• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Kohei's Oh's!

Haha oh come on, it's the perks of being considered a celebrity! After all, look at the ton of stuff people say of Pewdiepie and his Gf, and all those things he gets from his fans lol

I actually like when Lindsey has kohei talk throughout the videos, and then he tries to say some words that he's not so sure of, it's cute in that foreign type of way ^^ it's especially funny when he was in Gracie and he saw the price for the bed, all I could think of when he went "EHHHH?!" Is just some funny expressions!

Haha oh come on, it's the perks of being considered a celebrity! After all, look at the ton of stuff people say of Pewdiepie and his Gf, and all those things he gets from his fans lol

I actually like when Lindsey has kohei talk throughout the videos, and then he tries to say some words that he's not so sure of, it's cute in that foreign type of way ^^ it's especially funny when he was in Gracie and he saw the price for the bed, all I could think of when he went "EHHHH?!" Is just some funny expressions!

We all laughed. It was the highlight of the video tbh

We got that little jingle from a program on Mac where we edit the video. I believe it is called "Offroad short" :)

In Japan, it is considered polite/natural to continue to say "oh" and "un" to show that you are listening. In the US however, people are expected to stay quiet while listening. Just different things culturally. I barely notice it because we live together but I can see now how it could be a little confusing to those that have not met with people from other cultures. It has absolutely nothing to do with his language ability, as his English is very good.

My boyfriend is from a different culture and if he is talking and I stay completely quiet he thinks I'm not listening. In his culture it is also polite to make "sounds" of some sort while someone is talking to acknowledge their words. Now I am so used to it that I find it strange when people stay completely silent while I speak lol.

I hope topics like this don't make Kohei self conscious about it.

My boyfriend is from a different culture and if he is talking and I stay completely quiet he thinks I'm not listening. In his culture it is also polite to make "sounds" of some sort while someone is talking to acknowledge their words. Now I am so used to it that I find it strange when people stay completely silent while I speak lol.

I hope topics like this don't make Kohei self conscious about it.

I was taught to make some form of acknowledgement when you are listening to someone to let them know you are listening. Like it's usually a "yeah". I use a word and not a sound because a sound can sound dismissive. Sounds like "Mmm", "Mmmhmmm", can often come off as trying to seem like you're listening, but you're not. But I come from a place where being polite and conscious of peoples' feelings is a huge thing... so when I moved to a place that was notorious for being rude, it was quite a shock.

It's neat how culture can be different even in the same country.

We got that little jingle from a program on Mac where we edit the video. I believe it is called "Offroad short" :)

In Japan, it is considered polite/natural to continue to say "oh" and "un" to show that you are listening. In the US however, people are expected to stay quiet while listening. Just different things culturally. I barely notice it because we live together but I can see now how it could be a little confusing to those that have not met with people from other cultures. It has absolutely nothing to do with his language ability, as his English is very good.

My grandmother was Japanese, and she taught my mother to respond in the same way. In turn, my mother taught me to speak that way as well. I don't really say oh or un, but I usually just say, "yep" "mhmm" and "okay". I feel that it's better to respond to people while their talking as it shows you're taking an interest in what they're saying.

Don't a lot of countries require people to take English classes though? Even at a young age. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I don't know much about the subject. But I was under the impression that while a lot of people say, in the US, are required to take a High School or Middle School foreign language, a lot of other countries require English or at least have it available when kids are younger.

I never "Had" to take a second language class.
In my school that was optional as was Drama, Chorus, or Band.

I never "Had" to take a second language class.
In my school that was optional as was Drama, Chorus, or Band.
Same but I hope to major in a foriegn language and be a well rounded translator for international communications so I'm taking four languages. Sadly my school doesn't offer Japanese so I'm learning that on my own. Kinda difficult.

tumblr_lv1091VepU1r1x9m5.jpg

I honestly thought of this when I saw the topic title.

@ACking: Now, I just need to learn 3 things.

Where is the nearest resturant?
Where can I buy Candy and Fruit?
Where is the nearest hotel?

Than I'll be okay if I ever go to Japan and find someone who speaks in Romaji.

@Yano: That's funny!

@ACking: Now, I just need to learn 3 things.

Where is the nearest resturant?
Where can I buy Candy and Fruit?
Where is the nearest hotel?

Than I'll be okay if I ever go to Japan and find someone who speaks in Romaji.

You don't speak in romaji (as far as I know) it's just Japanese words written in roman letters. Lol.
And those might come in handy. Lol

For a second I was excited to try Kohei's new breakfast cereal. I'm a little disappointed :(

Aw dammit, Yano you beat me to the joke.

Last edited:
You don't speak in romaji (as far as I know) it's just Japanese words written in roman letters. Lol.
And those might come in handy. Lol

Yeah I choose those 3 questions because than I can just eat, sleep, and buy stuff!
LOL, it'd be funny if I really ever do go to Japan and do that.

Don't a lot of countries require people to take English classes though? Even at a young age. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I don't know much about the subject. But I was under the impression that while a lot of people say, in the US, are required to take a High School or Middle School foreign language, a lot of other countries require English or at least have it available when kids are younger.

This is the case with Japan (although it usually starts from jr. high, so from age 12 or so), but I cannot speak for other countries. But the way English is taught is beyond terrible...basically studying for the sole purpose of passing the exams that will come up for middle school, then high school then university etc... Nobody that takes English here comes out of the class speaking it to any degree, maybe they will recognize some words/grammar patterns but that is if they work hard and study themselves. Foreign language in the US varies a lot from school districts but it is essentially the same thing. How many people that took French/German/Spanish in middle school and high school can use it or remember most of it after graduation? That is Japan but a lot worse. I go to a international university in Japan and the level of English varies from beyond terrible to amazing, but those in the beyond terrible to pretty bad range are 90% Japanese people, with the remaining 10% usually being Chinese (believe it or not! was surprised by this myself). This has to do with a lot of factors though, usually families with more money will have more opportunities to study abroad and learn English, so they will usually speak it really well.

This is the case with Japan (although it usually starts from jr. high, so from age 12 or so), but I cannot speak for other countries. But the way English is taught is beyond terrible...basically studying for the sole purpose of passing the exams that will come up for middle school, then high school then university etc... Nobody that takes English here comes out of the class speaking it to any degree, maybe they will recognize some words/grammar patterns but that is if they work hard and study themselves. Foreign language in the US varies a lot from school districts but it is essentially the same thing. How many people that took French/German/Spanish in middle school and high school can use it or remember most of it after graduation? That is Japan but a lot worse. I go to a international university in Japan and the level of English varies from beyond terrible to amazing, but those in the beyond terrible to pretty bad range are 90% Japanese people, with the remaining 10% usually being Chinese (believe it or not! was surprised by this myself). This has to do with a lot of factors though, usually families with more money will have more opportunities to study abroad and learn English, so they will usually speak it really well.

I imagine it is harder to learn a language, especially one so far from your own (with English being Germanic and all), when there is little use for it in your daily life. I was always jealous of Europeans who can learn multiple languages and actually use them regularly because Europe is so small and so connected. It seems like the only language other than English that will get much use here in the states (depending on area, of course) is Spanish.

So I guess learning to speak English very well is desirable among companies that deal with English speaking people?

Back