Confetti
Island
Vylbrand
Tasty Cake
Green Bunny Balloon
Yellow Bunny Balloon
Orange Bunny Balloon
Pink Bunny Balloon
TW: This thread will contain talk of weight management and calorie/macro counting. If you have a history of disordered eating and believe this is something that could trigger you, I’d advise you not to continue reading.

This thread supports anyone trying to eat healthily, move more, monitor their macronutrient intake, or manage their weight – whether their goals are to lose, maintain, or gain weight. Feel free to use it discuss your health/fitness goals, diets and recipes, rant/rave, or even just journal your own progress.

Only discussion of healthy means of weight management is permitted in this thread. Please note that none of us here are doctors/nutritionists and asking for or offering medical advice is not allowed. What other people are doing also may not work for you. Please ask your doctor if you need advice regarding dietary changes and weight issues.

I’m Chris. I'm early 30s, 5’6”, and 130lbs. I have tenosynovitis which impacts my dominant hand/wrist and other tendon/nerve issues in my legs. I’m monitoring my calorie and macronutrient intake to maintain my weight while working on getting stronger.

Lifestyle goals:
  • Continue walking 15,000 steps a day.
  • Work out x3 times a week minimum - once with a PT.
  • Eat less fast food / cook more healthy meals at home.
  • Reduce alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine use.
  • Improve sleep.
Dietary goals (per day):
  • Calories: 2100kcal
  • Fat: 60g
  • Carbohydrates: 300g
  • Protein: 100g
(above figures worked out by my PT based on my own personal needs/goals)

I'm all about the healthy lifestyle! I've practiced martial arts for over a decade and just this year started personal training at the gym, and also went on a diet. I've managed to lose 12 or more pounds in around 4 or 5 months of exercising. The main parts of staying fit I'd say are finding a gym/academy and diet you can commit to and enjoy long-term. I've been to other gyms in the past and they didn't really catch my attention like my current one does. Best wishes to everyone out there trying to stay healthy! It can certainly be challenging at times.

after a recent health scare (that put me on a spiral for a month,) i've decided to start extremely... basic ways of making a healthy lifestyle.

first, ive always drank water as my priority drink before, but now i've cut out soda entirely. i don't miss it tbh- and if i do want it, i split it with my boyfriend. ive been eating brown rice over white rice which has been a huge change for me tbh because the texture of white rice is a big thing for me, brown rice is a bit... softer? hard to get used to but ive been using it in stuff. it's not bad! im considering the splurge to buy native wild rice from Minnesota but that would be a BIG expense, so maybe next time im in MN i'll consider it.

no more ordering out unless its healthy. ive stopped ordering taco bell, mcdonalds, popeyes, etc. i do miss them a little, but not enough to justify the cost and the immense guilt i always feel after. ive been ordering from local, healthier places instead. Indian food, Mediterranean, and some local organic spot have been my go-tos. ive become addicted to chicken shawarma, tandoori and green goddess dressing LMAO. i don't feel crummy after eating them, either :> basmati rice and white rice as sides have curbed my desire for french fries.

since doing all of this, these small changes, ive already lost 13 pounds. water weight? maybe! i am drinking a lot of water so idk! but ive already noticed my skin is softer on my face.

my goal is:
  • keep taking my thyroid medication so i can keep my metabolism up
  • drink at least 40 oz of water each day (easy)
  • maybe lose ONE pant size by the end of the year?
and my ultimate goal, which may take years, is to get my measurements down. im not looking at a scale for guidance because that makes me anxious, but i'll be measuring myself. because i want to fit into some of my dream lolita dresses! i doubt i'll be small enough to fit into the grand majority of it, ever, but i think going from 120cm bust to 105cm bust is feasible. i used to be 95cm in the bust! i can do it!! i just gotta get my thyroid/endocrine system under control.

also, i want to have more bra options that arent just from torrid :,D

Oddly enough I thought of that this morning. I'm finally getting treatment for my anxiety and I realized it wouldn't hurt me either to incorporate a physical activity.

For a while I liked Ring Fit Adventure. I don't like playing it with others around. It feels awkward doing the movements. Something @Suguri bought up that I quietly related with.

I'm a capable swimmer and I do that sometimes when the weather permits it.

My diet is a mess. I just eat whatever and whenever. I don't know the first thing about healthy eating nor was I ever taught how. I also have a bad gag reflex and I'm somewhat sensitive to texture. Finding new fruits or vegetables hasn't been easy.

My age and metabolism have kept me at a healthy weight. So nobody ever makes any comment. People will assume and comment about eating habits solely based on physical appearance, from my experiences.

