• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Kohei's Oh's!

I wouldnt be jealous of us europeans, the state of our second language skills are appalling (unless its English) The British are terrible when it comes to other languages. I guess we're lazy because most other european countries have english as their second so we can get by without it. Its a shame. Like Saratoga said, I did French and German in school but can only remember a few random sentences. I do rememeber how to say you are driving me round the bend in perfect German :D (i wonder why that is?)
I would love to learn Japanese though.

Yup, same for me. English was a significantly more important subject throughout high school, and now that I'm in university pretty much all of the literature is in English. I also had German and French in high school but it didn't get nearly as much attention and so you basically just forget most of it after graduating.

I know how to ask for a condom in German and for directions to the prostitutes in French, but that's pretty much it.

In Japan, it is considered polite/natural to continue to say "oh" and "un" to show that you are listening. In the US however, people are expected to stay quiet while listening. Just different things culturally. I barely notice it because we live together but I can see now how it could be a little confusing to those that have not met with people from other cultures. It has absolutely nothing to do with his language ability, as his English is very good.

Yep. Exactly this.

To the rest of the people in this thread, it is a quirk about Japan that I think would bother your typical American at first. I don't know about the culture of Europe or Australia or anything, so I can't say anything about that. But it's seriously not uncommon for a Japanese person to make some sort of acknowledgement sound every few words you utter out of your mouth. Like Lindsey's saying in what I quoted, it's not rude. It's actually a polite thing to do. I just know a lot of people I grew up with in the US would find it obnoxious, thinking the person making the acknowledgement sound is pretending to pay attention or is trying to hurry the person along in whatever they're talking about. You get used to it really quickly once you're around some native Japanese people.

@ACking: Now, I just need to learn 3 things.

Where is the nearest resturant?

You don't need to know how to ask for a restaurant. The restaurants in Japan are fairly obvious, due to the menus and displays of plastic food they tend to have visible from outside. That's one of my favorite things about Japan, actually. You know how much food is before walking in the door. I don't appreciate restaurant sticker shock. :(

You know what's more useful in Japan than the 3 sentences you just said? These words...

Sumimasen - (Soo-me-mah-sen) It basically can be used as either an apology, like if you bump into someone, or as excuse me, like if you're trying to get someone's attention.

Sore - (Soh-ray) Means sorta "that thing near you". For example, if you're asking a store clerk to get you something off a shelf. You can point and say sore.

Are - (Ah-ray) Means "that thing over there that's far from either me or you" kinda. So if you need something that's on the way on the other end of a shelf, you could point and say are.

Domo - I don't think I need to tell you guys how to say this word. It has a few uses, but for people here, you'd mainly use it as a "thanks". As an example, after a store clerk rings you up and you pay, afterwards they will typically bow and thank you for shopping at the store. To be polite, domo is a good word to say to follow up after that if you'd like.

You can get really far in Japan with only those words as a tourist.

Also, many foreigners just think the word for hello is konnichiwa. Yes and no. Konnichiwa really means good afternoon. You can say ohayou gozaimasu for good morning and konbanwa for good evening. :)

I don't think sounds of acknowledgement would annoy me.

What does annoy me is a thing people in New England, at least Massachusetts, do. (I've lived mostly in the south eastern and western and midwestern part of the US.)

But they do this thing where they will repeat the last word to nearly half of your sentence when they are talking to you.

Like for example. You'll say something like, "That Blizzard was crazy. It was really really snowy for days." and they will repeat your words right after you say them like, "... really really snowy for days, yeah." I wouldn't mind so much if it was after you said the sentence, but they do it WHILE you're talking.

It's almost like people from around here can't stop talking.

This thread was never intended to say that what he does is annoying or rude sounding. I don't know why people are coming here spouting out everything they know about Japanese culture with a "you just don't understand" attitude.
Everyone around the world acknowledges the speaker, it's not news to us. We're all humans, and we can pick up (no matter what the language) or general mannerisms. We're from different countries not planets, so I'm sure we would all appreciate if people didn't talk down to the non-Japanese in this thread. (Unless you were just excited to shout out everything you know)
The thread was just all in good fun and to express general fan-girlism.

