• The first day of our new Mushroom Season event has passed, but things are just getting started. Read the update about changes made to the schedule, starting with day two. Be careful foraging and good luck!
  • Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

mental illnesses?

FTFY

Don't have any I can think of and haven't been diagnosed with any. When I was a lot younger I had some anger management issues, but surprisingly these days I'm a lot more calm and quiet.

Nice, editing my reply like that. Quite funny.

*snorts*

Nice, editing my reply like that. Quite funny.

*snorts*
12 year olds on coke. What has this world come to? Also nice on-topic response, it seems like you made that post only to provoke me and seek attention. In any case, feel free to reply again with another ignorant, snarky comment because you can't take a joke. I'll be the clearly more mature person and end this before it starts.

I believe nobody has a mental illness or disorder until they are diagnosed by a professional. Self-diagnosing yourself is one of the most ignorant (and in some cases attention-seeking) things you can do.

Last edited:
I was diagnosed by a professional. It's made life hard, but I can almost believe I'm normal.
I'm lucky to not have a ver severe case of Aspergers/ASD.

This may not be the place to talk about this, but I really need some help at the moment. I've gone into relapse with my eating disorder. I can't bring myself to eat. I've had about 300 calories in the past 3 days. I don't feel like I can talk to my family because they just get annoyed about it. I really don't know what to do... I feel like I'm on the verge passing out all the time, but I just can't bring myself to eat...

This may not be the place to talk about this, but I really need some help at the moment. I've gone into relapse with my eating disorder. I can't bring myself to eat. I've had about 300 calories in the past 3 days. I don't feel like I can talk to my family because they just get annoyed about it. I really don't know what to do... I feel like I'm on the verge passing out all the time, but I just can't bring myself to eat...
I'm far from a professional on the subject but I suggest you see one, since they will help you more than anybody could. My advice? Find a way to drive yourself to eat something, because eventually you will have to. Do something you enjoy, or watch something that inspires you, or really anything that you can think of that will help you eat. But seeking professional help is your best bet.

I'm far from a professional on the subject but I suggest you see one, since they will help you more than anybody could. My advice? Find a way to drive yourself to eat something, because eventually you will have to. Do something you enjoy, or watch something that inspires you, or really anything that you can think of that will help you eat. But seeking professional help is your best bet.

Finally, we agree on something. I was about to post, but you said it quicker.

Diagnosed with depression and severe anxiety. It's easy to bring me down, scare me off, and make me cry. I'm currently a shut-in since my anxiety is at its highest. But if I don't go outside I know its just going to get worse. Company makes me happy, but I also feel like I don't deserve it when I'm down, so I avoid people for awhile until I feel normal. I only have one person looking out for me and it's my boyfriend. I'm always anxious he might leave me someday cause of how difficult I am.

Finally, we agree on something. I was about to post, but you said it quicker.
Okay? Did you really have to post that then?

Also Kerys, if your family is inconsiderate about your disorder, talk to your friends and others who are close to you. If they are truly your friends they'll understand, and will be there for you and help you start more regular eating habits. Even if you don't realize or believe it, there will always be someone who cares, even if you don't know them.

Last edited:

Also Kerys, if your family is inconsiderate about your disorder, talk to your friends and others who are close to you. If they are truly your friends they'll understand, and will be there for you and help you start more regular eating habits. There will always be someone who cares, even if you don't even know them.

Just trying to be kind, jeez.

I`m sorry to hear you going through this. I`m far from experienced in this area, but I did spend a lot of time with people who used to suffer from eating disorders and I`ve seen how hard it is to deal with. Thats also my advice really. Seek contact with other people dealing with this. Things like support groups, maybe online contact via mail, etc. It can really help talking to someone who has went through the same thing.

Don`t give up on your parents or other family to soon. They might understand or sympathize more then you think. Their annoyance might just as easily be pure concern over your wellbeing. Its important to keep communication open with those who care for you. When I think back to how people at my workplace dealt with it, they also had to force themselves to eat, but did so by making it a less big transition. As in still eating, but not as much as you would normally, or maybe something more tasty. They would compensate it by eating slightly more often a day. Find a way that works for you. Invite family or a friend and eat out for example if that helps for you.

I saw people go through hell because they couldnt get themselves to eat. Its hard to understand for an outsider like me, but do know that I hope you find a way to bounce back. Sometimes a person has to break through their own barriers to keep up the fight. Just don`t forget that even when you have to do it yourself in the end, there are always possibilities to find support. Since I dont know where you live, i can`t recommend a place to go, but in Holland I would know the perfect place for you.Im sure these places also can be found abroad.

Also Kerys, if your family is inconsiderate about your disorder, talk to your friends and others who are close to you. If they are truly your friends they'll understand, and will be there for you and help you start more regular eating habits. Even if you don't realize or believe it, there will always be someone who cares, even if you don't know them.
Thank you, it really means a lot.
I'm going away with my friend tomorrow, hopefully I'll be better around people. I don't know. I'm trying so hard but I just can't. I got sent to an eating disorder unit before but they really didn't help... It's been two years of trying to deal with it alone and it's slowly killing me.

Just trying to be kind, jeez.
And that's completely fine by me, just don't post in threads like it's your blog (just like that post) unless you have something that relates/contributes to the thread.

I have a few friends with mental disorders, as well as one or two that act as if they do to seek pity and attention from others, and that really disgusts me. I guess they just fail to understand the seriousness of a mental disorder, and think they can just play the victim if someone points out their ignorant and offensive actions.

