• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Does anyone else refuse to restart, even if you ‘finish’ your island?

I never restarted an ac town, and I'm not gonna do it now either. I love my island and there's always something to do or change.

Also I just finished of cataloging all clothes and furniture, and only need 15 more diys and my lord I don't ever wanna have to do that again 😅

restarting is too much work. if I finish everything I can and want to do, I'd rather just go play other games and/or do other things

Yes, I finished my island a while back and now I'm dedicated to completing my nook mile achievements. I kinda miss decorating and designing my island but I like it too much to change anything major, to make up for this I visit the wonderful dream islands out there.

I can't even fathom what a 'finished island' is, given that we can design and redesign ad infinitum. The only thing that tempts me to restart is to get different river mouth positions (I kind of wish I had two forward facing ones for example), or different airport colours. As it stand i'm good with what I got and the idea of having to fill my catalog again to the level it is rn makes me feel a bit ill lol

Honestly, I've done enough resetting for towns in older AC games that I honestly just gave up after about 7 hours of resetting for airport colour and went with the first remotely good island I saw.

New Leaf took me a good couple of months til I got a town, which led me to just INTENSIVELY time travel and burn through a lot of the game in the space of a month (which is partially why I've also given up time travelling), and as for Wild World?

*horrible flashbacks of endlessly resetting, then having a town for a while and doing it AGAIN*

I've put a good amount of time into this game, and this island I've built up from the ground. It's never going to be complete, but it's always something I can just tweak. I'm not just gonna throw it away out of boredom, because resetting is INFINITELY more boring.

I feel in a very similar way. :) I also view my island as a constant work in progress and I will never erase it to start over, especially with all the means we have to just make room for something else if we want a change. For these reasons, I have no idea when my island will be "finished", I guess it will never be as I make a change or two pretty much every time I discover a new item. My island is just a place for me to go and forget about everyday life, interacting with my villagers or just enjoying the atmosphere.

I may restart eventually, but I decided early on to never try and "finish" my island (unless you mean finish the catalog and collections). I find it keeps me way more motivated to play if I keep changing my island regularly- decorating for seasonal festivals and stuff. Also, I gave up on the idea of "permanent" villagers when I realized I get bored of them. So now I generally do seasonal villagers, letting them move on after a few months or so.

Normally I would have reset AT LEAST once (not counting the reset I did a few days in, when I realized I wanted a different island) by this point, but the fact that I can and have decided that I will keep changing my island has kept me from doing so. It's so nice to have so much more control over your town then previous games!

I restarted so many times on City Folk, it wasn’t even funny. I haven’t restarted at all on New Horizons! It didn’t once cross my mind. I’m too attached to my island and how it is. I currently have all of my dream villagers and a few spots on my island I wouldn’t want to lose, like my ice hockey rink.

I’ve been really into watching ACNH Youtubers lately, and it seems as though it’s custom for everyone to erase their game data and completely restart a new island whenever they finish the previous one, saving previous iterations via the dream addresses. I’m nearly halfway done with my island, but I’ve no plans to simply erase and restart when I am...! Not only does it sound absolutely tedious, but does anyone else just get too attached to their villagers to just leave them like that..? Or to their entire island for that matter. I view my creating my island as me creating a nice space for me to actually play the game. I also view my island as a constant WIP. I’m more than ready to tear down a spot and make room for brewsters, maybe I’ll even flatten half my island and redo it all at some point... but starting from scratch all over again seems like too much, although now I worry I may grow bored if I don’t

There's really no end to AC, so I would say no especially with me and my sister sharing the same island. I bet I'd be the same for Minecraft even if I technically reached "The End", although Minecraft is a little different since I don't need to erase a previous world before going into a new one.

I admit it was hard for me to accept this of simulators in the past, but I think (and hope) I am a lot more lenient now and saving my need to truly 100% finish something for those games with more clear endings like Mario Platformers and RPGs.

My opinion can be summed up with this song, never gonna give you up! Never gonna let you down! never gonna run around and desert you!

Is there an expectation that you have to "refuse" in the first place? I just don't do it.

Keep in mind Youtubers aren't the average player. They do it because they need new content.

I really enjoy restarting AC games once enough time has lapsed or else I grow bored. However, in the past, I have overdone it to the point where I am not motivated to make my town look nice and ended up missing one of my previous ones. With ACNH I have decided to never reset and to simply enjoy eventually having a complete island and maybe change it up a bit every now and then. However tedious that may be...

I restart my island instead of resetting, meaning I just clear out things ive made to make new ones and once I cleared out every thing on my island to start from scratch. I just love my villagers too much and i also cant be bothered to start again with finding all the catalog items, DIYs and bells!

I only restarted for unchangeable aspects that I wasn't aware of when the game launched (beach rocks, peninsula, Resident Services location). I think the main thing was my RS was SUPER close to my airport and I really wanted an open space in front of it to act as an entrance-way. I think it would be easier to just flatten your island and rebuild rather than restarting completely. God, the cataloging alone took me over a year to complete...

Nah designing is really hard, I’m looking forward to finishing my island and never touching a design tool again. I enjoy walking around and admiring my work, showing people, just fishing and stuff and chilling with my villagers. Once I finish building it’s gonna be like ‘never again’

I deleted my island twice and kind of regret it. I kind of miss my first island and I've gotten burnout over catching all the critters again and stuff. I kept wanting different geographic features but at this point I'm just sticking with what I have

Seeing how my playtime continues to decrease and how long it is taking me to decorate my island, I have zero plans to restart and also because I bought Raymond from someone (it wouldn’t feel right to me since they didn’t want to give him up but did when they saw my potential trade for him fall apart). If I ever get tired of how my island looks, I can always remove my decorations and do over the little terraforming I did.

I honestly don't know how you'd measure being finished with an island. There's always things to improve or change up. Plus, you've spent all the time and effort terraforming and decorating your island which seems like a waste to just delete everything. Same with villager relationships or dreamy hunting. I've often found myself visiting an old savegame on the DS or Gamecube just to get some nostalgia feels. So yeah, I refuse to delete a game if I'm invested in it.

Back