This thread was never intended to say that what he does is annoying or rude sounding. I don't know why people are coming here spouting out everything they know about Japanese culture with a "you just don't understand" attitude.
Everyone around the world acknowledges the speaker, it's not news to us. We're all humans, and we can pick up (no matter what the language) or general mannerisms. We're from different countries not planets, so I'm sure we would all appreciate if people didn't talk down to the non-Japanese in this thread. (Unless you were just excited to shout out everything you know)
The thread was just all in good fun and to express general fan-girlism.

I don't think anyone was doing that. They were just talking about why he and other Japanese people do it. And the conversation just went from there to how people talk.

I don't think anyone was doing that. They were just talking about why he and other Japanese people do it. And the conversation just went from there to how people talk.

I agree with Schim on this.
No one was trying to talk down to anyone.
We were having a friendly discussion on the way people talk that's all.

I wouldnt be jealous of us europeans, the state of our second language skills are appalling (unless its English) The British are terrible when it comes to other languages. I guess we're lazy because most other european countries have english as their second so we can get by without it. Its a shame. Like Saratoga said, I did French and German in school but can only remember a few random sentences. I do rememeber how to say you are driving me round the bend in perfect German :D (i wonder why that is?)
I would love to learn Japanese though.

I smell BS. I'm kind of offended you're saying British are bad at language. I know in the East we're pretty good at other language.

I smell BS. I'm kind of offended you're saying British are bad at language. I know in the East we're pretty good at other language.

I never meant to offend you but we are reknowned for being bad at languages. Obviously there are exceptions to any generalisation and I'm glad you are fluent in other languages but you are one of the few. Our school systems don't take language skills very seriously, or start them early enough and the vast majority of kids leave school only being able to ask for a sandwich in french.

Back on topic I think its nice to hear differences in language and speech patterns. It would be a very boring world if we were all the same.

This is the same in Canada

Uhh...interesting thread haha. Saying "oh" like that is just part of being Japanese, and even when he speaks English it remains as a remnant of sorts. It is not his favorite phrase or anything like that though.

In Japan, it is considered polite/natural to continue to say "oh" and "un" to show that you are listening. In the US however, people are expected to stay quiet while listening. Just different things culturally. I barely notice it because we live together but I can see now how it could be a little confusing to those that have not met with people from other cultures. It has absolutely nothing to do with his language ability, as his English is very good.

This is by far the most strangest thread I've seen. I don't even get why it was made. :rolleyes:

Here in Canada when someone is speaking to us, while it is generally polite to be quiet, such as with someone older, we too at times say "oh" and "un" to show that we are listening, and we might even nod in agreement. I know I sometimes use things like "oh yeah,"uhmum," "yes," "ah huh," and "oh really?" Things like these show that we are listening too.

Lindsey, Kohei, I absolutely love your videos. This just makes them more cool and unique. I'm sure that if I were to make a video, you two would note things about the way I speak too. And you might just be able to pick them out now by what I wrote. Regardless, Love LOVE LOVE you two and your videos, keep them up. :)
Cheers, thanks and have a wonderful day. ;)

I'm in Upstate NY (Saratoga to be exact, what a coincidence) and you're usually expected to nod or give an "mhmm" or "okay" (the latter is more appropriate if someone is explaining something to you) to acknowledge that you're listening to someone speaking directly to you. Both Texans that I know will say "yeah" a LOT while you're speaking to them, probably for the same purpose. I never got around to asking.

Last edited:
I live in Italy. Here you start studying English right from the start when you are 6 and attend the 1st Elementary class.
You are not able to converse in English when you finish Elementary School though, five years later, you can only say basic sentences, introductions, numbers, days of the week and such.
When you are in Middle School you learn more advanced English and another language, usually French.
This is mandatory and the same for everyone.

Back on topic: I think Kohei's "Ooohh!"'s are cute :D

My first language is Spanish.
But from early on, I was out into bilingual classes, and I began conversing with friends in English, and now, to this day, you can barely notice that I have an accent, it only comes out when I'm mad or not paying much attention. Idk if its Florida that makes you learn English properly, but that's where I learned it. :) and I've always made small mods or sounds to let the person see that I acknowledge what they're saying

Back