’ll give one recommendation for each except comics since I’d just be recommending a manga instead.

For sci-fi I recommend The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin. It’s short, sweet, surreal, and well written. If long series scare you off from this genre often I recommend it.

For fantasy I suggest The Unbalancing by R.B. Lemberg. It has poetic writing and well thought out queer and neurodivergent characters. The book was a pleasant surprise when I tried it with no knowledge from a local bookstore.

For biographies I recommend The Color of Water by James McBride. It feels insightful on life in the 1950s and 1960s and what it was like to grow up during that time.

I love to read and will read just about any type of fiction plus the occasional biography or non-fiction if the subject interests me enough.

My favorite genres are:

- Classic Literature
- Historical Fiction
- Drama
- Fantasy
- Poetry
- Comics
- Mystery

I'll give a few recommendations.

For fantasy, one of my favorite series beyond Lord of the Rings is Forgotten Realms: The Legend of Drizzt by R.A. Salvatore. The world and lore are deep, the characters are well-developed with lasting growth and change, and the story balances action and character development.

My favorite comic series is Kabuki by David Mack. It's essentially a character study of the title character, an assassin trained since childhood to keep the balance between government and organized crime. The early issues focus more on action and missions, but it becomes progressively more and more about what is going on inside Kabuki's mind and who she is or could be if she left this life behind and became her own person. The artwork changes with the story as well. The early action-focused issues are stark black and white while the later issues delving into her thoughts and emotions are done in stylized watercolor and collages. Symbolism is very prevalent throughout the series.

For fantasy, one of my favorite series beyond Lord of the Rings is Forgotten Realms: The Legend of Drizzt by R.A. Salvatore. The world and lore are deep, the characters are well-developed with lasting growth and change, and the story balances action and character development.
Yes! I can confirm this series is great! I have since wanted a panther I can summon at anytime 😊

The character names are hard to pronounce though. I heard he let's his cat walk on the keyboard for new character names, but that may not be true! It would certainly make sense though! 😄

Great series, for sure
Post automatically merged:

For sci-fi I recommend The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin. It’s short, sweet, surreal, and well written. If long series scare you off from this genre often I recommend it.
Adding this to my list to read, thank you for the recommendation!

Last edited:
Back