• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Question about Char fish

1HappyRobot

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
I realize the Char is "rare" but I've read the Shark is more rare and I've caught about 3 of them in the last 90 minutes but have yet to find a Char under any waterfall.

My question is, does the Char spawn directly under the waterfall or in the body of water surrounding the waterfall?

Edit:Sorry I didn't see the ask questions here thread.

Last edited:
It usually stays up close to the water fall which is why it is less likely to appear compared to the shark, which has several locations it can appear along a beach. and just for the record unless you have time traveled it is out of season right now.

Looking at the wiki it says to catch the Giant Snakehead, you need a giant pond, I only have one and It's like medium. Is that what it means or is it that big bit in the river?

It say's it's in season right now on this site o.o
http://acwiki3ds.wikispaces.com/Fish

And one of my villagers asked me to get it for them.

I just got my info from the "Prima Guide" which says March through April and October. However since I hate Prima because their books are often filled with several errors, and I never trust Wiki sites because they can be edited by anyone without any fact checking. I honestly dont know a reliable source to check for this question. But I do stick to my statement that the odds of a specific fish appearing near the water fall (which is only a very small section on the map) is much smaller than the odds of a fish appearing anywhere in the ocean (which is pretty much a quarter of your entire map), I say keep walking past the waterfall looking for shadows, and hope for the best.

Looking at the wiki it says to catch the Giant Snakehead, you need a giant pond, I only have one and It's like medium. Is that what it means or is it that big bit in the river?
The "Giant" pond would be the biggest pond in your town, if you only have one pond then it is by default the biggest pond in your town. Just for the record the "Prima guide" says the Giant Snakehead is in the lake, not the pond so you may want to check both. (FYI The Lake is the biggest section of the river.)

Last edited:
I caught a char earlier this week, and I haven't time traveled more than 24 hours (ahead, then back to actual time). I caught it while standing on a cliff looking down at the waterfall going into the sea. I cast at the bottom of the waterfall, in the splash zone, and caught it.

I didn't realize it was a char until I reeled it in, because while in the water it looked a little smaller than I would expect.

In WW I caught the Giant Snakehead in the big bend of the river, not in the holding ponds. I wonder if the Char shows up in the upper and lower waterfall or just the upper one. I haven't caught either one in ACNL yet.

I caught a char earlier this week, and I haven't time traveled more than 24 hours (ahead, then back to actual time). I caught it while standing on a cliff looking down at the waterfall going into the sea. I cast at the bottom of the waterfall, in the splash zone, and caught it.

I didn't realize it was a char until I reeled it in, because while in the water it looked a little smaller than I would expect.

I just caught my Char at the same place :)

Awesome News about both catches. I didn't even think about the small waterfall by the ocean. I'm going to start paying more attention to that area now. heh heh

and proof of the first error found in the Prima Guide.

By the way, the Prima guide says "best appearance" so it's not stating that's the only times you can catch those fish/bugs just the best times.

As for the Snakehead I caught it in the large round part of the river (lake I guess). So far I've only had a frog and tadpole from my ponds.

I have 3 Japanese. guide books & the prima one. The Japanese ones have Char in season March - June & Sept - November. The prima guides say BEST time is March, April & October...missleading.

Yeah, I'm not liking the "best times" that the prima guide shows, but it does show it in the June Wildlife guide. It usually shows up in the mornings and evenings (which I believe is 4:00-8:59 both AM and PM).

By the way, the Prima guide says "best appearance" so it's not stating that's the only times you can catch those fish/bugs just the best times.

LOL lawyer speak for "when we are wrong we covered our butts by claiming 'best appearance'." and if claiming best appearance is 8% at their stated times does that mean that now the chances are lower than 8%? heh heh I miss the days of "Nintendo Power" game guides. of course they had a few errors as well, but not near as many as prima or brady.

It's rare..? I found like 3 my two days.. and I didn't even fish that much

I think luck is different for everyone, I see so many people saying how rare sharks are for them and I swear I must have had like 100+

I have yet to catch a Char though.. :(

Caught another one tonight.

Attachments

• HNI_0008.JPG
    HNI_0008.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 48
Char is NOT out of season. Caught one the first day I got the fishing rod. Actually was like the 4th fish I caught and I am glad too because of so much trouble i am hearing people are having with finding this fish. Must have just gotten lucky.

Back