For a while I was underweight and was always told 'eat more', when I was binge eating heavily. It's usually family that does this.

I really need to get back into a healthier lifestyle. Due to a lot of reasons, I've let things slide and fallen out of the good habits I had developed last year. Currently I'm about 30lbs over my ideal weight. Some of that is out of my control and I'm having surgery in October that should result in some weight loss even though that's not the reason for the surgery, but I could have been maintaining my weight all this time. Instead, I gained 10lbs over the past few months because I stopped trying.

Dietary Plan:
Not too many changes here. I don't do well counting calories or restricting the foods that I love. My main focus here will be portion control. It's hard in the US where the smallest size they offer at restaurants now is equivalent to the largest size back when I was a kid, but I know I can do better. I need to stop filling my plate or bowl at home too. I only need to take what I can comfortably eat. I shouldn't feel overly full after a meal.

Fitness Plan:
I'm not able to do a lot of high impact work-outs due to back pain, but there are still exercises I can do that are even recommended by my chiropractor. I'm going to ease back into things, so these numbers will increase over time.
- Walk at least once a day for 15 minutes
- 15 minutes of yoga every day
- Low impact exercise using resistance bands once a week to build muscle strength (minimum of 10 reps with each arm and leg)

Weigh-in:
Weekly weigh-ins to track my progress. I'm not expecting to see major changes. Maintaining or dropping a pound or two occasionally is sufficient.
Today's weight: 149lbs

This is really a very long term goal for me, as I don't want to put pressure on myself and stress out. But I do want to get my weight down again. At my lightest I was about 14kg lighter than what I am now, and I'd like to get down to that again for a start.

Dietary plan:
Start eating smaller meals throughout the day. I think my main problem at the moment is that I eat two very big meals per day. I feel that I need a big meal in the middle of the day because I don't eat breakfast and I need to eat to avoid hypoglycemia. But I think if I break it up into smaller, healthier meals I might be able to manage sugar lows easily.

If anyone has any easy, small meal prep ideas, please help me out as I struggle with these things 😅

Second to the above, I do need to try the low FODMAP diet at some stage to see if it helps my IBS symptoms. Once again, if anyone has any meal ideas, flick them my way!

PM or on here is okay either way 🥰

Exercise plan:
-
keep playing pickleball weekly!
- Go to the gym at least once a week

Mon 15/07/24 - Sun 21/07/24

Dietary Intake

MacronutrientGoalAverage
Calories (kcal)21001733
Carbohydates (g)300131
Fat (g)6052
Protein (g)10079

I only received the dietary goals my PT has outlined for me on the final day of the week, so I don't feel bad for not hitting the goals this week. He wants me eating in a calorie surplus, which will be challenging for me, but makes a lot of sense. Especially as my weight has dropped to 127.6lbs by the end of this week - below my initial maintenance weight of 130lbs (although I started the week on 129.6lbs) and also lower than the new one my PT has set for me while building muscle.

I ordered food two nights this week (and ate my girlfriend's leftovers another), and cooked four days. Definitely something I need to improve on, although the two nights I ordered food I did try to be smart about it - ordering sushi and miso soup on the Wednesday and going for the lowest calorie meal on the menu (that wasn't just a salad) on the Friday. The meals I did cook at home were all healthy.

Alcohol intake higher than I'd like, although later in the week I started replacing that with kombucha. Caffeine use stable. Nicotine use down to <600 puffs a day (vape) from more than double that.

Healthy home-cooked meals: 4/7
Takeout: 3 times.

Activity

I met with PT for the first time on Monday for a chat. I went to my first spin class on the Wednesday then experienced DOMS after, which left me with awful thigh pain and disrupted my plans to go to the gym Friday/Saturday. Apparently this is normal, especially after taking a long break from the gym like I did (5 years after working out solidly for a decade). Then when I had mostly recovered from that by Sunday I was too exhausted from lack of sleep to go. Although I did a yoga session on the Sunday to deal with the guilt I was feeling. I managed to purchase sedatives this morning to help get some semblance of a sleep pattern going, as I've been sleeping terribly since coming out of hospital a couple of weeks ago.

Steps for the week well below goal of 15,000, averaging out at 6,710 steps per day, which I put down to being unable to walk properly most of the week!

Spin class: 30 minutes.
Yoga: 30 minutes.
Total: 60 minutes.

