Nintendo Switch Lite Officially Announced

Considering that you cannot do a hard wire (ethernet) connection for online play (from what we know so far), it definitely will not be the same experience for competitive players (not just in Smash, any game) unless you have a killer router (along with a good internet plan) that can do multiple gigabits per second (gbps). Even in LAN scenarios, the Switch Lite will not stack up since it lacks ethernet capability. This concern can be completely mute though if it is still possible to use an ethernet cable using a USB-A to USB-C adapter or a straight-up USB-C ethernet adapter.

Not to mention that without a dock or the capability to dock, you are unable to use a GameCube controller or (I assume?) the Pro Controller because those are connected via USB to the dock. Which leaves one with the Joy-Con sort of controller set-up. There are probably competitive players out there who use the Joy-Cons, some people used the Wiimote, but I don't know if it would be really great or optimal. To be honest, due to left Joy-Con's reputation for drifting, I barely ever use my Joy-Cons for anything so I can't really speak to if it is any good in this situation.

Edit: It seems you are able to use the Pro Controller when undocked, at least. So I guess that would be an option.

(Also just for future reference, the word you'd want to use there is moot, not mute. Sorry, force of habit.)

Last edited:
smaller more compact model that ditches tv play and has an actual d-pad?

nintendo literally just gave me exactly what I wanted for a cheaper switch. bonus points too for being entirely colorful, instead of just the joycon areas

turquoise will be my pick, unless something else I like more shows up in the time before I get

ps, should be called the nintendo -switch (pronounced minus switch) the nintendo switch less imo. since there's not much switching going on anymore

Last edited:
I don’t see any point of this… so it’s just handheld only um the other Nintendo Switch can be handheld too. I know it has three new colours or you can get a Pokemon sword and shield one. But really I don’t care

It’s just another way for Nintendo to make more money. :)

I think it's pretty nice for people to get a Switch who are looking to get only one or two games (like people who want New Horizons but don't have a Switch) and people who don't see themselves using the home docking station. I think the colors are pretty cute too and I'm kinda jealous I don't have it for my normal switch lol. You won't lose the joycons either!

I don’t see any point of this… so it’s just handheld only um the other Nintendo Switch can be handheld too. I know it has three new colours or you can get a Pokemon sword and shield one. But really I don’t care

It’s just another way for Nintendo to make more money. :)

everything a business does is a way to make more money. though this is simply something for people that can't afford the full switch model or don't care for tv play, such as myself. plus perhaps people with younger kids, since you don't have to worry about joycons getting lost or damaged like this

also I'm not sure of the exact dimensional specs, but the smaller screen could make it closer to being an actual handheld too (regular switch is portable, but much too large to be considered a handheld imo)

Last edited:
That's cool. Not for me, I'm happy with my Switch. Non-removable joy-cons is a no-go for my gaming style, but I think young kids might have an easier time with it. The normal Switch is really big in small hands. Feels like double the Gameboy Advance. But at least it has some color. I saw the mock up pink one and really loved it. But I don't want a smaller version, or a bigger version for that matter. Unless you make it foldable I have no need for new mechanics and such. I rather have new joycon colors, and maybe cheaper. Or in bundles with certain games.

This is a very welcome announcement! The regular Switch is expensive for me (and too big for my smol hands) so the Switch lite is perfect. I like how they used colours of Minecraft ores, wonder if they'll drop more.

basically announced the death of the 3ds ;w;

on a lighter note, I do think it's appealing but I'm not sure if I'll get it since my sister already has a Switch.

I already own a Switch but these look quite sweet! It's cool to see some different colors, the turquoise one looks especially refreshing. Being cheaper must be convenient too, I'd imagine it'll make it more accessible to people.

I really hope they fix the issue with the drifting. I would hate to be stuck with drifting sticks on the new model. At least you can easily replace the joycons on the original model if they break (my right joycon is way overdue for a replacement).

The pink and blue is cute, but this feels like a step backwards. It's just a lesser Switch and if they still didn't fix the drifting issues...

When the Switch Lite comes out on the same date where lots of people apparently wants to raid Area 51.

Well, I already own a Switch, so no interest for me here. Only thing I hope is that Nintendo gonna release
one day Joy-Cons in the same beautiful turquoise as they use for that one Lite model.

Back