• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Class of 2020 (high school)

maple22

a huh huh huh
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
How many users here have graduated from high school (or whatever your country's equivalent is) as part of the class of 2020? This is such a uniquely odd year to have graduated in. I actually know some seniors who wouldn't have graduated on time, but due to the coronavirus, they've managed to graduate despite lacking certain requirements. And my younger brother will be graduating next year, so I hope that it goes well for him.
I didn't walk or participate in any ceremony, but I've officially graduated. Got a yard sign and everything! I finished all my graduation requirements a couple of months ago. All I need to do is go back to the school on the 22nd to receive my diploma, and then get back to work on my college classes.
For any TBT users who graduated this year (or know someone who did), how did it go?

I’m in the class of 2021 and my boyfriend was in the class of 2019, so we consider ourselves pretty lucky. I’m sorry that you couldn’t have a proper ceremony after all your hard work.

A few of my friends graduated this year. In May, each person in the class had an individual appointment to pick up a bag of gifts, put on robes and cords for pictures, and receive a social distance-friendly blessing from the school priest (because I go to Catholic school). The graduation ceremony itself is supposedly happening tomorrow but I think it will be shorter and with fewer people/contact.

Graduation was digital by pre-recorded video. It was a really weird experience but im happy I still got to have it in some form. It was upsetting at first- I was upset about graduating and walking and prom things that I usually wouldn't be interested in, and then none of it got to happen. But- the alternatives chosen were satisfying and kinda sweet and I really appreciate it.

I've started college immediately afterward and yeesh is it nerve wracking. Hopefully all goes well I'm just really nervous I'll somehow screw something up.

i'm also class of 2020! we don't really wear robes here or anything, but we would normally have a sort of celebration after the final exam results are handed out on diplomas. the celebration is actually taking place even during these current situations, but that's because my country has almost completely recovered from covid (let me not jinx it lol).
even so, i'm not going to that graduation because i don't really like school gatherings and it's not obligatory... high school always seems like such a monumental part of somebodies life in american movies, but it's worth next to nothing here lol. i didn't even feel shocked that i'm not in school anymore. its not like it's gonna be like that forever, since i have to attend college in october

I've finished all of my college courses for my program. So far, it's been planned that the graduation ceremony will take place in late October which I hope will go through. It really sucks having to skip out the celebration because completing your education is like a huge milestone, especially when you fought very hard to the bitter end.

i'm from the uk so at my high school equivalent (sixth form college), there is no graduation anyway! had corona not happened i'd have sat my exams and finished them a few days ago, and that would've been it, aside from a prom-like event that not many people would have gone to anyway since the real prom was a couple of years ago at the end of secondary school. even so, it was weird just not showing up to school one day, but it's made me realise how impersonal the uk system is since my school was just kind of like... well you have no exams so guess this is it, c'est la vie!
here we apply to unis with predicted grades and a personal statement, our offers are made based on that information, and you have to meet your university's exam grade requirements to get in. so now without exams, they're using the grades we got in mock exams and previous assessments combined with a ranking system that no one understands (ordering people in each class based on what grade they would have achieved), and standardising it to what proportion of grades your institution usually gets to avoid an odd number of people doing oddly well/bad, to calculate our final grades. i think this will really benefit people who already get good grades, but is a bad system for people who didn't try very hard in prior work since it wouldn't have contributed to anything and were waiting for the final exams to cram and prove themselves and now won't get the chance.

I actually graduated HS in 2017, but in college I'm in the class of 2021 and I knew some people who graduated this year. There hasn't been an actual ceremony for them, the school hasn't yet defined how that's gonna work out (I'm assuming they're gonna try to have all the seniors come back at the beginning of the fall semester if possible). They have had virtual calls, conferences and videos made especially for them. I couldn't imagine trying to graduate from HS/College rn, such a crazy time to be a student.

I feel lucky that I'll be graduating next year, hopefully by then all this mess is sorted out.
Post automatically merged:

It really sucks having to skip out the celebration because completing your education is like a huge milestone, especially when you fought very hard to the bitter end.
Right, imagine working so hard for your degree and the best that the school can do is mail you your diploma and send a warm thank you through e/mail.

I'm the class of 2021 so I graduate next year, however my senior friends actually got diplomas today and cords handed out but we are actually having a graduation ceremony but lots of social distancing involved from what I've heard.

I graduated high school just last week! In order to have a private ceremony we had to make 10 minute appointments in advance. During the short ceremony, I walked in my graduation gown up to a stage, took my diploma from the superintendent and gave a socially distanced elbow bump to the principal. Since my grandparents were afraid of catching the virus, my moms were the only people who accompanied me.

Even though it was short, I’m glad I could have a small ceremony. Many seniors this year didn’t have that opportunity and I’m eternally grateful for it.

Back