• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Smash Bros How does the 3DS version compare to the Wii U?

Biyaya

Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Sky Clouds Scenery
Shooting Star Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
Pink Feather
White Feather
I'd been a fan of Smash since the N64 one and kind of fell out of it as I got out of high school (2012). Recently some people had been coming over to play Brawl at the house I live in and I am tempted to get the newer one now. I would want Smash 4 for the Wii U, but I do not have a Wii U and may not even get one; so I am curious about how the 3DS version compares? I've played Smash Wii U on my brother's system a few times and enjoyed myself, but never have I tried the 3DS one (which is more financially appropriate for me). Can anybody help paint me the differences and if the handheld one is worth getting?

Hmm... I have both and I prefer the Wii U version. The graphics alone set them apart. I find the Wii U version more visually appealing and it makes the battles feel more enjoyable. As for the stages, I think the 3DS has the Wii U beat. The Wii U stages are a bit more chaotic and the 3DS ones just seem more playable without having to use Omega stages. The Wii U provides a vast amount of control options for the game, but the 3DS only allows you to use the system itself. The Wii U version has smoother online experience with connection. The Wii U has 7 exclusive game modes and the 3DS only has 2. The Wii U version is obviously superior, but the 3DS version isn't all that bad. If you're wanting to invest a heavy amount of time into Smash 4 the Wii U version is the better choice, but casual play and on the go play would be better suited for the 3DS.

3DS is pretty much the appetizer before the main course (Wii U) came out.
The 3DS version was oodles of fun for the month and a half before Smash Wii U dropped.

Don't buy 3DS Smash. Feels like a watered-down Smash Wii U. Only thing I can say that's decent about it is Smash Run but that might not be for you.

I would get Smash 3ds just for the sake of portability, and the amazing Smash Run mode.

Other than that, Wii U version all the way.

I'd say the 3DS version is definitely good, particularly if you get the N3DS, which will have the C-stick for additional control options in Smash. If it's more financially viable, it may not be as pretty as the WiiU one, but it's still fun.

Just the graphics for meh xD I hav 3ds vers. only but I can say, Wii U has better graphics :p

I prefer the 3DS version simply because there is no lag from your inputs. From the controller to the Wii U to the TV there's often a very small amount of input lag but it's still noticeable to me. Overall I like the Wii U version.

A tenth of a second of lag is noticeable?

That would be 6 delayed frames out of 60. For every second, there is 60 frames. Alternatively, that would be around 100 milliseconds of input delay. Each second has 1000 milliseconds. According to that Display Lag page, it would be considered bad for gaming, especially in fighting games. You might want to figure out on how to enable Game Mode from your TV to reduce input lag.

The only reasons to have the 3DS version are for portability, lower cost, and if your friends play on it. The Wii U is better in every other way. Custom stages, more music, better graphics, one extra piece of DLC the 3DS doesn't get(a stage from Brawl), option to play doubles with a friend in person, 8-player mode, controller options (including the 3DS), a competitive scene, and that board game looking mode that I never use.

The 3DS has... Smash Run. But it's portable, which is nice if you're in school and want to play with friends.

I had the 3DS version ever since release and have longed for the Wii U version. I eventually got it last year, and my main reasons were for the competitive scene and better controller options. The 3DS circle pad can't do very much. It's all up to you, though.

Last edited:
3ds smash has almost the same modes as the Wii U but their are afew diffrents. They both have diffrents stages the WII U don't have smash run instead it is a different game. Smash WII U have 8player mode and master and crazy orders.

I actually think the 3ds version is better than the Wii u. Coming from someone who goes to college where many people play the 3ds version, it's really fun to play on the go and play with strangers. Nothing more satisfying than new challengers join your lobbies. In addition, the controllers are pretty good, and I actually use the 3ds as a controller in smash 4.

I hardly ever use 8 player smash because personally me 1v1 and 2v2 is most fun. Anything above that makes it too difficult to see what's going on. Not to mention, the Wii u graphics aren't even that impressive, so I don't really care about graphics on the 3ds. However, I do love playing smash 4 on 3ds with 3D. It works really good with new 3ds. Also, my friends and I never use custom stages and most of the time, we play on omega stages, so I don't care what stages the wii u version has since it's always flat. Plus a large majority of the stages are recycled from brawl and most of my favorite music tracks are on the 3ds including the Dlc ones.

Personally me, I'm not a huge fan of the Wii u version, but I still play on it because I play competitively. But at the end of the day, I simply love the 3ds version more and the social interaction you get from it.

Anything I can do on the Wii u with a GameCube controller, I can preform on my 3ds, too.

Last edited:
I got Smash Wii U 3 days after launch with the GameCube Adaptor and Smash GCN Controller. I love the Wii U version as it feels the most complete of all the games in the series, but I personally am not a big fan of fighting games, I do well in Smash Bros. However, Smash Wii U is pretty fun to play with all of its different ways to play (Wii Remote, Wii Remote+Nunchuk, Classic Controller, GCN Controller, Pro Controller, Wii U GamePad, 3DS) and it is my personal favorite in the series!

I bought Smash 3DS shortly after getting my New Nintendo 3DS XL in February of 2016. Smash Bros. 3DS is a pretty good handheld port of Smash Bros, however, I have to play mainly with my New 3DS XL's C Stick as trying to play with a flat controller is pretty hard to handle when I have played with the curved GameCube Controller for Smash most of my life. If you are a hardcore Smash player, it will take a while to get used to. If you are starting out in Smash, you should be fine. The stages are a lot better than what was given out to Wii U owners. I haven't tried out Smash Run myself, but I really enjoyed Smash Tour on Wii U. The visuals are okay for 3DS, but this was most likely the best they could do since the game barely runs on the original 3DS.

Back