• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Daylight Savings

Alolan_Apples

Old > New
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
So once again, the clock switches an hour. Like every fall, it goes back. And this is the 12th clock switch to occur in the month of November, in the United States.

The good news is that we get an extra hour, an extra hour of sleep that is. On the second Sunday of March, we lose an hour, which woukd either make us more sleep-deprived or we wake up later. So it’s bad either way when we spring ahead, but when we fall back, we get an extra hour.

The bad news is that the night, which is already beginning earlier, starts even earlier. If you live in a place where the Sun is up as late as 9:00 PM (8:00 PM on Standard Time) in June (even if the sunset just ended), I guarantee you won’t see any light in the sky at 5:00 PM (6:00 PM on Daylight Time) as soon as the clock switches back. Every year, the Earth tilts back after Summer Solstice. Days get shorter as nights get longer. This can be observed by seeing sunrises happening later and sunsets happening earlier. It’s not a big deal around the solstice, but once the equinox gets closer, you’ll notice it better. So nights are already beginning earlier no matter what you do with the clock. And by turning it back, you make it even worse. At least the sunrise can begin earlier after it continues to begin later, but the night hours have came in earlier. As much as it sucks to lose an hour of sleep when DST begins, we at least get to see later sunsets, but this is the time of the year we see the opposite.

Whether or not we spring ahead (2:00 to 3:00) or fall back (2:00 to 1:00), there’s a biggest loser of the two. That is the fact that we have to switch the clock. In this time and age, we follow a particular time. If we’re used to it, any meddling of the clock will screw everything up. We can gradually adapt to slow changes in environment, but a sudden change like Daylight Savings hurts everyone. Our internal clocks can’t be changed too easily. It first messes us up, but we eventually get used to it. And once we have to switch again, it messes us up once more. The crazy thing is that we have to do this twice a year. I suggest that it’s time we have to stick to one time zone a year.

Of course, sticking with one time zone all year isn’t any better. If we choose permanent Standard Time, the extra hour in the morning in the summer will be wasted. At 5:00 AM, almost nobody is awake. During the summer, the daylight hours can extend to that time. Also, use of Daylight Savings time has economic benefits.

Here is a picture of how sleep is linked to DST:

600px-SpringFwd-FallBack.png

On the other hand, permanent Daylight Time isn’t good either, especially in the northern latitudes. While it provides benefits in the summer, you would not benefit in the winter. Instead, it would do harm to those more active in the morning. On Daylight Savings Time, the sun would rise at 8:00 AM or even 9:00 AM, which is a very late start for a sunrise. As for the night hours, it wouldn’t matter if we switch back or not, nights are going to begin earlier.

The fact that the idea exists is why it’s troubling no matter what solution we follow. Would you rather waste morning hours, have the sun go up late in the morning, or play with the clock twice a year and screw up your body clock? And if you choose the last option, you’ll have a time where you lose an hour of sleep and a time where nights suddenly begin earlier. Truthfully, adding or subtracting an hour does not add or take away time. It shifts time to another position.

An interesting fact is that we have been doing it since World War I. Although it has been introduced to America quite a while, it wasn’t until 1966 when the Uniform Time Act was passed, and that forced every state to follow it. In 1976 to 2006, it began on the first Sunday of April and ended on the last Sunday of October. Finally, in 2007, Daylight Savings Time begins on the second Sunday of March and ends on the first Sunday of November. Since then, we’ve been using this schedule, and it’s unlikely that it’s going to change.

The first time it began in March was on March 11th, 2007. Its first time it ended in November was on November 4th, 2007. Just like this year. In 2009, we saw its earliest possible date it could began on for the first time, and in 2010, we saw its latest possible date it could end on for the first time. As of 2017, it began on every date in the second week of March at least once and ended on every date in the first week of November at least once. If we continue to follow this, 2032 will be the first year a presidential election occurs during Daylight Savings Time.

Another interesting fact is that prior to 2007, Easter has happened during Standard Time a couple of times, but after the Energy Policy Act of 2005 passed, it’s no longer possible for Easter or even Palm Sunday to occur during Standard Time, as well as Halloween.

Of course, while we have to continue dealing with the clock switches twice a year, every year, there are some mainstays we have been used to it that if we have to even alter it, we’ll completely screw stuff up. Examples include placement of the Prime Meridian, the calendar we follow (Gregorian), and how we define our directions.

Now if I had to choose what I prefer more, I have to admit that I like Daylight Savings Time over Standard Time, and staying to one time all year more than switching times. It could delay the time Christmas lights would turn on, but like I said before, you cannot fight against the shrinking daylight hours. But you can fight against changing the time.

I didn’t notice Daylight Savings Time until I was 11 when I saw something that I saw that our GameCube was on Mountain Time (when it’s set to Central Time). I noticed it even more in 2005 when I saw that morning is bright again in a time of shrinking daylight. 2006 was my first year I truly saw Daylight Savings Time. Finally, I began paying attention to it in 2007, right when it started to begin in March and end in November.

That’s all I can say. Happy Standard Time Day y’all!

Back