• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

How do you feel about the no-waste lifestyle?

Buttonsy

Loser
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Tasty Cake
White Pansy
White Pansy
White Pansy
Tasty Cake
June Birthstone (Pearl)
Red Cosmos
Red Cosmos
White Cosmos
I've recently noticed a rise in people trying to go no-waste, which basically means you live a lifestyle where you try to reduce the amount of trash you make, with one of the biggest things being not buying items that come in a non-reusable packaging (for example, food that comes in bags, boxes, or cans). It also often seems to involve getting into composting, so that you can get rid of food waste in a more efficient way. I'm curious what people here have to think about it, and if anyone here is living no-waste!

At first, I was very skeptical about it, as I'm in general skeptical of environmental movements that try to put more pressure on the consumer to be responsible over their environmental impact instead of putting the pressure on large corporations- after all, if these large corporations would just put their products in reusable and less environmentally harmful packaging, consumers wouldn't have to do so much work in their individual lives just to see any change. But while I still largely believe that one of the most important ways we can help the environment is to put more pressure on the government to create laws that hold corporations more strictly accountable for their environmental impact, when I saw how much trash individuals do tend to make, I was sort of floored. Particularly, I learned that apparently, my country of Canada actually tends to have the worst track record with waste, with the average citizen of Canada producing on average 2.7 KILOGRAMS of trash every single day. And a lot of other countries also have unfortunately high numbers, like US citizens producing about 1.9 kilograms of trash a day on average.

As a developmentally disabled person, I sometimes struggle with tasks like cooking for myself, so reducing my impact on the environment to a completely no-waste lifestyle sounds incredibly difficult. I often rely on pre-prepared meals to feed myself, and often end up going hungry if I attempt to make myself only eat homemade food, because my brain doesn't break down tasks easily, so if pre-prepared meals aren't available to me, I'll often end up just going very long stretches of time without eating. That being said, I'm going to try to find little ways to reduce my impact on the environment for now, starting with trying to remember to bring reusable cups when I go out for coffee instead of using the disposable paper cups the coffee shops usually give me. (Which, by the way, most coffee shops do in fact allow you to bring your own cups from home instead of using their disposable ones!) I'm also going to attempt to buy things I use often in bulk, so that even if I do have to throw away the package eventually, I'll be throwing away less packaging overall. Stuff like rice, baking soda, and at-home coffee, are things I use up very quickly, and could probably benefit from buying in bulk.

I think everyone should do their part to reduce waste.

I've been composting for years, try to only buy products (especially food/drink) in non-recyclable containers, and try to remember to take my own coffee/cold brew cups to shops (but often I go on a whim and forget!). I have managed for the most part to switch to skin/hair care and cosmetics with recyclable/returnable packaging if not completely packaging-free.

I'm still trying to find the bravery to make the switch to a non-waste alternative to feminine hygiene products though. :p

I try to do the best I can, but living a completely no-waste lifestyle is out of reach for me. I can't cook, so I also rely on pre-packaged foods or eating out, both of which create a lot of waste. I recycle what I can, though, and use canvas grocery bags. I have switched to a more environmentally friendly feminine hygeine product and I'm so glad I did because it's not only better for the environment, it saves me money and has other benefits too.

I think reducing waste is important, but not every individual can manage everything, so we should all do what we can and try not to feel bad about what we can't. I am also definitely a proponent of corporations and governments getting involved to make things better. Improving the environment helps us all, so if those producing the products get on board, it makes things a lot easier.

After I posted here earlier, I was reading about how Luke Perry was buried in a special kind of suit with mushroom spores that are supposed to help a body decompose quicker and the mushroom eat the toxins from your body so they don't go back into the environment. I think that's pretty cool. Unfortunately, you have to find a place that would allow you to be buried like that. Where I live, all of the cemeteries require a casket and a vault to keep any decomposition from affecting their immaculate landscaping.

I have done research into how I want my body disposed of when I die and I think, unless more options like this mushroom suit become available and viable in the future, I still plan to be sent to a body farm. That way my body will be left out in nature to decompose naturally and it will aid those who wish to study decomposition to help with criminal cases, etc.

I know that's probably a gruesome and morbid thought for some people, but I don't really care what happens to my body when I'm gone and I'd like to think that I'm not doing more damage to the environment even after I'm dead.

After I posted here earlier, I was reading about how Luke Perry was buried in a special kind of suit with mushroom spores that are supposed to help a body decompose quicker and the mushroom eat the toxins from your body so they don't go back into the environment. I think that's pretty cool. Unfortunately, you have to find a place that would allow you to be buried like that. Where I live, all of the cemeteries require a casket and a vault to keep any decomposition from affecting their immaculate landscaping.

I have done research into how I want my body disposed of when I die and I think, unless more options like this mushroom suit become available and viable in the future, I still plan to be sent to a body farm. That way my body will be left out in nature to decompose naturally and it will aid those who wish to study decomposition to help with criminal cases, etc.

I know that's probably a gruesome and morbid thought for some people, but I don't really care what happens to my body when I'm gone and I'd like to think that I'm not doing more damage to the environment even after I'm dead.

I'd never heard that about Luke Perry, that's quite cool!

And I don't necessarily think that's gruesome or morbid, I often watch a YouTube channel called Ask A Mortician and I've heard a lot about how environmentally un-friendly the death and funeral industry can be, so I think making plans about how you want your body to be disposed of in a more environmentally friendly way is really thoughtful.