Mon 22/07/24 - Sun 28/07/24

Dietary Intake

MacronutrientGoalAverage
Calories (kcal)2100*1378
Carbohydates (g)30094
Fat (g)6034
Protein (g)10062

Well, this was terrible. The week started off well but progressively got worse. When I'm stressed I don't sleep. When I don't sleep I have less of an appetite. I need to work on this. My weight has also dropped 1.5lbs to 126lbs. Still healthy for my height, so not a cause for concern, but something I'll need to watch as I'm not actually trying to lose weight. Luckily the biggest source of stress in my life right now will be over in three weeks and that should help things.

I've had insane Taco Bell cravings this week. Like, I got food from there three times. Plus McDonalds breakfast on Friday.

Alcohol intake lower than the week before. Caffeine and nicotine use higher (in hindsight these are both probably impacting my appetite).

*This goal is a calorie surplus. I'm not in a 700+ calorie deficit.

Activity

I had my first session with my PT on Wednesday. It went well but I was in pain Thurs-Sat as a result. Got in 30 minutes of yoga both Monday and Sunday.

Steps for the week averaging at 7,104 per day. Given I had two days where I didn't even leave the house and I had a day I was trapped in my office for hours due to construction workers, eh, could be worse. My best day was Thursday when I walked the full way to work and back (I usually get the train) - I think I'm going to try make this a regular habit, at least until the weather turns in winter. My FitBit logs walks as exercise, but I'm personally not counting them towards my totals.

Strength training: 60 minutes.
Yoga: 60 minutes.
Total: 120 minutes.

I haven't followed up here since my first post. I have been attempting to follow the plans I laid out, but I haven't been perfect about it. Still, I'm doing more than I was just a few weeks ago so that's an improvement. I'm gradually building the habits.

My week 1 weight was exactly 149lbs. Week 2 weight was 148.6lbs. Today's weight was 148.2lbs.

So I am making very slow but steady progress there and that's really all I'm expecting.

Mon 29/07/24 - Sun 04/08/24

Dietary Intake

MacronutrientGoalAverage
Calories (kcal)2100*1782
Carbohydates (g)300183
Fat (g)6043
Protein (g)10082

Still not hitting targets, but better than last week! I had three days at 2,000+ calories and one that was very low due to nausea. Weight at 127lbs, so slightly up, glad to see no further loss. Sleep is still terrible which impacts my appetite.

Alcohol use was higher than I'd like - the result of a social-heavy week. This coming week will be much less social due to a very hectic schedule so that'll take care of that. The one night I've social plans it's better to stay clear-headed so no social pressure. I can also take the sedatives if I don't drink, so I'll hopefully see better sleep this week too. Caffeine and nicotine use is still higher than I'd like but oh well I'm not mad. I look forward to when my schedule goes back to normal on the 19th.

Activity

I've been walking more this week, only getting the train on days I was in a hurry, but only managed one workout. I was focusing on upper body with my PT on Wednesday, and while it went well recovery is taking longer. It's now Monday morning and I'm still feeling it a little in my left shoulder. I've a disability that impacts my left arm, and I had to do a lot of manual lifting at work Wed/Thurs/Fri, so it was to be expected. I've a physio appointment next week so I'll mention in then.

Average steps for the week is up to 10,501. If it weren't for a very sedentary weekend due to exhaustion that would be at 13,000+, so I'm happy with that. This number is still increasing by the week and I should hopefully be hitting my goal range within another week or two.

I still haven't been doing all the exercise I want due to life being so hectic, but I am doing well on my portion control and fitting in a bit of yoga or a walk whenever I'm able. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I dropped almost a pound since my last weigh-in. I went from 148.2lbs to 147.4lbs, so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Mon 05/08/24 - Sun 11/08/24

Dietary Intake

MacronutrientGoalAverage
Calories (kcal)21001368
Carbohydates (g)300102
Fat (g)6048
Protein (g)10065

Intake worse than the week before. I put this down to incredibly high stress levels, subsequent anxious stomach, and basically not sleeping due to nausea/dreading the next day. Friday and Saturday I hit 1900 calories (what I'd need for weight maintenance on a low activity week) so it goes to show that days I'm not stressed really does make a difference! Weight (unsurprisingly) dropped to 125.7lbs, but that's not cause for concern just yet.

My PT gave me a tip for upping my carbohydrate intake today when I mentioned it's something I really struggle with (the highest I've managed in 1 day in the 5 weeks I've been tracking my macros is 202g). His recommendation was Rice Krispies Squares. I'll try incorporating these into my diet when I'm back from my trip next week.

Alcohol use much lower than previous weeks. Caffeine moderate. Nicotine still higher than I'd like.

