• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

How does data become corrupted?

im quite scared now since sometimes my game goes blank (like a black screen) for like 5 seconds

omfg i accidentally shut off while it was loading earlier i thought it'd loaded (going back to the home screen) but the train was still in the corner and i turned it off lmao thank god it didn't corrupt

You can't, and that's what's so scary about it 0_0

There is a way, but it's a little bit annoying. You have to create a backup everytime you stop playing (after you save). So the game doesn't have mismatching save IDs and you can restore.

I've been noticing my game is loading a bit slower... Like when message bubbles appear when I catch something

There is a way, but it's a little bit annoying. You have to create a backup everytime you stop playing (after you save). So the game doesn't have mismatching save IDs and you can restore.

There's no system backup with a cartage

I've been noticing my game is loading a bit slower... Like when message bubbles appear when I catch something

I really hate the part in bold
Cartridgers should be able to back up data without third party equipment :( With all the horror stories I'm scared to even play without a full battery.

omfg i accidentally shut off while it was loading earlier i thought it'd loaded (going back to the home screen) but the train was still in the corner and i turned it off lmao thank god it didn't corrupt

Haha beffa, living on the edge! Close call! ^o^

Isn't there a tool that moves save files from cartridges to the SD Card? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you could use that ^^

I've freaked myself out a few times when hitting the home button to quickly add someone's FC without turning off the game and when i go back to the game, it's just frozen for a good 10 seconds or so. It's been happening less, but now i've been more inclined to save & quit instead of using the home button to access the friend system in the 3DS :/

My data corrupted about 10 days ago, and I lost everything. :( I still don't know how it happened...

In order to know for sure, some experimentation has to be done. It would involve testing all known variables, like model, wi-fi on or off, etc.

One test I did involved me using a spare 3DS that I transferred all my stuff off, with a digital copy of the game, wi-fi on, and I reset around 11 times, trying to emulate the conditions. None of the 11 resets seem to cause any damage at all.

So I don't know what the connecting link between the stories are. Is there a common factor?

I've done the reset trick at least 1,000 times between my two copies, and used the home button to close the game off. I never have had any save corruption issues, and I've had the game since day one.

SD Cards are no different if I understand what I've read on other websites. Animal Crossing has this really stupid save system that makes it impossible to truly back it up. Here, let me quote someone who has more knowledge than I do.

"I had heard that Animal Crossing New Leaf's save data has a double encrytion. Every time you save, the game creates a new key for the SD Card save data, and the 3DS internal memory. Today, I did a test to confirm and backed up my "Nintendo 3DS" folder on my computer. I inserted the SD Card, opened Animal Crossing and saved. I put the SD Card on my computer, and deleted the "Nintendo 3DS" folder (I should've backed up this one aswell but forgot).
I copied back my backed up "Nintendo 3DS" folder and opened AC, and the result was as I expected... The save data was useless and wouldn't be accepted because it wasn't the same.

This got my attention and I noticed that it was a very selfish move on Nintendo... just so people couldn't copy/back up AC Save Data and clone... However, this is also a big flaw aswell! If your SD Card got corrupted, then your "Nintendo 3DS" folder backup would be absolutely useless... Thus, all of your effort in AC has gone to waste."

Pretty much, you have no way to back up your save because Nintendo doesn't want people restoring their save to a previous session when they had all their valuable items before trading. So, they completely made it impossible(until the system possible gets hacked and you can perhaps edit the ID creates) to even back up your digital copies. The back-up tool won't work on it for the same reason.

Britty, thank you for posting that. It's interesting to know how the files work.
I've never had my game corrupted and I've reset less than 5 times at this point, but I always wait till the title screen shows back up after I save to make sure the game is completely done saving.
It's scary to think all this progress could be deleted so quickly :/

Mint said before that she was able to save her Japanese game from corruption using a digital backup though. With the whole "backing up after each play session" thing.

Back