I think this is all great. I personally like to recycle as much as possible, but I don’t think that’s enough compared to all of this. I’m tired of buying water bottle packages though, so I’m going to help the environment by using my re-usable water bottle more. I don’t really know what composting is to be honest, but I guess I would have to do some research on some of these things and see if they’re things I could do.

I think this is all great. I personally like to recycle as much as possible, but I don’t think that’s enough compared to all of this. I’m tired of buying water bottle packages though, so I’m going to help the environment by using my re-usable water bottle more. I don’t really know what composting is to be honest, but I guess I would have to do some research on some of these things and see if they’re things I could do.

Composting is when you are able to turn organic "waste" into a fertilizer that is safe to put back into the soil. While some kinds of waste, like plastic, aren't something you could really compost, "waste" that comes from nature, like banana peels or egg shells, can be turned into a fertilizer, so it's safe to put it back into nature, and it's something a lot of gardeners are into.

I think it's pretty great, and while I agree that the bulk of the responsibility isn't on the consumer, atleast if it becomes a 'marketable' asset to an item to have no or reuseable packaging other than a bane, the lazy corporations might actually step up to the plate.

Ideally I wish that when you went to the store, you brought your own containers from home, and filled your containers with items you need like grains and pastas, cereals, fruits, etc. I wish shopping was more straightforward and simple, with as much as possible sourced locally, and packaged in bulk, for the individual to package at the store. With this kind of system, because you'll have less worked packaging in plants, they could have this kind of worker in the store, who can package your order for you. I know it sounds complicated, but we cannot afford to create so much waste for any longer. I don't think we'll fix this problem in time though.

Your anecdote about your difficulties with procuring food interested me, I'm a bit physically clumsy and also struggle with lists of tasks, but I've found a few things that help. If it's something you're interested in, a tool like a ricecooker could be very helpful for you. I like it cause I don't have to interact with the hot elements at all, and it will keep it warm and it's not time sensitive. It's also very cheap meals. However I do have to make a nice fried egg to put on top of it... Basically, I hope you can find solutions that help make procuring food cheaper and easier for you. Other tools to look into are things like boxed mandolin slicers, so even if you're clumsy like me you won't hurt yourself. Being able to cook for yourself is extremely helpful, and cooking classes are probably the most vital thing I've seen in any rehabilitative spaces for people with disabilities.

Composting is when you are able to turn organic "waste" into a fertilizer that is safe to put back into the soil. While some kinds of waste, like plastic, aren't something you could really compost, "waste" that comes from nature, like banana peels or egg shells, can be turned into a fertilizer, so it's safe to put it back into nature, and it's something a lot of gardeners are into.

Ah, thanks for explaining that to me. I’ll have to get started on composting soon! ;)

I think it's good that some people are able to maintain a zero waste lifestyle. Though, it's a bit difficult for me to do really. We always try to cutback on the waste we're using and use things that can be recycled. Though I rely on ready meals because I have a lot to do and not enough time to cook. So it's not something I would be able to do but I think it's a postive thing.

I think it's a good initiative, but I think they have to remember not every can do it for various reasons and it shouldn't be forced collectively because it looks good on paper. Just do you best and actually throw junk in the bin rather than on the street or in the forest instead.

It's really hard to achieve the no-waste lifestyle for me, but I'm doing what I can to reduce it. Just recently, I've started composting food scraps to reduce waste and to provide fertilizer. Especially since I'm taking culinary classes, it's important not to waste the food produce and to properly dispose them in the organics bin. Something I don't understand are water bottles. How they're more expensive than coke is beyond me but plastics have BPA and it's not good for our bodies. Therefore, that's another reason to why we should avoid them as much as we can and show those big companies that you shouldn't take advantage of other people.

Meh company's produce like 94% off all waste so me as some normal citizen won't change anything so I don't waste my time on it since they won't change because it's cheaper to just do what they do rn

I think it's great. Everyone can do their bit, even it's only a little - it still has an effect. I'm disabled and rely on a lot of preprepared food in order to eat, but some of it comes in so much unnecessary packaging which annoys me. I do recycle what I can. We also have a food recycling scheme as part of our regular garbage collections where I live which is good. I need to try and cut down on the amount of bottled water I drink, it's convenient but so wasteful. I did see recently that one skincare brand have started selling biodegradable face wipes which I will be switching to.

I try to recycle what I can and look up local areas where i can dispose of non recyclables or compost certain thinhs like egg shells and bananas, but honestly i think it's pointless. I'm gonna go with George Carlin on this one.

I’m personaly really interested in zero waste stuff, and there’s so many things to reduce your garbage, recycle is the most easy one but there’s a ton of little things we wouldn’t think of that we can do.
I know the big corporation should do something but all they work for is money and zero waste is less buying so less money zero waste doesn’t go their way.
But i think if everyone do a little bit, it could make things better. We doesn’t need 1 person doing it at 100% but 100 people doing their best.
For what I do, I have a metal straw, I recycle and I have a reusable metal bottle so no more plastic water bottle, that’s not much but when I move out to my own place I hope to do a lot more.

Last edited:
zero waste is a good idea but it would be so hard to truly live a zero waste lifestyle. i recycle a lot and don't buy new stuff just because so i try to reduce waste

Back