Possibly an odd question...

I would like to point out that games like Mario Odessey exist and are made specifically for the switch and have fully 3D worlds. Other examples include but are not limited to Monster Hunter Rise, Dragon Quest XI, Story of Seasons Pioneers of Olive Town, and Zelda Breath of the Wild.

It is absolutely not a graphics/hardware limitation thing.
I disagree completely.
The game right now can get very laggy and choppy depending on what's on the island.
The game does a lot to make it run smoother such as not modelling the backs of things and not rendering items and environments when you're not there.

If this game had a 3d camera, this would all fall apart. And the game would run at like 2 frames a second

Now I'm not saying its not a stylistic choice, but I do firmly believe that technical limitations would have stopped them making it a fully 3d experience

You can see in the video above all they have done to make the game run smoothly. And it doesn't even run smoothly XD

I disagree completely.
The game right now can get very laggy and choppy depending on what's on the island.
The game does a lot to make it run smoother such as not modelling the backs of things and not rendering items and environments when you're not there.

If this game had a 3d camera, this would all fall apart. And the game would run at like 2 frames a second

Now I'm not saying its not a stylistic choice, but I do firmly believe that technical limitations would have stopped them making it a fully 3d experience

You can see in the video above all they have done to make the game run smoothly. And it doesn't even run smoothly XD

Well, I totally agree with you in terms of ACNH! If a game isn't designed for it, then of course it won't run smoothly. But the games that are designed for it will run smoothly. I would expect to see little to no lag in the new Mario Golf game which looks like it should have a fully free standing rating camera. The most lag I expect to see in that game would be during online play.

I haven't really seen a game that has absolutely no lag anywhere unless you have a super beefed up massive supercomputer.

It would be interesting to see an Animal Crossing with a 3D camera because it would be designed for it and should have little to no lag because of it.

I would like to point out that games like Mario Odessey exist and are made specifically for the switch and have fully 3D worlds. Other examples include but are not limited to Monster Hunter Rise, Dragon Quest XI, Story of Seasons Pioneers of Olive Town, and Zelda Breath of the Wild.

It is absolutely not a graphics/hardware limitation thing.

I understand the inclination to want to compare it to other Switch games. I have played a couple of the games you've mentioned, and I don't know enough about game development to explain why other 3D open world games are different. I imagine there is some reason because New Horizons shows some signs of being limited by the hardware.

The first is the loading times, from when a player starts the game to just going in and out of buildings. I know many players are accustomed to loading times, but the newer consoles (PS5/Xbox Series) reduce loading times dramatically.

When I place a lot of objects outside, I've noticed pop-in and frame rate drops.

There's a YouTube video that shows what is "out of bounds" when you rotate the camera outside in NH. This is what I was referencing when I mentioned it not rendering all angles. Here's a screenshot from the video.

screenshot.jpg

Last edited:
Back