Activity

Dismal. 😂

My PT needed to cancel the session on Friday, and I had a hectic week (over 30hrs of training between work and volunteer role), plus social plans multiple evenings and Saturday so I didn't make it to the gym once.

Average steps for the week is down at 6,921. I didn't leave the house two days (Friday and Sunday) and got the train to work and back a few times due to running late / needing to get home fast for volunteer training.

Total: 0 minutes. 😓

Another week, another small drop in weight. Last week I was at 147.4lbs and this week I weighed in at 146.8lbs.

I felt like I did much worse over the past week, so I was kind of expecting it to be higher. The fact that it dropped even a tiny bit is a win for me. I still need to get on track with doing the exercises I really want to do.

An additional goal I'm adding is to get a healthier amount of sleep. I have been going to bed later and later over the past few weeks. I know it's linked to my stress levels. I'm staying so busy during the day that I don't want to go to bed at night because that's when I've finally sat down and have a minute to myself. I need to carve out time for self-care during the day and push my bedtime up by a few hours. Getting 4 hours of sleep every night is not healthy and it's really affecting me mentally and physically.

Last night I went to bed around 2:45am instead of 3:30am. A small improvement, but hopefully one I can continue.

I wanted to ask about getting on a better sleep schedule mine has gotten way out of hand I’ve stayed up until 1am a lot lately. I can fall asleep easily but i don’t get tired quickly and I just feel like I want to stay up instead of going to bed… does anybody have any tips on how to get tired I take melatonin but i forget to take it until later at night so It doesn't help… 😅

Update: I took my melatonin at 7:10 which is alot earlier than usual I’m hoping to go to bed no later than 12:00 am i’ll let you guys know how it goes wish me luck

I don’t currently have some kind of concentrated, measurable goals, but I really miss regular physical activity and I want to incorporate more fun movement into my life beyond just walking my dog constantly.

I am technically employed by my city, so I am trying out a community center membership since we get a steep discount. I stopped by after work today and spent 90 minutes on the basketball court trying to remember all the fancy technique I used to possess when I was a basketball player—well before I became an adult.

It was kind of embarrassing because I am very much Not Good anymore, and I have memories of being very skilled, but I did it! Maybe I’ll be able to continue practicing 1-2 times a week since it’s very near my workplace. It’s something I can do by myself that is more interesting to me than just running laps or lifting weights.

Update: I took my melatonin at 7:10 which is alot earlier than usual I’m hoping to go to bed no later than 12:00 am i’ll let you guys know how it goes wish me luck
Went to bed at 12:33 which isn't good but it’s better than 1 am I’ve been going to bed around 12 ish lately

Mon 12/08/24 - Sun 18/08/24

Dietary Intake

MacronutrientGoalAverage
Calories (kcal)2100N/A
Carbohydates (g)300N/A
Fat (g)60N/A
Protein (g)100N/A

I've been working out of the country this week, and my PT told me don't worry about the diet, and I'm glad I didn't because honestly I ate so much. At home I'll typically buy food from places where the calorie and macro counts are either advertised or easily calculated, but while away I was eating in group settings and we often shared dishes so I couldn't be that picky. Weight up almost 3lbs at 128.4 lbs. No complaints here! Now how do I replicate that same appetite at home?

Alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine use all high. Not even mad about it. I enjoyed those extra glasses of wine, bonding in the smoking area, and needed copious amounts of energy drink and tea to get through the 14hr work days!

Activity

My PT session was brutal. Legs and arms in one session. Ouch! I was in pain until Thursday. Although he did say I was managing more reps and more weight than the previous sessions. That's good!

Average steps for the week is at 9,551. I don't feel like I actually moved about much, so that's not bad.

Right now im running 2-3 miles 4 times a week and soccer 3-4 times a week. One of my biggest goals is drinking more water and cutting out unnecessary sugary foods. Like an apple or cookie is fine, but snaking on skittles and sugary cokes is what im trying to avoid!

Right now im trying to get back into weight lifting, especially arms and back. But I have been struggling with my costochondritis, which is inflammation of cartilage in between my ribs on my chest. It randomly attacks me and it feels like my lungs are getting pierced with a spear and makes it extremely hard to breathe 😭. Sometimes a random movement can trigger it and the pain will last up to about 2 days. I’ve been dealing with this for MONTHS now but I am not going to let it get in the way of staying healthy. There is no “cure” so I’ve just been living with it 🤷🏻‍♀️ Advil helps and so does ice but Does anyone have any light lifting workouts?

Last edited:
Back