• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Question for the adults who play...

I don't think I've ever gotten a shocked look when I pull out my 3DS, but I've definitely gotten looks. I look younger than I actually am though, (I'm 20) so I guess it's not really a surprise to people.

So I am just curious if anyone you passed on the street would think you are:
a) A Gamer?
I'm not sure what people expect when they see me. I don't think it really surprises anyone, I'm a 33 year old goth chick with hair past my waist, I get judged anyway. When I tell people like coworkers (I do accounting and IT) I am a gamer, they are positive and curious, even the guys. I've gotten more shocked looks and teasing for having a black belt in kung fu than for the gaming hobby.

b) Would be carrying your 3DS to street pass?
My SO teased me until we went to a retro gaming convention and I got like 45 streetpasses at once. He thought the connectivity was pretty cool after that. I've had to explain what it is and what I'm playing when on the train or at the airport, but given the fact everyone plays angry birds on their smart phone, the 3ds isn't that weird anymore.

c) Would be playing AC:NL?
I'm a girl, it is categorized as a girly game. So yeah, people expect if a girl is gaming she's playing peggle, sims, that fashion game on 3ds or animal crossing. Sad, but that is the way the world is right now, it's still a 'boys hobby' according to the mainstream. I play a mud, WOW, JRPGS and console games, those that know me realize I play a bit of everything so it's not a surprise.

Yep...Like we care what the mainstream thinks. If I did, I wouldn't be a punk biker..

I am a 36 y.o. mum with two kids... somehow, people assume that the games I buy are for them, even when said games are 14+, 16+ or ... :confused: My friends know I am a gamer, as many of them are too, but for other people, it is strange. I get weird looks, especially since my 3DS is the Pikachu XL, protected by a leather-like sleeve that looks more like a wallet than like a console ^^;

I doubt it, baha. I doubt people would expect a girl like me, who is quite girly on the exterior, to play games. But if they did expect me to play games I guess Animal Crossing wouldn't be far off since it's a cute-looking game.

Where I live, it's not really unusual for adults to be gamers. For us to be playing the 3ds, maybe, haha! But just playing video games? I would assume most adults I meet just on the street are gamers whether they have "the look" of one or not. I mean, my father is a 50-something year old business man and he loves video games! :p So to me, that's not really a niche thing, I guess. I am only 22, though, so I may not be what you're referring to when you say "adult." xD

People do, however, tend to seem surprised when I say I play ds/3ds or especially games like this. I don't know why, but I guess I come off as more of a PC, MMO player? /Imanerd ^_^ But I really feel like Animal Crossing players defy typical stereotypes that Nintendo games tend to attract!

A gamer? Maybe a bit surprised, but probably not totally shocked. I'm in my early 30s and look rather young, and when I'm not dressed for work in business-casual attire, I tend to wear jeans and retro tees (which I collect). I do love girly stuff like lipgloss and nail polish, though.

Carry my 3DS with me for StreetPass? Usually I don't, as I'm carrying enough stuff with me as it is, and I'd hate to lose it! :) It has come to work with me occasionally, though...my co-workers aren't really surprised, as many of them (esp. those my age and younger) are gamers, or at least casual gamers.

Surprised I play AC? Nah, I love animals (I volunteer at a shelter and have 3 of my own) and cutesy stuff, so most who know me would say AC is right up my alley. :)

A gamer? I doubt it because I always try to be discreet about my gaming habits unless I know the persons, so if I take out my 3ds in public and I'm alone it is just for quick things. I dont think Im really the stereotype of a gamer girl so I guess many never realize it.

Carry my 3DS with me for StreetPass? Yes I always carry my 3ds around.

Surprised I play AC? Nope, the people who knows what kind of game I enjoy would expect I play AC.

But sometimes I get from some people the usual "you never stopped playing games" and the "you never change!" like if it was a bad thing I like gaming. Strange people.

Well I'm not that old, but it seems like a lot of people assume dark skin people don't play Animal Crossing or own a 3ds

No, to all 3. Most of my co-workers didn't know I liked to play, until they saw my 3DS & me playing it during breaks and lunch. Everyone knows I love movies & books, but a lot of ppl (even my husband) were surprised I like AC. A lot of my friends, who are into gaming, think AC is boring. And trying to explain this game to ppl who don't game...is kinda weird, bc some of them don't see the point of playing a game like this. They see it as another full time job!

Not at all, everyone I've ever met is usually surprised by the fact that I even play video games to begin with, much less that I carry a handheld everywhere.

People who have no connection to videogames whatsoever probably won't expect me to be playing them - that includes collegues who are my age. People, however, who do know videogames and stuff, will probably guess that I might enjoy gaming, too. I think most people don't care at all, though.

Actually, when I pull out a portable gaming device or even a doll or other toy (because I collect & like to play with them), it's the children who are staring in total surprise. They remind me that I'm actually a grown-up now :)

This is pretty much my experience. Most of the people who will see me gaming on my DS or even my phone (I play MMOs on my phone) are people who are well-aware that I am a nerd/gamer and they generally are not surprised by it. In public, people tend to pay me no mind.

However, I did bring a doll to Hobby Lobby once to get a stand for her and the cashier was looking at me like she thought maybe all my lights weren't on upstairs. LOL.

Yes, Yes, and Yes.
I'm only 20 so it's pretty normal for someone as young as me to be into video games. I always carry my 3DS with me and play whenever I get bored.

Oddly enough I did shock a person at Gamestop when I preordered the Last of Us =/
I mean seriously, just because I bought Animal Crossing that day doesn't mean I can't play a good 'ol strategy/survival game!

a) A Gamer? Yes
b) Would be carrying your 3DS to street pass? I live in a city where people don't exactly walk. So I don't usually take my 3DS out unless I know that I'll be walking around in the university or at the mall.
c) Would be playing AC:NL? Yup, I used to play Wild World in between classes, planning on doing the same with New Leaf.

On a side note... In the past, people are always shocked when they found out that I like Animal Crossing. In real life I'm one of those really sarcastic/cynical type of people, nobody really expects me to have such "cute" hobbies. Nowadays, I don't think that anyone will be shocked... I mean, I kept talking about ACNL in my facebook statuses while waiting for my order so I'm sure that everyone knows by now.

No, no, and no to the three questions.

I had a lot of fun getting the DLC at Best Buy this week because I pulled out my 3DS XL right there in the store to get it. I did get some startled looks! :D I look and act my age (65), so people are more likely to think that I am somebody's granny than a gamer. I would imagine that most people expect gamers to be under 40 or so.

I *always* take my 3DS XL with me in my purse when I leave the house. This is not only in the futile attempt to get streetpasses but also because I want to keep my playcoin balance up (for fortune cookies in ACNL).

Back