• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Kohei's Oh's!

Fjoora

Artist Extraordinaire
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Voodoo Doll
Pink Hybrid Lily
Red Lily
Tasty Cake
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
森
ぶ
の
ど
う
In the AC:NL Lindsey and Kohei videos, Kohei says many variations of his favorite phrase.
Someone needs to go back through and either remix it or play the AC:NL theme out of Oh's.

Actually, I think it's his Japanese dialect. I'm pretty sure it's not a 'favorite phrase', he simply says it to express interest. I didn't even notice it to be honest, is it that noticeable...?

And someone should probably obtain Kohei's permission before making a remix using his voice.

That... would.... be.... AMAZING.. But I agree someone should get premission from Kohei first!
Huh.. now that I think about it Kohei does say 'Oh' alot... Maybe it's cuz his english isn't the best and he's not enterily sure what to say otherwise? I don't know XD

I notice it when he does it :3
but I agree that it's probably not really a 'favorite phrase'
It's just something he does when he finds something interesting or amusing or something.
It reminds me of a lot of characters that you see in anime. When one says something interesting or something they didn't know before, they do that.
Sort of the thing when he says "eeeehhh?!" at something weird xD
I think it's just a Japan thing... though it's hard to say since I dont really know anyone from Japan :I
But if you ever watch Japanese game shows or anime it's a pretty common thing.

Uhh...interesting thread haha. Saying "oh" like that is just part of being Japanese, and even when he speaks English it remains as a remnant of sorts. It is not his favorite phrase or anything like that though.

Haah yeah it's just something he says when he finds something interesting or amusing, probably paired with the fact English isn't his first language and that he doesn't really 'prepare' notes for the video like Lin does. Maybe it's just more common to make noises of interest in Japan too? I know if people did it here we might find it sarcastic or annoying, it might just be an expected reaction in Japan?

Its just a part of being asian, my grandma always used to go 'ooooooooooh' when she found something interesting :3 Although i never do it though o-o (i think...)

Ya when I was in Japan and had a Japanese exchange student I found that he, and when I was there, i'd often hear people go 'oh' in 1,000 different tones

but tbh i do think a remix would be cool LOL

I've always noticed the ohs and found they kind of took away from the videos. The ohs are all I can concentrate on instead of actually hearing what Lin has to say... Not that's it's a bad thing...
Considering English isn't Kohei's first language. However, if he were to speak Japanese in the videos just to participate a bit I'm sure that can be translated somehow. It just doesn't seem like a cooperative walkthrough otherwise.

It's a Japanese cultural thing. It has nothing to do with his English ability. A lot of Japanese people do that to indicate that they're listening when you're talking to them or that they understand something you said. You'll hear similar things like "sou desu ne" or "hai" inserted in too. Think of when people in English say things like "uh huh" and such when you are speaking to them.

I've noticed, and I think it's adorable. They're both adorable! :D I really enjoy their videos!

Lindsey herself says that it's not because English is not his first language, and even says its a cultural thing, and some still assume its because he doesn't know fluent English xD

But yeah, it's a cultural thing. Whenever I would watch Japanese anime, that's all you'd ever notice when they were surprised, or some other emotion. C:

I always thought it was along the lines of a gasp or something as an English speaker. Or a wow or something. Just something to express emotion. Like, pretty sure all languages have things like that, just different.

Just as a note, I wasn't being serious when I said it was his "favorite phrase". I was just making the whole sentence colorful.
I think it's funny how everyone had to go to serious town for that.

It's a Japanese cultural thing. It has nothing to do with his English ability. A lot of Japanese people do that to indicate that they're listening when you're talking to them or that they understand something you said. You'll hear similar things like "sou desu ne" or "hai" inserted in too. Think of when people in English say things like "uh huh" and such when you are speaking to them.

I understand that it's him acknowledging what she is saying, but I'm sure everyone thinks it's cute.
Also, it's one of his very few lines! Imagine if there was an American Video series done by two people where one person said "Uh-huh" for almost everything they said. It would stand out for sure. I just was thinking about it the other day and I thought it would be great if someone made a video of it!
And I don't think anyone gets permission from people when they make parodies or such. I'm sure it would be polite though.

Last edited:
I never really noticed the ohs, but I make hmm noices when I see something interesting.

BTW, Lin. What's that little jingle at the end of the videos called?

This is probably one of TBT's stranger topics. lol

I wonder if one day we'll have one of those, "I'm in the weird part of TBT again." moments.

Personally I find it very awkward lol

But I think I might laugh and pully fianc? to see it if I had a thread going on about the sounds my fianc? makes and how cute they are xD

Poor Lindsey already read it, I wonder if Kohei himself has already. They probably think we're strange for making such a topic. XD

I never really noticed the ohs, but I make hmm noices when I see something interesting.

BTW, Lin. What's that little jingle at the end of the videos called?

We got that little jingle from a program on Mac where we edit the video. I believe it is called "Offroad short" :)

In Japan, it is considered polite/natural to continue to say "oh" and "un" to show that you are listening. In the US however, people are expected to stay quiet while listening. Just different things culturally. I barely notice it because we live together but I can see now how it could be a little confusing to those that have not met with people from other cultures. It has absolutely nothing to do with his language ability, as his English is very good.

Back