• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

has anyone else ever experienced this 3DS issue?

xSuperMario64x

I am a Bug, please be gentle 🪲💜
Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Frilled Bluestone Foraged Mushroom
Porkini Foraged Mushroom
Booton Foraged Mushroom
Pink Poyopuffball Foraged Mushroom
Blue Poyopuffball Foraged Mushroom
Purple Flower Glow Wand
Galaxy Cupcake
Planet Glow Wand
Tetris Grid
Heart Glow Wand
this morning I was leaving to go to a doctors appt and I brought one of my 3DSXLs with me, it had a game on it and it was in sleep mode. when I opened it before leaving it worked just fine, but when I got back home later and opened it the screen stayed black and there was no sound coming out, but the blue power light was still on. I turned the console off and back on, and it still had two black screens.

after going online I found out that this is actually a common issue. I looked through all the suggestions on how to fix it, and the one that worked for me was taking the SD card out and booting up the console. it works just fine now, I don't really know what caused the issue earlier but it scared me for a moment because I didn't want to have to pay the 120+ dollars to have it repaired.

has anyone else encountered this issue with their 3DS?

if i'm reading this right, yeah, i have, a couple of times. i can't remember how i fixed it though, since it's been a long while. i think i would either hold the power button down for an inordinate amount of time or just leave it closed for a couple of hours. i definitely don't remember doing any complicated stuff like your solution though. don't think i ever even googled it.

Mmmmaybe? If I did I think I fixed it by keeping it off for a bit that I turned it back on, like a restart? Not 100% sure if this happened to me before though.

This sounds familiar, but I may be thinking of a completely different issue. Also worth a note is that I only own an original 3DS, not any of the later models. But from what I remember, I think this has something to do with the SD card accidentally moving or receiving some kind of minor impact that causes it to lose connection extremely briefly. Hence reseating the card tends to fix the issue.

It's typically a minor issue and not a sign of further damage or anything, but the heart attack that it induces is quite real.

I had a similar issue with my original 3DS yesterday. It was the first time I used it in about 5 to 6 years. When I started a game, the screen would turn black for a few seconds, go back to normal, and then repeat that 3 times. After that the game worked normally. Does anybody know why that could‘ve been?

The closest thing I've had to that is it getting stuck in sleep mode (screen is black but the light is on, like you described) and the solution was to hold down the power button for a while. But you mentioned it not fixing after turning it back on, so I don't think it is the exact same problem.

I never have had any issues with my 3ds's thankfully! I am happy it got sorted out though because those things can scare anyone! I actually..... did have one issue with my White New 3DS non Xl. I brought it with me one day and when I brought it home it had a black screen and said error occurred. Then it restarted and everything was fine and I had my play coins so idk what happened then! I just hope no one has to have issues with their consoles! It can be scary!!!

I had a similar issue with my original 3DS yesterday. It was the first time I used it in about 5 to 6 years. When I started a game, the screen would turn black for a few seconds, go back to normal, and then repeat that 3 times. After that the game worked normally. Does anybody know why that could‘ve been?
I've experienced this too, what I did was just turn my ds off and turn it back on again and if stopped doing it. As for why that happens, no idea, but It could be due to old age? Hopefully that helps if you're still having this issue

Back