• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

◄ | Nat's GFX Gallery | ► NEW 9/20

New thread banner! Last one... hopefully lol
Though I'll probably make one or two more. xD

15YxrKw.png

Went all out on saturation and burning... for obvious reasons. The burn tool also allows me to create a shadow effect without using lighting which I think is pretty cool. Only the hottest of hot for FlamDawg amirite??​

Last edited:
Finished another one!
This one is boring af

5DX2B1v.png

Buuut I didn't know what else I could do with it...
Last thread banner for now.​

Quick preview of a ref sheet I'm making.

uDkfUJa.png

(Char is not mine btw!!!)

Obviously this isn't final or anything. There's a headshot I need to include but I'm not sure where to put it...
Was thinking bottom left corner obv but I'd have to make it smaller to fit so there'd be like extra space. .___.​

Finished the ref!

wQ3GhlO.png

Definitely not fond of this one. Meh...​

I should check to see if dramatic effects like glowing/shining/flaming/ect are possible with PSP 8. All the other GFX artists use it and I'm just over here like ._____.

Hey Nat, I like how your banner style is simple and clean, which is good. It's also great that you feature drawings by other artists. They look quite nice overall, and your backgrounds are also pleasant to look at (especially when you use an animation, like in this one)! I've noticed that you seem to prefer making the render stick out rather than blend in, though. Like, you'll put a glow around the subject. This draws attention to it, which is what you'd generally want to do, but it would be a good idea to try out blending the render and the background together as well. That would make this piece look a lot more natural, for example. And contrary to popular belief, blending isn't just achieved by smudging; blending can be achieved by coloring the entire piece the same way, so you don't need a fancy program like PS or GIMP to do it ;-]

Ultimately, I'm suggesting this to you because making sure the final product looks cohesive is important. As they are now, they look like you simply took a render and then put it on a background, even though I'm sure you put more work into it than that.

Ah, also, another thing I've noticed is that your graphics normally look pretty barren. I have no idea if you're even that fond of adding effects, but giving it a whirl would be a good idea! Who knows, you could even come up with something you really like. Adding resources such as C4Ds, fractals, and textures can provide a lot of personality to your graphics, and you really only need layer styles to use them well. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure PSP has them... but then again, I haven't used PSP for anything in a long time so you'll have to correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, C+C aside, I'm sure you'll get better with time, because it's pretty obvious that you've got some creative ideas. The rainbow border on this Splatoon tag, for instance, is genius. I'm also seeing frequent usage of extra effects such as drop shadow, stroke, and etc. So you definitely have the capability to improve! Miharu has already mentioned before that you should consider getting GIMP, so I'm not going to say much about switching programs, but if you do ever get a newer laptop and have the desire to make better graphics and/or obtain access to more features I wholeheartedly recommend taking the plunge and going for GIMP. It's relentless towards beginners, I know, but you will thank yourself in the future haha. Adapting to it doesn't take THAT long, especially since there are so many courses and tutorials that can aid you. GIMP does have those dramatic effects you mentioned, after all. (Though I think you CAN get them with PSP if you download/install a plug-in. Maybe google "paint shop pro plugins" or something like that? A few helpful results may pop up.)

Oh, and before I forget- I love your ref sheets. I don't make them myself so I can't offer anything constructive (sorry!), especially about your problems with the latest one, but I'm eager to see more :-]
Keep up the work!

Hey, thanks so much for the advice!

Yeah I usually do like making a certain render the main focus of whatever I'm making, mostly because I'm trying to show it off. Often times I will just slap a render on a background and add some shadows, blurring, or whatever, mainly because it's just some simple piece for me that I'm not really all that into. Some pieces, like the Splatoon banner, I do go all out with effects and everything. Same goes when I'm making something for someone else.

I do wish I could add effects but sadly PSP8 doesn't have things like that. It has basic stuff like balls and bubbles, chrome and leather effects, sunburst effects, ect. that don't really ever seem useful. I went looking for plugins a few days ago but all I found were filter things, and all they did was change the color of the piece.

I'm actually going to give GIMP another try since (as strange as it sounds) I've never actually tried making graphics with it. I used it for rendering before I learned how to save as transparent in PSP and I didn't really like the controls/layout so I gave up on it. I'll see what I can do with it though, so I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of new stuff since I go crazy when I learn something new!

I'm making a new banner now and I'm going to try adding some textures. I rarely use them since they don't seem to do much except for give a bit of a boost to an otherwise plain background (the background of Alex's ref sheet is plain grey with a leather texture, for example). Hopefully I'll be able to take your advice into consideration and better myself!

A random crappy banner I just whipped up to match my current avi:

shkIg2U.gif

Maybe if I ever clear my shop slots I could actually sit down and have time to figure out GIMP.​

New bump banner! I literally just threw it together but I still like it.

PMkYEgf.gif

I have a question its prob gonna sound stupid but what is that snip thing that the artist do?

Just finished this. Really happy with how it turned out since it's not all "plain" like the others.

u0s2c9w.png

This is an inside joke between me and a friend of mine. She invited me to her graduation open house a few months ago and I helped her set up and everything. At one point she reached into a cooler to grab a drink and exclaimed, "AHHH the ice is COLD!!" and literally everyone in the room stopped and turned to her and one of her friends was like, "you don't say?". So now to this day whenever she brings up being cold I reference to this.​

Pretty good! Try blurring out the cut off parts of her though. This makes it look less like a bunch of pictures placed on top of each other and more like a cohesive graphic. Also, there are brown spots on her nose and on the left side of her glasses? Get rid of those. It throws off the vibe for me. But yeah, this is a really nice piece otherwise!

Fixed!

mnqQtn2.png

I didn't realize there were spots everywhere. Apparently it was because that's just how the picture was so when I used the change to color tool it didn't do anything. Also I honestly planned to blur the edges but by the time I got everything ready I forgot. xD Smudged the edges and blurred them.​

Back