• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

I know this may be an extremely late and stupid opinion to share with you guys

CHR:)S

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Classic Easter Egg
And this is in no way going to stop me or anyone nor should it from purchasing this game

But honestly I don't like the idea of being mayor. I've had this opinion from day 1 but never talked about it.

Now that we've finally made progress and we now know when the game is going to come out, maybe I should talk about it now. May as well.

I really don't like the idea of being mayor. And it just seems really awkward that when you try to pretend like your little town is all real and whatnot, it's awkward when you visit friends towns and they visit yours, and everybody are mayors.

I really enjoyed the resident lifestyle. Of course, being mayor is going to give more stuff to do, but still..

To people who have the game, is it possible to partake in all the mayor authorities and still lie to yourself that your nothing but a resident? I don't like the subconscious pressures of knowing I am the one who is the leader of the town.

Anyone have different or same opinions?

I get what you are saying. One of the great things about playing AC is that there is no pressure. Your goals are whatever you make them. My fiance is totally stumped by this.

Example- conversation from earlier today
-Him: what are you doing?
-Me: playing AC
-Him: did your character just drink a cup of coffee?
-Me: Yup!
-Him: so does that give you, like, special powers or bonus points?
-Me: Nope.
-Him: what's the point?
-me: Ummm... To drink coffee?
He leaves the room

Being the mayor- having villagers asking you to build this or build that for them. Having that much more control over the game...

The thing to remember is it is still animal crossing: if you don't want to do community projects and just want a rural town- don't do them!

If you really hate being mayor- make a secondary character (after the first one) and have that player be your main go around and the "mayor" character- just play them when decisions need to be made- that way when your secondary runs around, no one will call you Mayor cRz or what not, but just good old cRz.

I'm not sure I like the idea personally of making a second character. I am a perfectionist so I'm going to stick with one character. That is good advice for someone who isn't borderline-OCD as I am. xD

Ah, I get what you're saying. But wait.. the animals call you "mayor"..? That sucks.. I actually liked developing normal relationships with my neighbors. That is jank. :"(

I actually don't know if they call you mayor or not. I got it from the English trailer where they say Mayor Stan or some such. It might just happen in the opening. But my guess is that they might.

I like the idea of being mayor but you literally can ignore your mayor duties as far as I know. If I can be honest, I've never pretended my town to be real, nor will I ever pretend it real. Even when I am mayor of Fairfax and rule all the land that the sun touches.

But really...You can ignore being mayor and pretend you are just a normal resident. All it takes is imagination.

Last edited:
In terms of visiting other towns, I like the idea that it won't only be the layout that's unique to my friends. Seeing their creative ways of using town deco will be as exciting as seeing how they decorate their house. But as others have said, I don't think there are any negative effects of neglecting your duties as mayor save for Shizue wondering where you are.

I like being the mayor. It will make me feel important lol. But it's not going to be serious pressure ya know? You don't have to do what your villagers want. Animal Crossing is game about making your own decisions in your own town. So you don't have to do mayor things if you don't want to. The only mayor things you do is plant the town tree, community projects and ceremonies to celebrate your community projects. That's all that I can think of and there might be more that I don't know of yet. I know you said you don't want to make a second character but if you don't really wanna be mayor this might be your only option. If u got any siblings, you can share the game and let them be mayor.

You pretty much ran the town in all the other AC games, I don't see why some extra options and a title really change anything.

I don't like the idea of being mayor, either. In City Folk, I did not want a "perfect town", either, but that could just be ignored.

There is so much else to like in this game, that even if I have to be mayor I will love it anyway. I like Valerie's suggestion. I could create a mayor character and then only play a second character, not him.

You pretty much ran the town in all the other AC games, I don't see why some extra options and a title really change anything.

I agree with this. And the nice benefit of being mayor is not the title, but that you can customize your town a lot more than you did in the other games. This way, your town will look even more different than other people's towns if you go to visit them.

From what I've gathered there aren't any real pressures to being a mayor.

They basically needed a reason to explain why you were adding all these items to the town. I heard the mayor aspect of the game came late in it's development.

I love the idea of being the mayor in this game and I don't see how it's much different from previous games. It's not like you're playing SimCity and could run into negative figures and have your town closed down. I think you might be overthinking this.

I don't mind the idea of being mayor. After 3 games of pretty much the same exact stuff, I think that becoming the mayor will be a fresh take on the game and will give it more life :) Now, in a sense, there are more tangible goals to be achieved.
Not that there weren't goals in the other ACs, but with this one you start out with small goals and then move on to bigger ones. Choices have to be made about which decorations to put into the town... that sort of thing.
I'm expecting it to be really enjoyable, and that it will hopefully keep me playing longer.
I can see why you wouldn't want to be mayor, though. Feeling as if you have a job and responsibilities might be kind of not-as-fun as if you were playing as a normal resident. But as everyone has been saying, those "responsibilities" can be ignored.
But your opinion isn't a stupid one at all. Everyone has an opinion on something, and just because it might not be the same as anyone else's doesn't make it stupid :3

The game is still do what you want, with the same "stress factors" of fulfilling villager requests or events within their time frames. Considering how much more rediculously rich I am compared to the other villagers now / work I have done it only feels right that I'm called their Mayor now :D

I actually feel the same way as you and would rather not be mayor. As soon as I found out this AC would still allow up to four player villagers, I made up my mind that my first character would be the mayor, and the second player would be my true self. :p I'm even making my mayor a sort of king-like character and he'll have a castle-style home for himself.

I've been reading these forums for a while and finally decided to join and was about to post this topic, but saw that you already did! I'm not the only one who just wants to be an everyday villager, haha.

Back