• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Model Homes

PaisleyMouse

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Pear (Fruit)
October Birthstone (Opal)
Just wondering if anyone can tell me if the only way to populate the model home area is from street passing. What if you don't street pass? Will that area be empty? Just curious.

I'm pretty sure the only way to get people it via street pass and if you can't streetpass it'll just be empty

Yeah, I'm bummed about that one. I live in the middle of nowhere and don't think I'll be able to street pass with anyone. Perhaps when I drive into town I can put my 3ds in the glove box of my car? Hopefully, street pass works at distances greater than 20 feet. Mayble I'll pass someone else with AC:NL at the mall or on the highway? I have a feeling my future Model home area is going to be pretty grim and empty.

I think I read that in the best conditions street pass works up to 100ft. I live in a pretty small town and my closest mall is over an hour away. I would make the trip just to get some street passes, but I'm afraid I still wouldn't get that many. I'd love to hear from someone who knows for sure what the details are.

Yeah, I'm bummed about that one. I live in the middle of nowhere and don't think I'll be able to street pass with anyone. Perhaps when I drive into town I can put my 3ds in the glove box of my car? Hopefully, street pass works at distances greater than 20 feet. Mayble I'll pass someone else with AC:NL at the mall or on the highway? I have a feeling my future Model home area is going to be pretty grim and empty.

apparently the maximum distance for streetpass is 100 feet :)

I live near Tokyo and I have my place absolutely full. There are some awesome houses that these busy Japanese have been making. I think there is no other way unless you have the street pass. I feel my own house is a little small and not unique in comparison. I can post some pictures. I need an excuse to nosy round the other houses.

You can also see the other person's avatar walking around. I've seen some cool costumes too.

@Paisley Mouse: I'm in the same boat. Nearest mall for me is just under 1.5 hours away. I normally go into the city 3-5 times a year and that's it- but when I have ACNL I'll have to remember to take my 3DS along and hope for the best. It should make going into the city that much more fun (and make dealing with city traffic better, too- perhaps the cars I'll be stuck next too will have street pass- bahaha!)

Yes me too. My husband has joked about how I'm going to become some weirdo lady and creep by schools hoping kids have theirs on them and I can get some streetpasses that way. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll be pleasantly surprised at how many street pass hits I get in my own town.

You could go to a Gamestop or any other video game stores. You might get lucky there. I got a lot of street pass hits at a Star Wars Convention this past summer.

I'm just gonna add this in, but where I live there are seriously like 5 houses near me and that's it

if I want to get a street pass (or even just go shopping at the mall and stuff) I have to go on a 1-2 hour journey (depending on traffic and train times etc) to go to the city. I mean, on the times I do leave and I do bring my 3DS, I only got 3 streetpasses MAX but I mean, there's no point complaining, I say just go out and do it, hope you get streetpasses :)

I took some photos, I might take some more of the more wonderful houses. They're so much better than mine.

HNI_0038.JPG
When there's people in the Model Home place the avatar will appear. You can see their ID and what badges they have. You can also check out their funky outfits. When you speak to them they'll tell you where their house is and will say the phrase that you typed in your ID card.
HNI_0041.JPG
One house's living room.

HNI_0043.JPG
HNI_0044.JPG
Time-travelling cheaters
HNI_0046.JPG
Some outside houses are really pretty.

And there's more...

HNI_0045.JPG
Mermaid bedroom
HNI_0047.JPG
Golden room with random items
HNI_0048.JPG
Harvest Items room
HNI_0050.JPG
Another random room but so many goodies, there's a Link outfit in the corner and wig with ears at the top and lots of Super Mario items.

I have no idea how they got most of these. Except the balloon stuff are gifts from the dropped balloon presents.

Yeah you can spot the cheaters really easily. It's quite bad how many houses have the Christmas items already. As my photo shows it's definitely still November in my game world. I don't think you can leave a comment on the house, although you can still see some people's friend's code so for anyone that don't want random requests might not want to switch this function on.

Jake-I'm hoping I'll be surprised at how many people play this game in my area. You bet I'll be trying to hunt them down ;)

Mz_D - Thanks so much for the pictures! I can see how this feature would really be awesome if you get a nice variety of players homes to look through.

I'm hoping that a bunch of students on campus will play. I'm not at a big college or anything, but I feel like at least one person in the anime club that I used to go to would play it xD that is what I hope anyway.
After I'm out of college, though, then I imagine I would just bring my 3ds with me to wherever it is that I happen to work (if I find a job ._.) and hope I get street passes through that :p Otherwise I think I'm probably sorta screwed, but only because I practically never leave my house, haha. I'm lucky that I've got shopping centers and malls within a half hour drive from my house. I could probably get street passes in there.

I have to wonder if I'll ever happen upon a really neat house or character. I feel like no one I would street pass with would have a really cool house xD oh well. I guess we'll see

Well, it makes sense in one way. Japan kinda considers the Christmas decorating season to go from November 1 to December 25 (and, yes, they're very weird about it - you won't see any decorations still on the 26th like you do in the US!). So some people kinda want that already.

I was out shopping in Akihabara last weekend and one store was blasting Christmas music. Yes, in English.

When I get my US version (waiting for due to my Japanese not being great despite living here plus I have a US 3DS), I don't plan to time travel even to get cool stuff like this. I only time travel in AC games to go back if I get busy one day and don't get time to play and I miss some sort of event, then I'll time travel forward just to get back to the present day so I can be back to normal.

Q:
I get that everyone has diffract home styles.
Do we start with the same style home?

We get new styles from street pass, I get that, but if we all had the same one to begin with where did they cone from then?

Last Q: can I edit and or design my own home?

Back