I`m sorry to hear you going through this. I`m far from experienced in this area, but I did spend a lot of time with people who used to suffer from eating disorders and I`ve seen how hard it is to deal with. Thats also my advice really. Seek contact with other people dealing with this. Things like support groups, maybe online contact via mail, etc. It can really help talking to someone who has went through the same thing.

Don`t give up on your parents or other family to soon. They might understand or sympathize more then you think. Their annoyance might just as easily be pure concern over your wellbeing. Its important to keep communication open with those who care for you. When I think back to how people at my workplace dealt with it, they also had to force themselves to eat, but did so by making it a less big transition. As in still eating, but not as much as you would normally, or maybe something more tasty. They would compensate it by eating slightly more often a day. Find a way that works for you. Invite family or a friend and eat out for example if that helps for you.

I saw people go through hell because they couldnt get themselves to eat. Its hard to understand for an outsider like me, but do know that I hope you find a way to bounce back. Sometimes a person has to break through their own barriers to keep up the fight. Just don`t forget that even when you have to do it yourself in the end, there are always possibilities to find support. Since I dont know where you live, i can`t recommend a place to go, but in Holland I would know the perfect place for you.Im sure these places also can be found abroad.

Thank you so much. I've tried to talk to other people with EDs but I feel like one of us always seems to relapse and trigger the other and I don't want to be a trigger to anyone else. I'd feel so guilty. I live in England... It's all a bit **** over here.
I might give it a little more time and if I can't sort it out myself, then talk to my family again.. I can't deal with all the **** I'll get from them...
Thank you again. It really does mean a lot.

I would like to blather something out that may or may not be that important.

But I'm tired of taking all these pills. I'm so tired. I take like five every morning. Three of them are the same medication- they just don't make a higher dosage pill, I guess.

It just looks like so much sometimes. Like I literally just take meds by the handful and it's disheartening. Like 'oh, look how messed up I am I need all these drugs to feel normal'.

ffffff.

I believe nobody has a mental illness or disorder until they are diagnosed by a professional. Self-diagnosing yourself is one of the most ignorant (and in some cases attention-seeking) things you can do.

I honestly don't think self-diagnosing is that bad. There are situations for why people can't see a professional. Besides, self-diagnosing can be the first step to getting help. If I never thought I had depression I would've never gone to see a doctor. I know there are some people who are too poor/busy to see a professional. My friend worries she has borderline personality disorder but she can't get a professional diagnosis because her mother will treat her terribly if she found out she was mentally ill. I think as long as they're doing it respectfully and they have researched it then it's fine. I think some self diagnosing autistics don't want autism to be on the public record or something y'know, since they don't want that to stop them from getting a job. (Ex: The employer sees they have autism and doesn't want to hire them) or something like that. I'm fine with people self-diagnosing depression for themselves if they truly feel they have it. I mean if they're doing it to be trendy and cool, then yes I would be really annoyed. but idk. I think there's a difference between people who self-diagnose because they think mental illness is cool and people who truly believe they have something.

I honestly don't think self-diagnosing is that bad. There are situations for why people can't see a professional. Besides, self-diagnosing can be the first step to getting help. If I never thought I had depression I would've never gone to see a doctor. I know there are some people who are too poor/busy to see a professional. My friend worries she has borderline personality disorder but she can't get a professional diagnosis because her mother will treat her terribly if she found out she was mentally ill. I think as long as they're doing it respectfully and they have researched it then it's fine. I think some self diagnosing autistics don't want autism to be on the public record or something y'know, since they don't want that to stop them from getting a job. (Ex: The employer sees they have autism and doesn't want to hire them) or something like that. I'm fine with people self-diagnosing depression for themselves if they truly feel they have it. I mean if they're doing it to be trendy and cool, then yes I would be really annoyed. but idk. I think there's a difference between people who self-diagnose because they think mental illness is cool and people who truly believe they have something.
I completely agree with you. What I meant by self-diagnosing is believing 100% that you have x disorder, and you go around telling people and yourself that you have it even though you haven't been to a professional for a proper diagnosis. There's nothing wrong with researching and thinking you have a mental disorder, it usually speeds up the process of getting a professional diagnosis, which in turn starts the process of treating and controlling it sooner. But taking it to the next level and believing that you have it and making others believe you have it too is unacceptable to me unless you've been diagnosed by a professional. Of course some disorders and illnesses are much easier to spot and diagnose (such as depression), but that doesn't exclude those who think they have one of the more obvious ones to not seek a professional diagnosis.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I've tried to talk to other people with EDs but I feel like one of us always seems to relapse and trigger the other and I don't want to be a trigger to anyone else. I'd feel so guilty. I live in England... It's all a bit **** over here.
I might give it a little more time and if I can't sort it out myself, then talk to my family again.. I can't deal with all the **** I'll get from them...
Thank you again. It really does mean a lot.

Generally people join support groups to get and give support to eachother, so please don`t be afraid to trigger others. When you do feel bad you can tell them your experience and how you try to cope with it, that might help them next time they face it. There is strength in numbers as they say, instead of looking at it from a downward spiral viewpoint, maybe in a way you can also see you can give eachother learning opportunities and chances to grow.

I have lead a support group shortly and if one thing is important it is that you can share everything and you help eachother. But if it is not your cup of tea, thats possible ofcourse. Best of luck :)n

I have depression, social anxiety, general anxiety, ADHD, and dysphoria, which is like bipolar disorder.

100% agree, if I has never accepted that I may be bipolar I would never be at the stage I'm at now. I did take a few online tests (with a big pinch of salt) and then told my mum about my concerns. I got a professional diagnosis and my life is a bit better now

Back