• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

How does data become corrupted?

keybug55

Untitled Goose Villager
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
3543-1815-3219
Blue Hybrid Pansy
Pavé
May Birthstone (Emerald)
Easter Egg
Togepi Easter Egg
Red Candy
Dusty Scroll
Ancient Lantern
Yellow Candy
Pokéball
I'm scared for my life 0_0 well...my AC life that is.

I have a cartridge and I heard numerous stories that people's data can become corrupted when they go to their home menu or by using the reset trick. Are there any signs of it corrupting soon? I wanna know D:

We don't know the exact cause.

But we can try to avoid the problem by not resetting and not turning off the game during saves. Some people use the SD card and back up their stuff EVERY SAVE. But unfortunately, us cartridge folk don't have the back up luxury like that. I think there's a way to move your stuff to the SD card. Doesn't mean it always works. I'm not sure if I read correctly, but someone said that was what corrupted their file?

So not resetting and stuff could work.

I don't think anyone really knows what exactly causes the data to corrupt. But I doubt the game will let you know beforehand so you can do something about it.

Personally, I'm going to keep using the reset trick for villager house placement and possibly campers. I've started using the power button to go back to the home menu though, but I wonder if it's really any safer than going to the home menu and then closing the game. I guess we'll see.

The game saves in a very complicated way unlike most other games, so if it gets interrupted while saving corruption will occur. I'd say about 90% of corruptions are due to people switching off too early!

Every time you save your game it generates a new, random "Save ID" and stores that ID in both the SD/Savegame and the 3DS's system memory. Trying to load a save with mismatched IDs will result in being forced to wipe the save.

Probably something interrupts one of the IDs.

Last edited:
But we can try to avoid the problem by not resetting and not turning off the game during saves.

Correct. One other scenario: make sure your 3DS has power as it's Saving. Other than that, this is the only advice you need.

Stop the resetting trick and you should be fine

With all due respect, you seem to advocate telling people not to cheat. People can and will reset, no matter how many times a mole yells at you.

With regards to the topic, I think it can be caused by many factors. The only way to know for sure is for Nintendo to investigate it.

With all due respect, you seem to advocate telling people not to cheat. People can and will reset, no matter how many times a mole yells at you.

With regards to the topic, I think it can be caused by many factors. The only way to know for sure is for Nintendo to investigate it.

Huh, I really don't think Oath feels this is cheating at all. The concern here is minimizing data loss & his response is direct & informative.

But he/she has a point, all that turning on and off probably does increase the risk. Other people have said their data got corrupted while resetting.

Well, then those people would just have to accept that their file might become corrupted, right? If you overuse the reset function you might have to face the consequences.

As for me, I've never reset much but I'm thinking of not doing it anymore at all. I'll just have to model my town around any inconvenient house placements - challenge accepted. ^_^

Well, then those people would just have to accept that their file might become corrupted, right? If you overuse the reset function you might have to face the consequences.

As for me, I've never reset much but I'm thinking of not doing it anymore at all. I'll just have to model my town around any inconvenient house placements - challenge accepted. ^_^

Exactly - If they want to take the risk, that's fine.
Yes, I think the challenge of building the town around the inconvenient house places is actually quite fun!

I don't do the reset trick anymore and I save every now and then :3

I keep hearing about people's 3ds's dying. {Running out of battery}

What's the average battery life per charge?
I have to charge my 3dsxl daily

Data corruption is from clicking the power button when told not to (for example: while saving)

Never quit while saving/loading...

Also quit with the home button to avoid corruption. But never do it while saving/loading

Last edited:
Nintendo need to figure out a way to allow us to back up save files, it's not just this forum I've seen people post about corrupted saves but GameFAQs and Reddit too.

It's scary how random it is though, so many people have done the resetting trick (I must have done it at least 100 times) or duping trick and their files are fine.

Back